1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

What thermal pads are best for replacing current RTX3080 ones?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Ap0c, Feb 20, 2021.

1. mark_vr_limited

mark_vr_limited Member

If anyone has some spare decent thermal pads in sydney, would really like to buy from you... everywhere is out of stock

2. groovetek

groovetek Member

How soon do u need them? If you can wait a few weeks, lots of options from AliExpress.

3. Soda

Soda Member

my order from aliexpress arrived in a week, it was from the store Middle999.
    I got some Noctua NT-H1 10g also, which was very well priced and arrived faster than any pccasegear order i had ... ever.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  4. groovetek

groovetek Member

5. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

So I have been on a journey that started with this thread, and have just learned what a plastic spudger is.

Learn something new every day!

#winning

Slug69 likes this.
  6. Slug69

Slug69 Member

Found some information about GDDR6 family memory. Operating temps Micron specifies are 0C to 95C. Will provide link later.

I have been able to keep my 3090 at 90c while mining with external heatsink, fan, and thermal pad on backplane so haven't needed to crack the back off it.

7. The Beast

The Beast Member

3090 and 3080 used GDDR6X, which has a higher memory TJ Max. This article suggests it's about 105C or 110C.

8. Slug69

Slug69 Member

Sure, but the suggested operating temps are 0 - 95C for GDDR6. There is no documentation anywhere for GDDR6X. Just because the chips get to the temps explained doesn't mean they should be there.

9. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

I'm almost certain there was a datasheet for gddr6x listing as 0-95 for operating temps, no info on hotspot though, but 110 looks like where it throttles so that makes sense.

10. groovetek

groovetek Member

Earlier in this thread someone posted a formal nvidia response regarding concerns on memory temps and their advice is that 110 is normal for 3080/3090's GDDR6X.

Elchupacabraj likes this.
  11. groovetek

groovetek Member

So... I've been sitting around 94-96 degrees with the Arctic 6.0W/mK pads... and around 92 with a heatsink on the backplate.

Or so I thought... and here's a lesson when working on your PC - start and finish it one go - don't go have dinner then resume working on it later on.

I received my Thermalright Extreme Odyssey 1.5mm pads, thought I'd put them on to further improve the thermals, only to realize on the 2 main memory pads (the ones with 3 GDDR6X chips each), I had left the plastic film on the arctic pads. Classic.

Anyway... feel pretty silly at this point. Luckily the film didn't melt onto the GDDR6X chips. Got rid of them, put on the thermalright, and without the heatsink on the backplate, with fans turned down to 75%, now the memory temp peaks at 78-80 degrees.

Result!

shockhorror.jpg

SneakyBastd and FuzwaldQO like this.
  12. The Beast

The Beast Member

Wow, that was a lucky catch! I hear The Verge is hiring :lol:.

groovetek likes this.
  13. groovetek

groovetek Member

Haha, I left the plastic film on there because I didn't want the memory to short circuit through the thermal pad onto the metal heatsink.

Honestly though, this kind of shows just how garbage the stock Aorus pads were... if 6W/mk arctic pads + plastic film was still 14°C or so cooler than original pads.

Mining aside, this upgrade is pretty much mandatory on all Aorus (and likely all GB) cards, as even in gaming the memory chips can get pretty hot too (though I never previously paid attention to it). As the cooler fan speeds aren't linked to memory temp, one really needs to ensure that under all possible scenarios, the GDDR6X stays cool.

Effectively dropping from 110°C and throttling even with fans at 100% down to 80°C with fans at 75%... it's actually over 30°C worth of improvement. Wild.

SneakyBastd likes this.
  14. SneakyBastd

SneakyBastd Member

I did the thermal pads for my Gigabyte gaming 3080 OC. Put 3mm thermalright odyssey on the back, and 2mm on the front. I've gone from 100% fans, (plus deskfan 100% aimed at gpu) -1000 core, -1000 mem, 200w and having memory temps around 104-108c, to auto fans (now 62%), -300 core, +900 mem, 225w and memory is holding at 84c.
    Gone from 80mh/s to about 94mh/s now, but still tweaking it up. A solid 20c drop! I don't have to watch it like a hawk anymore yay.
    But seriously, fuck gigabyte for making this necessary. Only bought this because it was all that was left on launch night. Atleast it's got some solid cooling now. Highly recommended mod.

The backplate is bulging slightly, but no big deal. However, if you can get 2.5mm for the back, I'd probably go that instead.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    groovetek, Soda and Elchupacabraj like this.
  15. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Ordered some kryonaut paste and a selection of the thermalright pads from Amazon, hopefully they show up next week. The mem temps on my 3080 are pretty bad so I suspect either low quality pads, a bad factory application or both which seems to be a pretty standard affair.

16. SneakyBastd

SneakyBastd Member

When you peel the crap they use for thermal pads off your 3080, you will know why it runs so hot. The stock pads on mine were like soggy tofu. Dogshit would probably have performed better.

17. groovetek

groovetek Member

Just want to confirm... Did you mean +1000mhz memory? I have heard of people underclocking the memory as it jumps to tighter timings but wasn't sure I had seen any 3080 users do that.

18. SneakyBastd

SneakyBastd Member

I settled on 1309.5mhz memory which is 10475 in nicehash settings. Gets me about 98MH/S and hasn't budged off 86C so far.

19. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Yeah, I can't wait to get them off, haven't even inspected them yet but the 105+ junction sort of give it away.

I went the expensive route with amazon because I cbf waiting for ali express and have the 12.8w/mk pads on the way, should hopefully be a significant upgrade.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Slug69 likes this.
  20. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

upload_2021-4-12_14-45-28.png

Pulled the trigger from Aliexpress. I couldn't justify paying twice the price from Amazon to get is a week earlier. Also took me a while to confirm that my Zotac AMP Holo needs 2mm pad all round, rather than a mix of sizes front and back. But I'm pretty sure now... I think lol. Now to hurry up and wait for it to arrive.