1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What're people replacing PATA 2.5" drives with?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Hater, Feb 13, 2020.

1. power

power Member

it's not, just an odd form factor. i like it! Do read correctly, 32GB?

2. Reaper

Reaper Member

Sure is 32GB.

3. power

power Member

pretty cool, good drive for an old laptop or something.

4. Reaper

Reaper Member

Exactly what it's in. As I mentioned earlier, it's in my Compaq m2000.

5. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Yeah something you don’t see everyday.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Odd form factor, unusual brand (know lately for cheap crap, at least in storage), extremely uncommon.

Don't take it personally. PC hardware is a hugely diverse thing, and sometimes highly ephemeral hardware trends surprise people. I've been exposed to A LOT of weird storage, and I've never seen an IDE native SSD drive.

I'm very appreciative you took the time to pull it apart.

Reaper likes this.
  7. Reaper

Reaper Member

Me too actually, nice to see Toshiba chips there. I bought it probably about 5-6 years ago, still going fine.

elvis likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

Speaking on King* things, I have a Kingston regular 128GB SATA SSD i've shucked from it's case. It's slower than the M2 Intel drives I have but still fast enough to saturate the Mini's ATA133 bus, so I think i'll use it instead if I can find an adaptor small enough.

Just waiting on a PSU for the Mini to arrive from the Bay of E and then we can get crack-a-lackin'!

I need a few more aluminium cans though. This is another $0 build, and I am funding it solely from 10c bottle and can collection just to add a bit more fun to the... errr... "build"

9. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

The PBG4 I sold recently, I put a 128GB mSATA into a msata>PATA converter. Looks like a regular SSD enclosure.

Worked really well.

Only issue to consider is that the mSATA drives run physically hotter than PATA drives they replace. Therefor, temp sensors will spin fans up to compensate. Easily fixed with "g4 fan control" to raise the threshold a little.

10. elvis

I did not know that. How hot do CF cards run under regular use?

11. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Not sure, haven't ever used a CF card to replace a drive. I read something around the mSATA thing as being that the PATA drives were running at 5V, so 5V is being supplied down the pins, but the mSATA controller, or board, or something... was running at 3.3v. Not sure how accurate that is as the cause of the heat increase - but I can absolutely confirm that the palm-rest in a PBG4 was noticeably warmer once the SSD was underneath it.

12. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

That doesn't sound good for drive longevity.... but i dunno maybe its fine

The SATA > PATA adaptor was $3 vs. $8 for the PATA - mSATA adaptor so i've gone down that route now as was able to cover it with my current paypal balance heh

it's kind of amazing that the simple action of me dropping 30 aluminium cans into a hole sets off a chain reaction of a bunch of chinese people running around finding packing and sending me something

butterfly effect or what

sammy_b0i likes this.
  13. elvis

Sounds like the usual Internet reliability.

There exist both 3.3V and 5V logic parts. One of the caveats of using mSATA->PATA converters in older systems is that you ensure you buy all 5V logic component part based boards (which will itself downstep to 3.3V for the mSATA card, but run safely at 5V on the PATA side).

If that's too hard to verify (either because the seller doesn't list it or the buyer doesn't understand), stick to Compact Flash to be 100% sure, as it's 5V PATA/IDE the whole way, no exceptions.

14. Reaper

Reaper Member

Isn't there a problem with CF that it likes to corrupt and wipe itself randomly when used with the demands as a hdd?

15. elvis

I've not heard of that. I do assume that CF has way fewer write cycles than other flash offerings though.

With that said, I don't expect ye olde DOS or Amiga setups to flog storage like bloated modern Windows.

16. Reaper

Reaper Member

I wish I could recall who it was, they were having those problems, however I do think they were using a windows based os. CF does wear out fastest.