What tablet for sketch drawing?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by AxlOz, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I liked the look of that thing but it really isn't transportable. Having to have it plugged into a power source all the time is a killer especially for one of the uses I want one for. I can make a small battery set up, it's only a 5V/2A power source but I wouldn't have thought I'd have to. I thought the idea of these things was you could take them with you? Is this lack of mobility a common thing with these tablets?

2. kogi

kogi Member

It's a "Drawing Tablet". which means a display with a pen input. Doesn't work without a computer attached

3. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Ok, when I searched for drawing tablets I thought I saw some that didn't require connection all the time, maybe I didn't look close enough.

4. boneburner

boneburner Member

Yes, portable versions do exist (kind of) for drawing on the go. Like using one of the Samsung Galaxy Tab devices (android) almost any of that range. The lenovo Yoga was popular for many years as a portable drawing device. There is I believe even some e-ink A4 sized pads that pair with your smartphone, those I havnt looked into at all really - its a fairly new product segment & a mixed bag. Tho the more I think about it, it seems closer to what the OP needed/was looking for....

5. OP
    OP
    AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Yeah I'd prefer something portable. There's some graphics tablets out there that look amazing to work with, but my needs are a little more basic, and I think being able to sketch on site will be useful.
    I've just ordered a used iPad pro (2nd gen, 12.9") that I'll get a pencil for. We'll see how that goes and maybe switch to something else if its not working for me.

I am still curious about the Remarkable 2 though.. I only need b&w and it looks great!

6. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I'm not convinced what I want is available without a mega outlay. Wacom might be good but they don't seem to have anything fully portable for under about $2300. Huion have one for about $1200 which is portable and doesn't look too bad but I'd like to see one in person which doesn't seem likely in Oz.

7. boneburner

boneburner Member

Hmm.. that Huion is a full fledged pc - like a knock off Surface go - an interesting choice. Ive just had a look into the reMarkable2 & for the price to Oz + what it offers, its a dud in all but the most niche situations.

I'd almost feel happy about suggesting the apple ipad air 4th gen - if it wasnt for the disgusting extra 200 buck price tag for the pen.. just the pen.. It only further cements my disinterest for their ecosystem - and thats coming from someone who trained on Macs in the 90's, because for graphics there was really no other option.

So in the absence of alternatives at the price point, my vote for most useful would be the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite - for 540 au - Thats easily 300 bucks cheaper than the remarkable & with colour. Comes complete with s-pen (the passive one, which still scores highly) allows you to run any of the android drawing apps, of which there is a butt ton - its main downside afaik, is having to purge it first of Samsung bloatware.

The only reason they are 'market leaders' is because for 20 years they held a patent on a type of pen technology & ruthlessly went after anyone trying to muscle into their market. The patent expired a few years back, hence why we see many more companies offering similar (& way cheaper) products now.

8. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Yeah the Huion is pretty much a PC with a big touch screen, but if one wants fully portable it appears that's one of the best options. Whether it's better or worse than a Surface I guess comes down to user preference, the screen is bigger and by all reports I've seen it's better for drawing on, but I don't know if that makes it better. I'd really like to get a look at one but it doesn't appear that's possible, the closest I've seen to an Aussie store selling them is Hardly Normal selling a lower end Huion model that is out of stock.

9. OP
    OP
    AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Just an update for everyone here:

I ended up ordering a used 12.9" iPad pro, 2nd gen. Got the 1st gen apple pencil as well.
    I then purchased Procreate ($15 on app store).

So far its doing everything I'd been wanting, to the point where I'll reach for it over a regular sketch book for speedy work. The pressure sens and line work is really quite good. I'm impressed!