1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

whats for Christmas noms this year?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by RETARD, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Hetty

Hetty Member

I'm roasting a duck and going to make duck fat potatoes, with other roast veggies and some green beans. Might make a red wine/port jus to go with it.

Do you have recipes you can share for the pulled pork and lamb Stone?

2. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

3. JugV2

JugV2 Member

Just me and the wife for Christmas, so a roast beef on the weber and some veggies.

She's making coleslaw and potato salad.

I will drink until I sing 80's tunes badly.

4. OP
    OP
    RETARD

RETARD Member

5. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

This is my menu, five courses. I had today and tomorrow off, so I have started prep already!

First course: Caviar
    Planning a traditional service with chopped hard boiled eggs and scallops. Still have to make the blinis though.

Second course: White Asparagus with Garrotxa
    The asparagus will be cooked in sous-vide with verjuice, then drizzled with burnt butter. The Garrotxa will be shaved on top.

Third course: Baby fennel with blue cheese and manuka honey
    I think I posted a recipe for this somewhere!

Fourth course: Turkey two ways
    - Turkey roulade: made from the dark thigh meat and drumstick. I will roll it up with truffle butter in the center. It will be sous-vided at 64C for 5 hours, then finished in the deep fryer.
    - Turkey crown roast: this will be injected with turkey stock then roasted to 60C, then given a blast of heat to crisp up the skin.
    Shaved truffles then go on top (bought my imported French truffle in Prahran market today - cost me $130!) and it will be garnished with various vegetables. Fried potatoes go on the side.

Fifth course: Christmas pudding
    I cheated. I bought the Xmas Pud. Haven't decided if i'll make my own custard (so I can make it super boozy) or buy it.

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

Make the custard, there's no comparison with bought.

7. Hetty

Hetty Member

Just made eggnog. It takes like rum balls and custard. So good :)

8. kerr34

kerr34 Member

i do christmas eve at mine:

- Ham
    - Turkey breast buffet
    - Smoked Chicken
    - Marron
    - Lobster
    - Prawns
    - Antipasto (cold meats and olives etc.)

cant wait will be great

Ho Ho Ho!!

9. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

I cooked our Christmas lunch this year. Five courses. Because it is so hot at the moment, I tried to keep the meat to a minimum and serve mostly light vegetable dishes paired with white wines. So here we go:

[​IMG]

1st Course: Red and black caviar, traditional service. Not pictured are the blinis which was what the caviar was served with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2nd Course: White asparagus with 63 degree egg and Garrontxa cheese. The asparagus was sous-vided with some butter and salt for 15 minutes at 85C. The egg was SV'ed for an hour at 63C. Towards the last 15 minutes of cooking, the asparagus was added back in to reheat.

[​IMG]

3rd Course: Flame-grilled fennel bulb with Gorgonzola, honey, and lemon. The title more or less tells you how it was cooked and what it tastes like. The intense herbiness of the fennel bulb is moderated by the cooking, the grilled bits add a bit of texture and bitterness, countered by the creaminess of the cheese and the sweetness of the honey. The lemon juice cuts through the dish and lightens it all.

[​IMG]

4th Course: Turkey Torchon with truffles and summer vegetables, with Madeira Sauce. See the posts below for the turkey torchon. Madeira Sauce is normally beef stock with truffles and Madeira wine, but this time I used a turkey stock instead. For those who don't know, Madeira wine was discovered when Spanish ships returned to Spain after having crossed the equator. For a while, they made this wine by filling ships up with barrels of wine and sending them to cross the equator and return. They then realized that it was the combination of a cold climate grape with aging in oak barrels under hot conditions (instead of cold conditions that you would normally find in a cellar) that produced the result.

[​IMG]

4th Course: Turkey breast roasted on the crown. Separating the dark leg meat from the white breast meat has one big advantage - you can cook them separately. The white meat needs to be cooked to 60C, whilst the dark meat should be cooked to 65C. This way I could optimally cook both types of meat.

[​IMG]

4th Course: Triple Cooked Chips, as per Heston Blumenthal.

[​IMG]

5th Course: Fresh fruit meringue with a berry coulis

10. Diode

Diode Member

Your second course looks like a skeleton hand. :p

11. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

I've successfully cooked Heston's triple-cooked chips but the rest of Amfibius' post leaves me in awe.

I'm waiting for my Anova to arrive from Murika so then I will have two sous vide controllers (the other is a DIY eBay PID controller hooked up to a slow cooker) so I can do protein and veggies at the same time!