What thermal pads are best for replacing current RTX3080 ones?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Ap0c, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

If you run into any trouble I'll probably have some .5 & 1mm pads left over. Turns out my Amazon order wasn't too much more than Ali express since I'm a prime member and got free postage.

2. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Cheers for the offer!

To be fair, yeah I probably only saved $12 or so on a $41 order ($5 discount for new member) when I take out the free Prime postage. But still that would be like paying $12 extra to get it a week earlier ha.

Edit:
    I'm actually tempted to do this to the Zotac, still looks pretty good and has way more air with less noise. But I just can't justify $100 on fans and more on the other bits right atm.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  3. The Beast

The Beast Member

I've said it before, but I'm really impressed by eVGA build quality. I'm running 10451 (1306.5mhz) with an 85% fan and getting 84C on mem junct.

I get this today though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also going to fit this to the back:

[​IMG]

The MP5Works rear block comes with a massive thermal pad, but I think with the EK backplate I should be able to use thermal paste instead which should work great.

Elchupacabraj likes this.
  4. groovetek

groovetek Member

Silicon lottery plays a big part on the eventual memory speeds/hashrate, and my EVGA FTW3 Ultra was the winner. Left it on 85% fan speed, about 84°C memory temp, +1700mhz on memory, 240W, hashed at 104mh/s for 11 days straight with near 10,000 shares in that time and zero rejections. Sad to see it go.

My Aorus Xtreme now is pretty good, with the lapped GPU heatsink the GPU cooling outperforms the FTW3 over prolonged 3Dmark stress test, and now with thermalright pads, now can leave at 65% fan speed to match the EVGA memory temps (with higher fan it can drop and hold at 80°C with my side glass panel on so it's approx 4°C cooler), but alas didn't win silicon lottery as much with its GDDR6X compared to that on my FTW3, but still above average as I can leave at +1500mhz on memory, 240W also, hashes at 101.5mh/s all day (except when I game).

5. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

That's a nice result. I on the other hand... have finally got mine stable at +1050 :lol:

Hopefully the new thermal pads I have on the way might help out in that regard.

6. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

I figure if I choose to do some mining in my downtime I can recover that extra expense pretty quick, thats one extra week of unthrottled gddr6x, even if i don't I just can't stand seeing such high temps playing something like cyberpunk, I know nvidia say its "normal" or whatever, but no, seing the difference decent pads can make I want them on there asap especially since I now have the 3080 crammed into a sff enclosure.

That actually looks legit on the zotac, like not even terrible, its really quite neat.

groovetek and FuzwaldQO like this.
  7. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

I know, right? With a little work, he even reckons you could get the shroud over the bigger fans. Would almost look factory. But it still looks good even like this:
    [​IMG]

woja, jjjc_93 and Elchupacabraj like this.
  8. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Found the reason for throttling memory, no application of factory pads on all but one of the memory modules! Yikes.

Edit:
    Actually the residue kind of looks like there were pads there at one point, weird.

Edit edit:
    Now that the memory actually has thermal pads installed in the form of Thermalright odyssey 12.8w/mk pads, the gddr6x now hits 89 junction temp under heavy load, 100% power limit and 50~ Fan speed (auto fan curve) so no optimisation. Huge improvement

Thermal grizzly kryonaut on the die has knocked off ten degrees idle and about the same under load.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    FuzwaldQO likes this.
  9. The Beast

The Beast Member

Wait what? There were NO pads on from the factory? Holy sheeeit. What brand/model do you have??

10. groovetek

groovetek Member

That's ridiculous. You should really take a photo of this. The sad thing about the supply situation aside from the impact on pricing is that it's not feasible to get replacement or credit/return. Customer service and quality goes down the drain too.

GB flat out didn't respond - refused to acknowledge or apologize for the terrible factory application of thermal pads on my Aorus, but to be missing pads entirely? Atrocious.

11. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Correct, only one module had a factory fitted thermal pad! The rest appeared to have residue on the cold plate indicating that pads had been installed at some point but clearly didn't make it into the finished product.

The card is a Colorful Vulcan OC, so not a low end model or anything, I wanted to try one after liking the look of their 2080ti and went to the effort of chasing up evatech about if they would be getting in and submitting an expression of interest so I ended up getting one not long after launch, all the teardowns of this card and PCB made it look like a strong well built card, (with thermal pads :lol:) and with a good cooler and their other models looked good too. I don't know if their QC is just shit or I just got a dud assembled by the new kid or something, they have a good rep and I haven't seen anyone else complaining of this type of issue, and from what I can tell people here who have colorful cards are really happy, but it's not a good look.

Fucking glad I decided to try my hand at mining in down time and saw the memory almost instantly throttle so I put any of that activity on hold until I had good quality pads. If I was just gaming I probably wouldn't have noticed until I got to the stage where I wanted to change the paste on the die but that might have been too late.

The weird thing is the memory wasn't getting TOO hot while gaming, something like cyberpunk with all the bells and whistles was getting it toasty but not hot enough to throttle, I thought it just had shit pads, but the attempt to mine made me instantly buy replacement pads.

Yeah, exactly, I didn't even bother to document it for these reasons.

Temps are from what I can tell, good now, settles in at ~80 while mining 50% fans, +1000mem which is my new stress test for memory :lol:, I'm unsure if I will persist with it though, it was more of a curiosity, but it did help me uncover this situation.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  12. SneakyBastd

SneakyBastd Member

No memory pad at all... that's a new one!
    Loving the thermal pads in my gigabyte gaming OC. I've got it dialled in now. Core 1245, Memory 10475, 225w max, auto fans to keep memory at 85c or below. ~99MH/S.
    Mostly the fans idle, but when the room warms up the fans spin up slightly and you can see it immediately cool the memory down. Before the mod, fan speed meant nothing. It simply didn't cool the memory at all. The default pads are more like thermal insulators, not conductors!

Elchupacabraj and groovetek like this.
  13. groovetek

groovetek Member

How are you getting the fans to control on memory temp rather than GPU temp? I need to know, right now, lol.

14. SneakyBastd

SneakyBastd Member

I use Nicehash at the moment, and the OCTune page has options. I set the core/mem clocks directly from that, then I go to the fans section, "target VRAM/hotspot", and set the memory temp for 85c.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ibbwyxc1v5kma3/nicehash.jpg?dl=0

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  15. ballfire99

ballfire99 Member

i've got the same card . currently thermal throttling with a memory temp of 110C hash rate ~79Mh. which pads did you change ? (just the memory pads ?)

16. SneakyBastd

SneakyBastd Member

Yes, just the memory pads. I left the other ones in place.
    I put 2mm thermalright odyssey on the memory chips themselves, and 3mm on the rear between the pcb and backplate.
    A single 85x45mm of each is easily enough to cover the memory chips.

And those temps/hashrate were almost exactly what I got with the stock card also.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    ballfire99 likes this.
  17. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Well to be fair, there was ONE :lol:

Still can't believe it, I keep looking on the floor like they fell off when I removed the cooler and I didn't see them drop.

Anyway, 85 degrees, 98.5mh fans 50% is a huge improvement.

Slug69 and SneakyBastd like this.
  18. Slug69

Slug69 Member

Amazing story. Who is game though to complain and send their cards back? Crazy times.

19. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

thermal pads.jpg

I really wasn't expecting a delivery from Aliexpress to be that quick. Ordered on the 12th, arrived today (23rd). I guess it was from them rather than partners with stupid delivery times, so theres that. But still, not bad I think.

Edit:
    My only problem now is that I have a full weekend and won't be able to take my card apart ha.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  20. Dark_chaos

Dark_chaos Member

I just did the pads on my MSI 3080 Suprim X yesterday. Doesn't take long at all.... but dayummm the thermal performance difference is insane!

Used Kryonaut Paste on the core, which netted me 2 less degrees on 3DMark. The Thermalright pads though.... from 100 degress with the fan on 100% to 70 degrees with the fan on 65%.

Appreciate all the information that was on here :thumbup: