What to do with old hardware?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by DaveQB, Sep 24, 2018.

1. DaveQB

DaveQB Member

Hey all,

I couldn't find a forum best for this.

So I have a bunch of old parts, socket 370 and slot 1 motherboards and CPUs, Pentiums II, EDO and SD RAM, AT keyboards and even more modern items like socket 939 motherboards and DDR ram. Besides landfill and wall art, any thoughts on what else more worthwhile this can be used for?

Thanks.

2. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

3. OP
    OP
    DaveQB

DaveQB Member

Thanks mr camouflage I didn't know that existed. I posted a give-away thread in the For Sale forum some yeas ago and it went off like a lead balloon. I'll try this one.
    Thanks again.

4. cmi83

cmi83 Member

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Or keep and wait until they are collectors items :D

6. Pic0o

Pic0o Member

Do you have any thrift shops like Goodwill, etc? I've done a few rebuilds of old kit, stability tested them and donated them with login credentials taped to the top of the case.

I'd suggest giving a multi-pass wipe to any drives you donate, but it's a nice way to clean the pad of some old kit, while giving someone else a chance for some cheap hardware. A hobbyist might see it in the thrift shop and hack it up too. So yeah for sure, do some drive wipes first :)

7. DriftMagister

DriftMagister Member

What socket 370 CPUs are they? :)

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

9. apsilon

apsilon Member

ewaste is where mine goes. I guess if you only have one or two machines local op shops may take them but for any quantity I couldn't find anyone interested. Charities would only take stuff if it was brand new in box, schools weren't interested, community groups couldn't handle the quantity so off to recycling it is. Even then it wasn't the easiest thing to find someone who would collect and remove for free. Our site restrictions/EHS policies didn't help things though.

I do a 10 cubic metre skip bin every 6 - 12 months. Last cleanup was that of equipment and another of just scrap metal (old racking, cases etc), a 4 cube of general waste and a 4 cube of paper/cardboard.

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Suspect that's where all my company stuff goes. They throw out skip bins worth of stuff all the time, absolute treasure trove for any enthusiast.