What thermal pads are best for replacing current RTX3080 ones?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Ap0c, Feb 20, 2021.

1. groovetek

groovetek Member

Thanks for sharing that info - makes me feel abit better about the 106-108 on warmer days, though will upgrade the front memory pads next I get a chance.

I'm doing 100.4mh/s at 240.8w, -240mhz, +1400mhz, but fan at 90% and mem at 104-108. Look forward to being able to bringing the fan speed down a little with better pads, and maybe push abit more performance at same power.

Soda likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Ap0c

Ap0c Member

These are my results:

Stock:
    60% pwr, 75% fan +0 memory
    86 MH/s
    Memory - 106 degrees

**Put Thermal Grizzley 2mm on the front of memory and Arctic 3mm on back

Memory - 86 degrees

I then Swapped Grizzly's for cheaper spongey 2mm pads to see how effective the higher priced Grizzly pads are

Memory - 100

So clearly using higher quality pads on the front makes a big difference.

I put the Thermal Grizzly's back on and i'm running the following OC Settings:

-200 Core, +1350 Memory, 67% Power Limit and 75% Fans

100MH/s
    Memory 90 Degrees

3. Slug69

Slug69 Member

Thanks heaps for this comparison, not many people try two different sets to check the quality. Well done.

4. Soda

Soda Member

Really good info, thank you.

5. groovetek

groovetek Member

Excellent. Thanks for doing this testing and validating just how much improvement one can get. Thinking I might go with Thermalright Odyssey (apparently 12.8W/mk) due to price:performance ratio. Will report back. At the moment, it's basically impossible to mine without memory in high 90's at bare minimum, and easy to get it to near 110.

6. woja

woja Member

They're the ones I got for mine. Dropped from throttling @ 110c to mid 90's which is a lot more comfortable.

7. SneakyBastd

SneakyBastd Member

I just started mining on my 3080 gaming OC - and shortly after I find myself here haha!

Some quick questions:
    Where did you guys get your 2mm and 3mm thick pads from? Everyone seems out of stock.
    What's a decent price?
    How many packs will I need for each side?

Thanks guys.

8. groovetek

groovetek Member

You can get Thermalright Odyssey 12.8W/mK pads off Aliexpress. Various sizes, pretty cheap, but expect to wait a few weeks at least... this thread outlines the Aorus Xtreme, not sure what thickness/how many pads you need for the Gaming OC.

SneakyBastd likes this.
  9. Soda

Soda Member

My understanding from a mate who has 3080 vision, same as oc I believe. Is 2mm front, 3mm back.

as above post, I got thermalright odyssey from Ali express. Currently in transit.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    SneakyBastd likes this.
  10. SneakyBastd

SneakyBastd Member

Thanks, ordered some, but not quite what I'd call "cheap" :lol:. Got 2mm and 3mm thermalright odyssey 85x45, 2 packs of each. Not sure if that's enough, too much, but if I have any leftovers I'll give them to a mate who has the same 3080 as me. I'll update here with how it goes.
    Thanks for helping.

Slug69 and groovetek like this.
  11. groovetek

groovetek Member

Good stuff... so... hitting 110°C and getting throttling has been increasingly worse the last 4-5 days (yes it has been mid 20's in my room), even with the rear pads and extra fans blowing on backplate, and fans under the GPU too.

Sick of waiting for the thermalright odyssey, I took it apart again. All the memory chips were coated in oil from the stock pads (pretty much the only pads I left stock). Unusually so, and the pads had left oil on the base plate as well.

Got rid of it, and initially installed some of the generic eBay stuff I had left over in 2mm. Problem for me was, the stock 2mm pads are very soft and flexible, whereas the 2mm stuff I had was much harder.

This resulted in me not being able to get contact between the GPU core itself and the heatsink, knew this was the problem straight away when I saw hot spot temps spike to 105°C and fans go wild.

So had to pull it apart again, and given I had some Arctic Blue 1.5mm pad left, installed that, and it worked perfectly. Memory temp has dropped by 15-20°C, and not needing any extra fans. Night and day difference, meaning I can simply max out as much as I want from the card, have lots of buffer for even warmer days, and be able to close up my case, etc. so that it's looking less ghetto.

It's possible that due to having lapped down the GPU plate a little to get a nice surface on it (see earlier post), this has very slightly offset the contact level of the GPU, so 1.5mm pads for the memory is now perfect.

miningprofile.png

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Slug69 and SneakyBastd like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Ap0c

Ap0c Member

I will never ever by a Gigabyte GPU again. The fact that even the Aorus Xtreme card which i purchased (close to the most expensive card and beefiest card on the market) used the cheapest pieces of shit thermal pads I’ve ever seen and a simple $30 aftermarket swap over see’s on average a 20 degree drop is just unforgivable. I would have forgiven them if the Gigabyte Eagle and Gigabyte OC had them but not the fucken AORUS lineup.....

13. power

power Member

it's funny, Gigabyte for the longest time were value sitting in the mid range and they offered not quite as good for less so it was a decent trade off for a GPU (their mobos just forget they exist generally junk). Then they introduced Aorus and decided to go all out and add a premium segment without really giving cards a premium treatment just a slightly better one. I have an Aorus (1080Ti) and well i've been happy with it but I don't think it was worth what i paid at the time and if i had to do that over i would have skipped it and bought ASUS or something although some ASUS stuff has been questionable too. Which Aorus Xtreme are you referring to?

14. groovetek

groovetek Member

We're both referring to our RTX 3080's...

So, after changing thermal pads on the memory, my core temp has gone up while mining (and most likely in gaming as well) - I think what's happening is, more heat is transferring to the heatsink from the mem chips.

It's not entirely impossible that GB chose to deliberately balance the cooling efficacy this way; robbing from memory cooling performance to leave more for the GPU.

Well, that would be my way of justifying it if I worked for GB and was asked the question.

In all seriousness though, like Ap0c, I will never buy another Aorus product again. $1749 for a premium card that looked like a monkey assembled it in 10 seconds and gave zero care as to whether the thermal pads were placed properly at all.

And their software? Absolute trash.

Slug69 likes this.
  15. SneakyBastd

SneakyBastd Member

What MH/s were you getting before the mod? I'm currently getting anywhere from 70-80mh/s, it varies. Hoping I will also hit 100mh/s when I mod.

16. The Beast

The Beast Member

FWIW, the eVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra seems to be very well put together... either that or I got a golden sample.

Stock cooler:
    96-100 MH/s with Mem Junct averaging around 84-86 C.

Going on water soon with an EK main block and MP5Works backplate block.

Slug69 likes this.
  17. groovetek

groovetek Member

The cooling design of the EVGA FTW3 seems to be excellent in terms of memory cooling. From what I've seen online, the GPU cooling is not quite up there with the Suprim X and ROG Strix, but a great package overall. Should hopefully receive my FTW3 Ultra tomorrow after 6 months hahaha.

Interestingly, my last EVGA was a 980Ti, and that had pretty bad memory cooling; back then it was EVGA using 2.0W/mK rubbish rubber-like thermal pads, connected to a plate that had no heatpipes, no fins, etc. backplate that was missing thermal pads so was just insulating the heat.

Guess these companies go through different phases. Aorus went all fancy with the 4-slot behemoth design, fancy-pants LCD screen on the side, but dropped the ball with generally poor QC, strange manufacturing quirks with the base cold plate finish, and shit thermal pads... and overpriced.

But now that I've changed the pads, lapped the cold plate, I've addressed its shortcomings and now it's now a beast of a card, but yes, this will be my first and last Aorus card. I should say I've never had problems with non-Aorus GB cards in the past, and they seemed to be priced competitively and give good cooling/performance in the past.

Looking back, my first GB card was a MAYA AP64D-H Radeon 8500 AGP card. I think I was 16 or 17 at the time... can't believe one of the reviews of it is still online to this day! Gigabyte MAYA AP64D-H RADEON 8500 Video Card Review (ixbtlabs.com)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  18. Slug69

Slug69 Member

All of the manufacturers of the 3090's have failed really. My PNY 3090 has a really nice thick back plate but you still need a heatsink on the back if you don't want to see the memory throttling. It's just silly, there is a heatsink for memory modules on one side but not on the reverse side. Why don't they make an integrated heatsink for the back plate?

I have made a neat solution with the heatsink and 80mm fan commonly seen online. I don't go over 90C now no matter what I am doing and have the GPU fans about 65%

EDIT: I have fully enclosed my case now too.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  19. groovetek

groovetek Member

EVGA FTW3 Ultra... Is a beast.
    Out of the box, 84 degC memory temp with fans at 85%. Wonderful.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  20. The Beast

The Beast Member

Yeah, it's great. PM me your mining clock settings, you're hashing better than me :)