1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What tablet for sketch drawing?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by AxlOz, Sep 5, 2021.

1. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Hey guys/gals, I'd like to get into a tablet for sketching as I find I churn through paper and use a lot from doing revisions of sketches.
    I sketch building designs - plans, elevations, perspectives - typically black and white 'sketchy' drawings for quick communication and testing of ideas. Nothing overly 'artistic' perse, but I like the sketchy look.

Any suggestions for what hardware to look at?

iPad pro is what most people say, but they're super exy..

I have an old iPad Air but I figure something slightly bigger would be better.

2. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

anything that uses the Apple Pencil
    • iPad Pro 12.9-inch
      (3rd, 4th and 5th generation)
    • iPad Pro 11-inch
      (1st, 2nd and 3rd generation)
    • iPad Air
      (4th generation)

3. OP
    OP
    AxlOz

AxlOz Member

4. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i THINK i recall Huion being sold at Aldi (during one of those weekly specials)??

5. OP
    OP
    AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Ah, interesting.. I'll keep an eye out for them!

I'd ideally get a new iPad pro with the pencil but they're soooo expensive..

6. i_trin

i_trin Member

You can use Apple Pencil 1st gen on iPad 7th ed

7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

AxlOz likes this.
  8. ecroF

ecroF Member

I'm pretty sure mines a 6th gen and the pencil works, I think 5-6 was when they made it compatible.

9. OP
    OP
    AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Isnt that a streaming device..?

10. Seikeden

Seikeden Member

toshiba z20-t is a low key surface competitor with wacom tech... no tilt support but other than that its a steal at like $300-400

11. drint

drint Member

Remarkable 2 is pretty good.

12. OP
    OP
    AxlOz

AxlOz Member

The Remarkable tablets look great!

I've been thinking more about this, and looking up the variosu options you guys have been posting (thank you!). I think what I'm after is something that just allows basic line drawings, which many of these will do nicely, then I just need to export that to JPG or PDF and I can work it up with colours and notations etc on my desktop.

One other thing I'd like, and I'm not sure this exists - is sketch software that gives me a grid to work on that I can use to scale my drawing from, but can be switched off when I export the sketch to PDF/JPG. If anyone has any knowledge of that sort of thing I'm all ears. The software/app may actually determine what tablet I get..

13. kogi

kogi Member

So are you after something portable? or something wired that connects to a computer

The stock standard apple notes app does this.

14. OP
    OP
    AxlOz

AxlOz Member

It doesn't have grid paper on my old version (iPad air), but I can draw in the Notes app. I like that it has a ruler too, but its pretty basic overall - which isnt a bad thing...
    I've been toying with the Autodesk SketchBook app on my old iPad and its quite good. I might be best to just get an iPad with the Apple pencil and keep using that as an app..

15. kogi

kogi Member

It does. Have you updated the notes app from the app store?
    42372DB1-A89A-4B82-A977-B86762D5206C.jpeg

If you want a mobile tablet. then ipad pencil is the best experience out of all of them

16. OP
    OP
    AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Updating my old clunker ipad now ;)

So the apple pencil is the best stylus/tablet-pencil-thingy around? If thats the case I may be best to just get a new basic iPad and then get the pencil as well..

17. boneburner

boneburner Member

Dropping a mere few weeks ago - the 2021 version of the XP-Pen Artist Pro would be my pick. 500 bucks with free shipping to Oz (introductory price - usually 630) Its a combination of a few recent good products (the innovator 16 & the artist 15.6 pro)

https://www.storexp-pen.com.au/buy/132.html

Reviews are scant so far - but be aware that XP-Pen hasnt made a bad product for many years now & from talk on forum boards, the new pen, with its higher sensitivity, is a bit of a wacom killer.

edit: Found one

Comes with everything you need & some you wont if you have usb-c port capable of directly powering it. Only thing missing is a stand (this is common at this pricepoint) so you need to purchase something separately, like the Parblo pr100 for instance. You can get a stand from xp pen, but if you have prime, that Parblo is almost the same price & far, far superior.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  18. kogi

kogi Member

Still depends if you want mobile or wired. Mobile = ipad/pencil. Wired = Wacom

19. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I liked the look of that thing but it really isn't transportable. Having to have it plugged into a power source all the time is a killer especially for one of the uses I want one for. I can make a small battery set up, it's only a 5V/2A power source but I wouldn't have thought I'd have to. I thought the idea of these things was you could take them with you? Is this lack of mobility a common thing with these tablets?

20. kogi

kogi Member

It's a "Drawing Tablet". which means a display with a pen input. Doesn't work without a computer attached