1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What was your first game?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by elvis, Jul 22, 2010.

1. yoink

yoink Member

I do remember playing pong on some sort of machine, at my aunts place, not sure if it was a dedicated pong machine, or maybe am atari 2600...
    The game that stands out however is one that my father wrote, (in 1983?), on our TI-99/4A, (yes, it had the optional speech synthesizer!), it was a "one-screen" game, where a bunch of planets of random-ish sizes would appear, then you had to steer your spaceship, and shoot the planets - your ship left a trail, which you had to avoid, (think tron light-cycles), but you were able to shoot the trail away, if you were quick enough. I don't think there were any levels, but there was scoring - the game would end when you filled the whole screen with dots, or crashed into something. If you were dexterous enough, you could make the ship turn around, and then fire at your trail, thus extending the game until you got bored...
    I think the idea was to make it 2 player, and have levels, but with only 4kb memory, it was kinda limited, especially when you had to load the basic interpreter first. Obviously writing it in assembler would have allowed this...
    I really wish I had the source for that now, would be fun to see how the old man coded back then...

PS: The TI-99 was an awesome system at the time, it even ran "Doom"! ;)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  2. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Kick arse game! Hard as nails.

The SNES sequel (Contra III / Super Probotector) rocked even more.

3. garnet

garnet Member

even the music is insane :p

4. ZafaZ

ZafaZ Member

Fairly sure it is just Alex Kid In Miracle Word, not Alex "the" Kid in Miracle World :thumbup:

5. watto86

watto86 Member

Fairly sure I don't care because you're just being pedantic.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I care quite a bit.

It's "Alex Kidd". No "the", and a double-d at the end (hur hur... double d!).

Call me pedantic if you like. Because I am.

7. Rhimes

Rhimes Member

My memory is a little rough on the exact first game, but it was either Lode Runner or Moon Patrol on the Apple IIe.

There was also Captain Goodnight, but we lost the decoder wheel, so half of the fun was guessing the submarine codes to get to the second third of the game.

8. watto86

watto86 Member

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH FUCK YOU GUYS!

9. Hive

Hive Member

Anyone ever played Tresure mountain? :leet: