What wall socket do I need for NBN?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Ap0c, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Ap0c

Ap0c Member

Hey guys so I need some help.

I had an NBN install booked for yesterday but the technician couldn’t connect it up because my house didn’t have the right cabling. He said I need to wire the house and then rebook an appointment.

I’ve got myself some Cat6 cable so I’m going to run the cable this weekend. He told me to just terminate the cable near my fascia so they can connect to it when they come back out.

The only information I can’t quite find is when I run my cable to the room where I want my modem/router, what wall socket so I need? Can it be a network point or does it have to be a telephone point? Network is RJ45 and Telephone is RJ11 is that correct?

2. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

Hey,
    I wont go down the "registered cabler required" mantra, because its well known :)

The fact the NBN contractor didn't run a short cable inside is strange (they carry the connectors), but, nothing NBN do makes sense anyway so.....

What is your technology, I assume FTTN, if that's the case you'll need a 6P4C jack (RJ is yankie terminology and despite our govts bending over to them, we aint the USA's 51st state yet.)

Telstra have long recommended the Krone highway media jacks, 8p4c - I've never liked them - too much lateral movement, the older 6p4cs fit snug (and to be honest I've seen ab out half a dozen 8p4c's ever).

Personally (as per my other "cat6" thread which applies to cat3 too) brand names are just that, nothing more, it makes some bean counter sleep happy at night requiring a 16 dollar jack, despite the fact the 7 dollar one is equally as good and reliable, so although they prefer you use Krone, you can use Krone compatible (whatever the F that officially means) as far I go, that means anything type approved, which would be anything you buy over the counter here and not so the cheap burn your house down crap from one hung low ebay stores in China.

I would ordinarily advise against the clipsal phone jacks as they dont have separate loop in/out IDC's - although for FTTN/FTTC first socket its fine.

Added: make sure you get a compatible wall plate too, if you get a HPM jack, make sure its a HPM wall plate, or the universal HPM CLQ type jack which will fit nicely in clipsal 2000 or c2000 series plates as well as others.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  3. MELso76

MELso76 Member

4. OP
    OP
    Ap0c

Ap0c Member

I’m FTTC guys.

So the part I’m confused about in a really dumbed down way is:

The wall socket I install needs to be a telephone socket not an Ethernet socket yeah? Because the nbn modem plugs in via a telephone cable (the one with the smaller end compares to Ethernet)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  5. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Yeah, FTTC is over the Phone line

Did you not have a phone line already ?

When they did my FTTC, They just removed the ADSL Modem and put the NBN one in

6. OP
    OP
    Ap0c

Ap0c Member

Nah no phone line at all. Previous owner mustn’t have ever had one, weird. The NBN tech said they can run a new line from the street but they’re not allowed to get into people’s roofs to run in house cabling.

So I’m going to run a cat 6 cable from the room I want the modem in, through the roof to the fascia where the new line will be coming in off the street.

7. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

And you are aware it's illegal for it to be done by anyone but a registered cabler?

8. darknebula

darknebula Member

None of this makes sense. It is NBN’s responsibility to connect you up. If you don’t have a phone line, they will run one into your house and locate it wherever you tell them.

9. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

you need a cat3 6P4C socket .

I'm kinda surprised the NBN contractor didnt run his part of the cable, its their job, and their job to install an NTD - then you get the house wiring connected to it.

Actually sounds like this guy is a quick buck tech only, or didnt carry NTD,
    Are you sure he can run the cable, they dont like getting dirty so cant see him digging a trench and laying conduit.
    Did he say that side actually existed?

Edited: Wait! you said he told you to run it to facia? So you're getting an aerial drop?

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

At your own cost? I thought they were contracted to provide connectivity whatever was required to get the household up and running.

11. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

Thats correct, new installs up to NBP, which is the NTD, a big madison box marked NTD on the wall, homeowners/builders responsibility to get it from there to wherever.

The only exception to that is older premises where the first TO was the NBP, in those cases, it remains such, but since he OP has no internal cabling that does not apply here.

12. OP
    OP
    Ap0c

Ap0c Member

There is no phone line from the street to the house and there is no way they’d run it underground due to how steep our block is. They’ll run a new line from the street to the hook on the fascia where the power feeds into the house. So he just said I needed to run a cable from that point in the fascia, through the roof and down into the wall and wall socket that I wanted nbn to connect to.

I think he was just a ‘day course’ nbn installer. Prob an old taxi driver who had to switch careers. I was told over the phone that the techs aren’t allowed to do any wiring in the house, everything from after the point where the street line connects to the house is the home owner’s responsibility. I’m guessing this is to wave any liability from the installers if they screw something up in the roof.

13. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

Actually it was a recent (pre NBN) Telstra directive as well I think, that makes it interesting because there is height limits above ground as to where they are to locate the NTD, facia is way too high, but so long as you leave him a few metres of cable where he pointed to, you should get NBN - so long as he comes back, next guy might be more rules/lazy orientated.
    at least you can get your end done, make sure you dd it right, if you fluff it, they wont fix it.

14. OP
    OP
    Ap0c

Ap0c Member

Update:

I just got off the phone to iinet and they won't run a new phone line from the street, that is my responsibility they said. So far i'm finding this whole NBN thing a fucking joke :mad:

15. OP
    OP
    Ap0c

Ap0c Member

Need to get a phone line run from the street so I can get NBN as my house doesn't have a phone line. Anyone able to recommend a cheap line installer in Melbourne (eastern suburbs)

16. Pugs

Pugs Member

Nbn should do that....

darknebula likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Ap0c

Ap0c Member

I know right.....but they aren't

18. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

what type of service

19. OP
    OP
    Ap0c

Ap0c Member

FTTC

20. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

Typical of tpg, err iinet.. same useless and clueless thing... you can not run it from the street that is the carrier responsibility even most useless turd in that company should know that, but I bet your talking to some useless prix in that third world country they send aussie jobs to, I suggest jumping that ship to aussie broadband, Australian support, and although i've only dealt with them a couple times for clients, they are not useless like tpg ...i'll call them call centre monkies - they sure as hell aint "support" staff thats for sure.

Typically if theres no lead-in, its regarded as a new build, youll end up paying a few hundred bucks to get the leadin run, and sounds like teh guy who was there recently was prepared to run it for you, i dont know how well it would work, but you could cal back on hte same ticket number and make a request the same tech who came out to re attend, the chance sof that are very slim, but unless you try, youll never know.