1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with half a pig. The pig has arrived!

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by nanaglenmum, Nov 27, 2011.

1. nanaglenmum

nanaglenmum Member

We are getting half a pig in the next week or two, already dressed and ready to go. I'd like to showcase it for Christmas lunch, (there will only be 4 adults and 2 kids so obviously just some of it). What do you suggest? We did request he keep the belly intact as my brother (Scon) made an awesome dish with some for Easter one year, other than that, I think it will just be butchered in the standard way. We are also planning on a side of salmon and perhaps some bbq prawns??? Oh yeah, and we have a wood fired oven, satay grill, bbq (of course) and a smoker...

2. trentski

trentski Member

Ham is an obvious one for the leg, you could slow roast the shoulder as well.

3. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

How are 4 adults and 2 kids going to finish half a pig :confused: Sounds as if you will have piggy leftovers for a good part of the next year ;)

Were you thinking of keeping it whole and cooking the whole lot over fire, or butchering it up and making individual dishes?

4. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

was going to suggest this....

but you only have half a pig and not enough other meats.

no epic meal time for j0!

5. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

... Butcher it? I mean once it's butchered, it's really just a question of what to do with each cut. Shoulder's great for slow roasting, loin makes awesome chops (or a great roast if you cant roast slowly for some reason, but you wont get the flavour you get from a really long slow roasted shoulder), make a ham out of the leg, make bacon out of the back, ...

And make sausages out of the odds and ends :p

6. username_taken

username_taken Member

slow roast the shoulder with the leg still attached. make sure you score the skin well so you get kick ass crackling. Jamie Oliver actually just did this the other day in his new show 'jamie's great britain' it looked fantastic.

you've got an outdoor pizza oven right? cook it in there for bonus points.

7. OP
    OP
    nanaglenmum

nanaglenmum Member

I think it will already be butchered into the usual cuts, but I know he is saving me a big piece of belly.
    (Truth be told, I just wish Scon would come and cook it for me again!)

8. scon

scon Member

Hah! You owe me a visit! :D

Why not try brining the ham and then doing a super slow cook in hay in the wood fired oven for something a little different?

We eat these loin chops reasonably often and they're delicious.

Also, you've got a smoker too! That's probably the thing you should be thinking about using the most! Have you guys used it yet? Make some chorizo!

9. username_taken

username_taken Member

oh yeah that's a great idea ... a friend of mine did that a few years ago and I'm told it was brilliant.

10. rahl

rahl Member

How big's the half a pig? Porker size? Are you getting half the head too? It's great for brawn.

The pork belly makes a great roast with excellent crackling although it can be a bit fatty for some people. We usually roast the belly as an entree when we have large gatherings.

As other's have said, slow roast the shoulder or bone it out and roll it for smoked ham.

We're spit roasting a few whole Berkshire pigs this summer. We'll probably debone a 20kg grower, roll it and do a roast porchetta too.

11. OP
    OP
    nanaglenmum

nanaglenmum Member

You don't have to work around school holidays or travel with kids! And we've got all the cool cooking stuff - massive kitchen, wood fired oven, smoker, outdoor satay grill, home bred chooks & ducks....need I go on?

I love the idea of
    Got a link for brining ham? And can it be done with just pork 'cause it won't be ham when we get it and the weather is way to humid here to make our own as we found out when we tried making salami.

12. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

Three little words:

Man.Vs.Food.

On a more serious note: Man Vs Food.

13. scon

scon Member

Charcuterie has everything you need. I think it's even got the recipe for cooking in hay - have a look.

14. OP
    OP
    nanaglenmum

nanaglenmum Member

Thanks! I'll have to get it back from Matthew's mate!

15. 1shot1kill

1shot1kill Member

It rather depends on the size of the pig. When I was a kid, Dad cooked up a whole pig in the oven and it only just fed the six of us.

16. OP
    OP
    nanaglenmum

nanaglenmum Member

The Pig has Arrived!

Woohoo! My half pig has arrived! I wasn't sure how it would be butchered, but here is the breakdown:
    28 chops - 4.7kg
    Belly - 2.9kg
    2 Shoulders - Each over 3kg
    2 Legs - Each over 3kg
    1 Kidney + Fat - 310g
    1 Tail - 81g
    1/2 Head - 2.8kg

Unfortunately my kitchen scales have a max of 3kg, so I'm not sure how big the larger cuts are. Now to figure out how to cut them into smaller pieces before I freeze them as we are only a family of 4 (our 2 girls are only 6 and 9 so not massive eaters...yet).

Keep those suggestions coming! I've never cooked a pig's head or tail before! Unfortunately there were no trotters. :( Will definately ask for them next time as they are a favourite of mine! As stated earlier, I would like to do something really special with some of it for Christmas (we will be 4 adults and the 2 kids).

Whaddya reckon??????

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71363270@N08/6445328555/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71363270@N08/6445328203/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71363270@N08/6445327943/

This last picture is what was included except the chops (I had already put them in the freezer - these bits are going in the fridge over night until I figure out what I'm going to do with them.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
  17. kix

kix Member

So you would seriously eat the pigs head? :sick:

18. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

what is wrong with the pigs head? have you not seen a pig cooked on a spit? every part is fair game to eat.

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't eat pork, but I'd probably use the head and tail to make some stock.

20. kix

kix Member

I have seen many and have never seen anyone dig into the head or the tail.
    I't usually given to the dogs.