What to do with 50 years worth of electronic components

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by g@z, Oct 21, 2013.

1. g@z

g@z Member

Howdy,

I have a shed full of electronic components and instruments, gathered over the last 50 years or so. It's time move them on to someone who will use them.

However, I have no idea where to look for people that would want any of it as it seems electronics is a bit of a dying art. I really don't want to send stuff to landfill if it's still usable.

Any ideas? It's in country VIC so it's a bit of a trip to view everything.

Regards,
    g@z.

2. Jim G

Jim G Member

Can you provide some examples of what you have? Hard to know without more specifics.

3. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

pics tell many words!

4. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

It's really not that dead, just different.

People don't buy kits from Dick Smith anymore, they read tutorials on Instructables and buy parts from RS Components.

And then there's people like me who are stupid enough to go study it at uni.

5. paulvk

paulvk Member

"I have a shed full of electronic components and instruments, gathered over the last 50 years or so"

So I am not the only one. Try here http://www.wia.org.au/ a lot of people that are like you and I are members, heck they may even pay money for it!

6. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Making is taking off recently. There was a lull during the late 90's and during the 00's when everyone got a boner for IT, but I'm sure a local hackerspace would love a donation of gear.

http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Melbourne

7. OP
    OP
    g@z

g@z Member

yeah, pics would be good. I'll see what I can do as I think I might have some at home, but it's pics of hundreds of boxes :)

But you name it, it's there. Really. ICs, Valves, speakers, transformers, coil winding copper, olds scopes, component bridge, ICs, resistors by thousand, caps, sockets, power supplies, plug packs, connectors, cct board making stuff, benches, 240v electrical stuff, 50 or so different rolls of colour coded wire on a 6 x 8 foot frame, instrument boxes, chassis stuff.

I think there is even a 1 inch round TV tube in there somewhere. Maybe even some of the very first LEDs that when dad tried to tell people about these diodes that emit light, they all though he was lying ;)

Anyone going to Box Hill TAFE? I was thinking a donation to them.

Regards,
    g@z.

8. mtma

mtma Member

For me one of the bigger deals with old components are whether they're sorted or not. At one stage I had a 60kg dive box full of assorted caps, resistors, semis etc. but really it wasn't worth keeping in the end because you're wasting too much time going in just to get a couple of 5% carbon resistors (for e.g.... there were actually 10% ones in there too!) or something. Ended up just splitting the worthwhile bits and bobs out and scrapping the rest of it.

The hackerspace suggestion would be probably be a good one.

Also there are some very coveted tubes from their original manufacturers. I doubt the same will ever happen with stuff like horizontal deflection output transistors though :lol:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  9. @rt

@rt Member

There is nothing I'd like more than to rummage through another hobbyist
    of 50 yrs stuff, and it be legal.
    Seriously, I can't think of too many better ways to spend a day.

pm sent.. I would really like to know about the valves :D

I'm Box Hill, but living in Qld (regret it at the moment)
    Don't give it to the TAFE, they're still too dumb to know what's valuable.

10. Veefy

Veefy Member

ebay them if they are commonly used audiophile models and you want money.

11. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

My thoughts exactly on all accounts!

I just discovered an amateur radio and electronics club here in bendigo last week, I managed to attended the monthly meet at the last minute and had a blast spending a couple of hours with fellow enthusiasts! A day spent around 50 years of electronics history would be heaven :D

I second the suggestion of hackerspace or ideally, any place where you think this stuff is actually going to be used and not end up in landfill!

Out of curiosity, are you still in the hobby or just looking to move on your stash? I still regret leaving my trove when I moved to melbourne years ago and are struggling to regain my hobby again now that I have some space for it. It annoys me every time that I have to hunt through ebay, RS, digikey or pay a ridiculous markup from my local jaycar for the most basic things that I used to have heaps of :(

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  12. Symon

Symon (Plugging your Socket)

Some years ago I was friends with the owner of the local Dick Smith store, he was approached by a lady who's father used to run a Tandy Electronics shop and had been collecting stuff for years. I dropped around and picked up all sorts of stuff, the majority of it still in the original boxes. What I didn't use I sold and gave the money back to the lady, which was about $500.

My advice is to give it to another enthusiast, they will appreciate it more. A TAFE college will just dump it.

My vote is to give it to @rt.

13. OP
    OP
    g@z

g@z Member

I found some photos, but I'll need to upload them. OCAU pix won't take a pic over 500K so I'll have to go photo bucket or something tomorrow so you don't loose too much detail.

Just FYI this is my dads stuff. Self taught electronics engineer. Made his first valve radio that lit up his bedroom from parts he scavenged from the bins out the back of radio shops back in the UK before WWII. He ran his own business for decades and this is all the left over components.

It's a few hours from Melbourne so having someone look over is not going to be easy.

It needs to got to a good place to convince him to part with most of it so cash will come first and then someone else that shares the passion 2nd.

Regards,
    g@z.

14. @rt

@rt Member

Consider me for second when it comes to what I asked about,
    I've got this to show for myself :)

[​IMG]

The pots are props

15. OP
    OP
    g@z

g@z Member

Some photos!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,
    g@z.

16. @rt

@rt Member

You weren't kidding about the "shed full".

17. OP
    OP
    g@z

g@z Member

There are more boxes. But boxes and other junk prevents photos of the extra boxes.

But you can zoom in and make out details of what is in each box. All sorted :)

Regards,
    g@z.

18. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

Wow. Seriously, much respect to your dad for his collection :thumbup:

19. Whoreof Babylon

Whoreof Babylon Member

I would be interested in any RF gear, Spectrum Analyzers, SWR meters, Dummy Loads, ECT.

Also after a CRO over 15Mhz if the price is right.

20. Symon

Symon (Plugging your Socket)

Hmmm.... I'm thinking a road trip down but I'm in the middle of buying a house at the moment. How quickly does he want it gone?