What to do in Taipei

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Court Jester, Dec 27, 2018.

1. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Wtf.. My taiwan wife and friends, all call it boba

But anyway, hit up the night market and get some stinky tofu, shaved ice, fried chicken and you'll be set.

Check out klook website for things to do (it's like Groupon), but overall things aren't that cheap over there. Street food is cheaper, but you'll be eating more of it as it's smaller portions

Besides the typical beef noodle soup, the pork belly rice and also the shredded chicken rice is excellent. Also, salty soy milk is great. One thing I found great, is the sandwiches. They always make them 3 pieces of bread and they're really good, but hit up any breakfast place and you'll have a good feed

McDonald's over there has corn soup and also spicy fried chicken, which are both yum. And also try TKK

2. Revenge

Revenge Member

The first two didn't achieve the desired results, what's the point of a third?

3. koss

koss Member

BBC just released this piece on Taiwan's tech industry, amazing place.

Shame about the pollution from 2 stroke scooters. You would think eBikes would be the go for exercise instead of hassle making charging stations for electric scooters.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    archie likes this.
  4. sanjay

sanjay Member

I went to Taipei for a few days in 2013 when i was living in HK and had a bit of leave I wanted to use. Truth be told, i really didn't enjoy it. the metro system leaves a lot to be desired (stations are in bad locations and transferring between lines is a pain) and there is nowhere near as much english penetration as there is even in most major mainland chinese cities i had been to (I appreciate that that is in no small part my fault for not being able to speak chinese).

The night markets were cool but there's only so much weird (and not particularly tasty) food you can eat before you get over it.

5. pezzy

pezzy Member

going there next week for about a week. it will be my first time. will report back.

plans so far is jiufen and eating lol.

6. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Try ducks blood. Omg it’s amazing!

7B1F7756-453B-4841-9CD8-A0B8697D49DB.jpeg

7. pezzy

pezzy Member

just got back and i can say taiwan (or taipei specifically) is an amazing city. i had low expectations so i was pleasantly surprised. it's pretty much like hong kong 30 yrs ago. the mix of modern and old really gives it character, and it is for that reason why i enjoyed the city so much. taiwanese people are indeed super honest and friendly. had a few scenarios where people gave me a discount due to inconveniences that were not even in their control. the food is up there, especially if one enjoys eating offals and all that.

supasaiyan likes this.
  8. archie

archie Member

thanks for the ideas guys, just booked a work trip for a week.
    2.5 days in HK and 2.5 days in TPE.. May next year.

business class all the way, thankyou FF points :D