1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What's going on with used phone prices?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by 192.168.0.1, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

You can probably still use iTunes, but I haven't touched it in years - it's all cloud based these days, choose what you want to sync with iCloud and then access it from wherever:
    https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204283

Only real limitation is storage, 5GB Free then there's paid tiers from there. But I don't store music on my iPhone... 1999 called. And photos regularly get backed up to Google Drive and removed locally. So space isn't really an issue.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I see, but any more than 5G and you need to start paying ;) 5G really isn't much these days, especially if you are using the cloud for backups for everything.

I used a mix back in the day....music stored locally and contacts, texts, etc stored on the cloud. But any file stuff like music and vids had to be through itunes.

3. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

It's cheap at least, 50gigs I think is around $1.50, 200GB is less than $5 and I think 2TB is around $15/month

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Which is the attraction for users, but at the same time Apple make an absolute killing from the glazillions of Apple users ; ) Ingenious.

5. j3ll0

j3ll0 Member

I've found that as long as you buy the largest internal storage for a given family you get the best resale, but you do raise a good point.

6. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

I haven't, and non of my family (8 people) who are all iPhone uses, have had to plug the phone into a PC for any reason for the last 5 years.

7. power

power Member

someone else said this, i'm still interested in how recovery works now if you can't boot the device.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201412

8. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Guess they aren't fashionable.

My previous phone was a Motorola G5S 2.5 years ago for around $280

Upgraded to a G8 plus about six months ago for $330.

You can now buy a brand new G9 Plus for $300-$330.

And theirs Oppos.

What are you missing out on by "only" spending 300ish on a new phone every couple of years....

9. sanjay

sanjay Member

if you dont care about having a cutting edge camera or gaming on your phone, $300-$500 phones are more than sufficient (especially phones like the G9 Plus and the Poco X3 NFC).

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If people went with what is simply just "sufficient" the whole mobile industry would absolutely implode. The prices they charge and the the people willing to buy them drive changes in the industry technology, albeit at times they feel extremely minor.

11. BIG DWIFTER

BIG DWIFTER Member

Rubbish.

It wouldn't change a thing with hardware and development.

It would cause shamsung and crapples profits to drop from billions to millions.

How unfortunate.

Then they wouldn't need to release 50 different models.

3 would suffice. Low end, mid range, high end.

The worst part of all these overnight astronomical price increases across the board that make absolutely no sense, is that people pay for them.

I'll admit I do in the PC space, because I don't have a choice.

All started with the iphone x, Nvidia followed.

Doubled the price from the last generation.

High end phones never used to cross the $1k mark.

GPUs, lol...GPUs.

A few years ago a high end card was AU$400.

Thanks crapple.

modernshoggoth likes this.
  12. Current

Current Member

It's a fucking joke.

Samsung Galaxy S5 is all you need :)

13. fnp

fnp Member

I agree in principal, and I generally buy a flagship from a couple of generations back at ~$300 or so and run it till it drops. However, my current S7 is starting to show signs of the ever present planned obsolescence. It stopped getting OS updates a while ago now, and some apps are no longer compatible with my ancient (all of a few years) version of Android. And all I really use the bloody thing for is texting, phone calls, reading books and authenticating everything under the sun. I guess it's handy being able to Google stuff and take photos on a whim anyplace, anytime, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker if I couldn't do that.

If I didn't need the bloody thing for work and 2FA I reckon I'd seriously think about forgetting about phones. It's all getting too difficult, or I'm getting too old, or both.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Not sure what on earth you're talking about. Maybe go have a ready of planned obsolescence and how constant product development is required to constantly churn over products. It has been this was for a very long time now. If people stuck with their phones for years and years less product would be sold. However we now have a culture of latest-greatest and keeping up with the Joneses. People upgrade not because they have to, because they can and want to keep up with the latest. There's no reason why a phone produced now should not last 10 years or even more.

15. BIG DWIFTER

BIG DWIFTER Member

Samsung's mobile division made US$244 billion in profit last year.

Do you really think they need to profit so much?

I don't.

They could offer the same devices for half the price and still make over $100 billion in profit?

Do you really think the industry would suffer if they dropped all the models and just focused on a few, and didn't gouge customers as much?

Mobile devices have only seen incremental upgrades for years. It's the software that holds them back, as you pointed out above...

16. Cap One

Cap One Member

That's one thing that Apple does well, iOS16 is coming soon and rumours indicate that the ancient iPhone 7 will be supported....it's a 6 year old phone. Of course many people will want the latest and greatest hardware and features so I get we're you're coming from.

17. nav

nav Member

I don't see the problem? I love picking up a secondhand flagship phone when then latest one is about to land.
    My iPhone 11 Pro Max was latest and greatest for one whole week.

-nav.

18. modernshoggoth

modernshoggoth Member

They only do it well because they have been repeatedly shamed and sued in the past for unreasonably short planned obsolescence time periods.
    If they could get away with it they'd not support anything, ever.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'm no apple fan but they are masters at absolutely everything to do with marketing, selling and creating rock solid loyal fandom in their product.

Cap One likes this.
  20. ernie

ernie Member

I just bought a 2nd. hand iPhone 6 plus, was $169 on eBay. That will do me for a few years, just wanted a bigger screen, there are lots of iPhones on eBay many refurbished. As long as you don't need the latest and greatest it's cheap. The stuff I do is pretty ordinary, just about any version of IOS will handle it.

- Ernie.

Last edited: May 24, 2022