What wall socket do I need for NBN?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Ap0c, Jun 13, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Ap0c

Ap0c Member

thanks for your help mate, you’ve been awesome. I was thinking the same thing tonight, getting a refund from iiNet and going with Aussie Broadband

Nobby6 likes this.
  2. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

Either way it's up to NBN to provide the cable from the street to the termination point.
    If it is a new build you're typically supposed to trench it for them or have some condiut alerady in the ground to the pit.
    Since you said it was ariel I guess this doesn't apply.

Either way they will connect it from the street to the NBP, this may or may not be a maddison box on the outside of your house.
    From that maddison box to where ever you want the phone line to go, then is your problem.
    This is also variable, as typically in residential services, you may not have a maddison box so the boundry would be the first phone socket in your house. It really depends on the guy who you get on the day.

If the NBN guy is saying you need to run a cable that's fine, you can either get a cabler to do this for you and they can put a socket on the wall where you want and run it to the 'lead-in' point - unterminated. Get your cabler to mark which pairs he used out of the Cat6 cable to assist NBN person, the colours are pretty standardised, but i've seen lots of people do weird things so doesn't hurt to have it labelled for the NBN person.
    Leave some excess cable so the NBN guy can adjust it as needed.
    This is also very weird as I've never seen NBN guy do it in this order.

In every situation I've been in, responsible for maybe around 50 installs, NBN have always done their part, even if the socket is not on the wall. - Sounds like your guy was lazy and didn't want to do the job so made up some excuse.

Like in a ground senario, they'd run it from the street and come up just outside your house into a maddison box.
    Ariel, I'd assume it'd be the same thing but top to down.
    i.e. they'd come in from the top of your house, probably drop it down the external cavity between the inside and outside of your house and put a maddison box on the outside of your house and terminate there.
    Then your cabler runs it from the maddison box to where ever you want the socket to go. This is normal and straight forward and leaves no room for chance as it is a very clear boundry point.

i.e. the fact that you don't have a socket does not stop them from doing their job.
    What NBN'll do is run the lead-in and then terminate it somewhere at the boundry point and leave a NBN tag at the end of the line, so that you can get your own cabler to then finish the last part of the run.

Look at Page 246 here.

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/...f-b/017153a00-complete-home-cabling-guide.pdf

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  3. bucket23

bucket23 Member

Go Aussie Broadband. In the old days (pre nbn) you could have ordered a phone only service from Telstra and it would have been sorted. You then do your normal adsl order, not that you should have had to that anyway.

Also, nbn is responsible to either the first socket in your house, an MDF (unlikely in a house to have one of these) or an official NTD box on the side of your house. Most of the boxes installed on the side of houses are not NTD's. There has been some dodgy training in the industry where cablers have been taught that their responsibility is only up to the box on the outside wall. It is not unless that box is marked and is an official NTD.
    Having said that, probably easier just to run your cable and socket and save the headache.

Nobby6 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Ap0c

Ap0c Member

I’m going to call Aussie Broadband today. So if an entire new lead in is required it should be on them and I shouldn’t have to pay? I was doing some research and the cost is around $250-$300. I would love to avoid that cost if possible!

5. power

power Member

during rollout we had a couple of buildings that needed the lead in done and nbn techs did their thing from there.

6. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

Its been Telstras requirement (and NBN's since they just copied all their procedures) that NTD only are to be used in new installs, this directive is current as of 2015, some old timers in this game might not care either way though. But you're right, the first guy sounded lazy, too much effort for the few pennies NBN pays for new installs

BTW, It's spelt "Madison"

7. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

Sadly no, you'll have to pay, unless the guy can find an old lead-in in the ground already that no one knows about :)

8. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

sparkies are great at that, but then i've found some sparkies who just do it without any accreditation because theyve been doing it for so long they dont care. That said your right, I've met some cablers who swear you cant touch anything on hte wall, where thats not entirely true, you can access it for fault finding, to replace it with an NTD, to replace internal wiring back to 1st TO... it depends on how much notice they took when learning.

9. bucket23

bucket23 Member

I know Telstra tried to do that for a while, but got slapped down and had to change their tune. All new installs are not supposed to be NTD's on the outside wall. I Don't blame the installers though, they get paid peanuts and are expected to do it all.

To the OP, it's a $300 fee, same as it was with Telstra ($295 I think it was). Sometimes you may not get the charge and sometimes if you sign with the ISP for 24 months they wave onboarding the charge to you. Try you're luck. When I connected my new house build in 2005 with iinet, I was not charged the fee, but I do know of heaps of people that have been.

10. Pugs

Pugs Member

swap RSP's to one that is decent..

11. OP
    OP
    Ap0c

Ap0c Member

Ok so update lads. After calling iiNet yesterday to ask if they will be able to install a phone line from the street next week when I have the rescheduled installation booked the 3rd worlder lady I spoke to said “no, that is my responsibility and cost”

I called Aussie Broadband today and they said the same so I though “fuck this I’m just gonna put off getting nbn for as long as possible and keep my current cable internet”

So I called iiNet back and said I’d like to cancel my plan and get a full refund ($230’ish which was first month + modem) and just stated that I couldn’t be bothered with the hassle or cost of running a phone line to my house and the guy I got this time seemed to actually know what he was talking about and said: “no that is NBNco’s responsibility to connect you and if that means running a new line in if you don’t actually have one and it won’t cost me a cent”

So he has assured me that when the technician arrives next Monday it’s in his notes to run a brand new line from the street to my house so fingers crossed this actually happens on the day! I’ll believe it when I see it but at least it’s progress

Pugs likes this.
  12. power

power Member

i don't think that's accurate, unless something has changed - but NBN Co will only do from the lead-in all the way up to installing a wall socket. You can always call NBN for clarification.

13. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

That directive is current with NBN, I know how much installers get paid :) but some are just lazy sods who put anything that " if i cant do it in 20 mins, in it goes to the too hard basket", that just want to cushy quick jobs.

14. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

nope, nothings changed, he's up for 300

15. OP
    OP
    Ap0c

Ap0c Member

:upset:

16. bucket23

bucket23 Member

Seems that way with Nbn as well, not that they are supposed to be either.

17. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

Whats your reference that they are not supposed to install NTD's on new builds, because I cant find any, its not the case by the latest IRD I have
    that says NTD is to be used, private cablers cable the house to the entry point which is NTD (or where it is to be located). So im interested in your reference? and please, please, do not tell me its whingepool.

18. bucket23

bucket23 Member

Definetly not whingepool. From ACMA meetings and industry discussions.

19. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

oh so you have no evidence that this is Telstra or NBN policy, that explains why myself and few other guys I spoke to have never heard of this, and explains why NTDs are still mandatory in new builds. Also explains why the most current A2A still mentions its required.

Also find it strange that ACMA would "hold meetings" about NTDs in new builds because thats carriers side which they do not regulate.
    I'll have to find my copy of the proposed S009:2019 and see if it said anything, but I dont recall reading about it last time I looked at it either.

20. bucket23

bucket23 Member

It wasn't a specific meeting between acma and Telstra, just the normal industry meetings that those groups participate in. It's not a nbn or tesltra policy as they are always looking to change it. The troops on the ground wouldn't have heard of it because they get taught what the trainer wants to teach them.