1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

What thermal pads are best for replacing current RTX3080 ones?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Ap0c, Feb 20, 2021.

1. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

Can someone help me out here or point me in the right direction for thermal pad help on my newly installed 3080 vector block? My card is a Zotac gaming geforce rtx 3080 trinity oc.

Pre installation, gpu temps were around 65 playing cyberpunk and warzone, memory temps were around 70.
    After i installed the block, the gpu temps have dropped to around 40 but the memory temps have remained the same, probably a little worse. I saw it get to 74 during warzone for the first time tonight.

EK-Quantum Vector Trinity RTX 3080/3090 Backplate is the backplate i am using, and i used this as method for my thermal pads.

Attached Files:

2. The Beast

The Beast Member

That might be ok, I got about 10 degree drop from air to water on memory junction temp, but haven't really checked it in games as I'm on a temp windows install for now..

First, so I know we're comparing the same thing, when you say memory temps are you talking about memory junction, or something else?

I just put a EK-Quantum Vector FTW3 on my 3080 (FTW3 Ultra) and when away overnight... these are my temps after 26hrs straight mining:

39.5 AVG - 41.0 MAX - GPU (HWiNFO64)
    52.1 AVG - 53.2 MAX - GPU2 (EVGA iCX sensor)
    54.7 AVG - 56.7 MAX - GPU Hot Spot Temperature (HWiNFO64)

74.7 AVG - 76.0 MAX - Memory Junction Temperature (HWiNFO64)
    46.9 AVG - 50.9 MAX - MEM1 (EVGA iCX sensor)
    52.4 AVG - 53.7 MAX - MEM2 (EVGA iCX sensor)
    50.1 AVG - 51.3 MAX - MEM3 (EVGA iCX sensor)

44.5 AVG - 45.6 MAX - PWR1 (EVGA iCX sensor)
    48.5 AVG - 49.9 MAX - PWR2 (EVGA iCX sensor)
    49.2 AVG - 50.4 MAX - PWR3 (EVGA iCX sensor)
    61.1 AVG - 62.3 MAX - PWR4 (EVGA iCX sensor)
    50.5 AVG - 51.7 MAX - PWR5 (EVGA iCX sensor)

This is just in a test loop with the CPU running on a single 360 rad (will be a 360 rad each when done), so not as efficient as it could be.

On air the card would sit at about 84-86 Memory Junction Temp with fans at 85%, so this is a definite 10 degree drop and significantly quieter.

3. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

I'm not sure what i should use as the measure of the memory? Hot spot or Junction?

This is warzone for 15mins.

Attached Files:

4. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

Junction is probably the only reading you'll have for memory, I think evga cards have additional sensors they can read from.

Your memory temps already looked good pre waterblock, I wouldn't worry about an extra 4 degrees, it likely would have hit that or over at some point if left on air. Install a mining client and see how it goes for a few minutes even if you don't intent to mine, that will smash the memory and give you a good idea of how that cooling is going, or just don't worry about it, enjoy the fanless GPU and low core temps.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  5. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

I just ran nicehash for 15mins.

Memory temperatures hit 112deg.

Attached Files:

6. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

maybe not so good, 110 is throttle territory, what pads did you use? Something is up there, a good air cooler sits around 80-86.

7. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

I used the pads that came with the EK waterblock and backplate, as seen in the image posted at the top of this thread.

This is the instructions and pad size i used with the front block.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  8. SneakyBastd

SneakyBastd Member

Wuzza, that definitely doesn't look right. It's almost like the pads are not contacting the heatsink, or the supplied pads are absolutely terrible. I'd make sure the pads you are using are properly covering the memory chips, and if so, that they are squished down firmly by the heatsink when the screws are all done up. Assuming they are, I'd be trying a better brand of pads. GL!

WuzzA21 likes this.
  9. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

I thought something was odd, it was obvious when nicehash started getting hot.

10. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

SneakyBastd it is just odd that the ram runs average, to above average when gaming.

I'll pull the block off in the next few days and see what is going on.

11. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

As I posted earlier in this thread, I had all but one ram module with NO pads on them at all, in gaming they weren't crazy hot, but mining they would go straight to 110, the mining really exposed the issue.

Now with decent pads and an air-cooler they max out at 86 with the mining test, and 70ish gaming, I think the zero contact thing is probably likely, might only be a partial thing but a hotspot is a hotspot even if the rest are running nice and cool.

12. The Beast

The Beast Member

Whoa, that is NOT good and definitely not normal. As I said, I get 74 degrees MAX on Junction Temps when mining with basically the exact same block, backplate and thermal pads.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you didn't take the protective film of both sides of the thermal pads.

I'm suggesting that because it literally happened to anther bloke in this thread and he had the same thermal issues:

The thermal pads provided by EK have a hard clear protection on one side, and a thin blue tinted plastic protection on the other that you need to lift off with tweezers or similar. If you didn't do that then then you'll need to do it for the front and back of the block.

This would explain why your core was cool (thermal paste) but memory is overheating like crazy.

13. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

I'll have a look, i took the clear side (sticky side) off first, then used tweezers to take off the blue plastic top.
    This is the 7th gpu i have installed a block on, but first one with an issue.

14. The Beast

The Beast Member

Hmm. Then I'm at a loss as to why yours is running so hot.

I did trim my backplate pads very carefully to ensure they sat in the recessed parts of the backplate accurately, but even a sloppy job shouldn't create that much of a difference.

15. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

Shout out to The Beast for his lengthy replies that convinced me to open my loop and inspect my gpu block mounting.

Turns out i missed a memory module on my card. Good thing i only used it for 24hours.

Temps went from 112deg to 60 whilst using nicehash. 85mh :)

Attached Files:

16. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

The mining test is the new did myself or the manufacturer derp out on the thermal pads test, and it consistently reveals the truth. Another benefit of mining :lol:

Glad you found the issue man, I had the same problem only the factory forgot to put my thermal pads on.

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  17. WuzzA21

WuzzA21 Member

I thought something was up when i used the miner and it burnt down the house.

Thank you very much for your help also mate. I appreciate it.

groovetek and FuzwaldQO like this.
  18. groovetek

groovetek Member

Classic. Great it's all sorted now! You can sell the 3080 and buy a new house just about with the way things are going.

Elchupacabraj likes this.
  19. The Beast

The Beast Member

Happy days!

20. MarcosG

MarcosG New Member

Hey I have the same card ( well Gigabyte are saying it should be returned fixed next week ) and I'm thinking of replacing the pads myself. Can you tell me if what you ordered was enough to do the front and back? I'm also heard that 3mm might be just a little thick for the back? Many thanks.