1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the best Plasma deal you've seen in the post Xmas sales

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Bigtosser, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Bigtosser

Bigtosser Member

Looking again for a 42" SD Plasma, what's the best deal you've seen, budgeting around 1700-1800, Anyone know what panel the Hicon at GG use? price seems good at $1699

2. mxlaser

mxlaser Member

Hicon was reported to be a 4th Gen LG. Much like the celestial and a few others.

You'd be better picking up a Teac or Soniq.

Soniq's are being had for $1798 currently, and Teacs around the same price too.

That $100 goes a massive way in terms of a better plasma and PQ.

3. fedex

fedex (Banned or Deleted)

you can get a soniq hd plasma for 3000 and its like 127cm

4. mxlaser

mxlaser Member

With shocking blacks on it too. Its not that great a screen, with bad contrast and aweful blacks, but then HD, and 50" for $3k is good, but not if its bad to watch all the time.

5. OP
    OP
    Bigtosser

Bigtosser Member

Yes I will do battle today with that most dreaded of species, "the brown goods salesman".

Most of which have about as much honesty as a politician or used car salesman.

At this stage, I'm tossing up between the Teac 4220, TCL, and the Soniq 42inch.

6. Bain

Bain Member

Have you looked into Rear projection LCD tv's? (DLP technology)

7. OP
    OP
    Bigtosser

Bigtosser Member

Yes fantastic quality, but not going to suit my preference.

8. mxlaser

mxlaser Member

Where abouts are you bigtosser? And whats your budget?

Can get the Teac for $1780 of the Soniq for $1798. The TCL is $1888 at Retravision too.

9. OP
    OP
    Bigtosser

Bigtosser Member

Conia also $1699 at Betta electrical, MMMmmm Conia, now there's a name that makes Teac look like an elite brand :D

Brisbane Northside, MXLaser.

Budget is anywhere under 2 G's I spose.

What's your preference out of the Teac and Soniq and why?
    cheers

10. mxlaser

mxlaser Member

If you can stretch to $2.4k you can get yourself a Pana SD, well worth it.

Out of the Teac and Soniq, i personally would pick the Soniq.

Reasons are:

Teac - Dont like the pixel shifting, doesnt bother most people it seems though.
    Its VERY big, ugly to some.

Soniq - Remote issues are sorted with a simple mod. Personally love the look of the soniq over the Teac. The soniq accepts component xbox and sizes all games correctly, the Teac doesnt.

Its very close though. Personally to me, if i was in the same boat again, picking between the two of them, i'd buy the Soniq again.

11. Jai

Jai Member

The Soniq 42" SD is $1768 at my local JB. Im going to enquire about the warranty etc too.

But they have 2 available, one has 2 SCARTs and the other has AV. I think from memory of the massive Soniq Thread that the ones with AV are more recent.

I sat about 2.5-3m away from it running a DVD via Component and it looked awesome... for $1750 ya cant go wrong!

JK

12. mxlaser

mxlaser Member

Hey

Thats a good price fo rthe Soniq. However you will not be able to buy (unless floor model) an SCART model. The displays will all likely be SCART, the original 250 in the country were, as they were supposed to be the European models.

Now there are ONLY AV models. There is absolutly no difference in PQ etc as far as AV and SCART goes.

Thats a great buy though for $1750.

13. GoSam

GoSam Member

Well my mate brought a TEAC on boxing day at our local JB HiFi for $1499

14. mxlaser

mxlaser Member

How was that even possible? Thats close to $100 under cost.. and with so many units selling and being limited its amazing they sold for that....

Thats like U2 or robbie williams selling concert tickets even though they are sold out, for $5... Just stupid.

If he got it for that, good on him. Doubt anyone will ever see it for that

15. GoSam

GoSam Member

I think the local JB was having a clean out of the TEAC's, but $1499 is pretty cheap, went back the day after he brought it and JB had sold out, I also manged to get my TCL for $1499 as well.....originally I was offered it for $1799, but I held off another 3wks and it was advertised for $1499

16. Crusher

Crusher Member

you got the 42" tcl plasma for $1499?

thats crazy, guy i know who works at bing lee says their cost is $1725 inc

17. GoSam

GoSam Member

Yep cracy price of $1499.....local retravision was closing down, so they slashed the prices, good thing was the previous month Retravision had recieved a new shipment of TCL's :thumbup:

18. Jai

Jai Member

I just grabbed the Soniq for $1768 and $399 for the 4 year Extended Warranty (unit now covered for a total of 5).

When you think about it, JB is outsourcing the 4 years extra warranty for $399, so thats $100 a year. Now for those who grabbed the Soniq Plasma a month or so ago for $1998 and got the warranty for ~$200 then who's better off? Its pretty negligable... but again, they can drop the warranty price if you pay almost shop price on accessories like an STB etc, because they can just cover the warranty off the profit from the accessories.

JK

19. OP
    OP
    Bigtosser

Bigtosser Member

Well what a day it's been, I think the prices may be a bit different for those in Syd & Melb to here in Brisbane(spouting transport costs by salesman). Today I've had everything from the best service, to being treated like an Arsehole by these salesman. And yes it will make a difference to who I buy off.

Well I've stuck to my guns and I've got the Soniq offered to me for $1798(JB Kedron) and the Teac offered for $1800(GG Mt Gravatt), both will let me use credit card for that. I would have preferred an even lower price for cash, but couldn't get one.

Strangley the TCL couldn't come anywhere near those prices(best $1900)

Never did I get anything like the $1499 for the Teac or TCL's as some have suggested. Mmmmmmm ;)

Look this is the damn best I've been able to come up with, if anyone in Brisbane has got a better price than these, please don"t hesitate to jump in here and tell me where.

Leaning towards the teac at this stage, due to overall picture quality.

**BTW Clive Peters at Carseldine has loads of hotchip HD STB for $229 on special.**

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  20. mxlaser

mxlaser Member

Yeah, talking to mate at purchasing HO at JB tonight, there is no way, at all, impossible it was sold for $1499 from JB. So i call BS on that.

Basically, as its currently their second biggest selling plasma, and that would of put it $122 under thier cost.

GoSam, no offence but your talking out of your arse in regards to JB selling the Teac. Also, they are not "running" them out, they can't actually get enough (due to it being limited) to fill its 329 national backorders already paid for.

Scan either reciept and i'll ship you a prize to apologise.