1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the best Plasma deal you've seen in the post Xmas sales

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Bigtosser, Dec 28, 2005.

1. mrsteve

mrsteve Member

Picked up the Soniq 42" for $1798, 4 year extended warranty for $299 and Hotchip HD STB for $260.

Couldn't be happier with the purchase! :leet:

2. GoSam

GoSam Member

mxlaser, I'll try and get the receipt, but in the mean time, please feel free to ring the local JB HiFi up here in Darwin to confirm that the TEAC's were actually indeed going for $1499 over the long weekend. :)

3. d_player33

d_player33 Member

Cough, splutter, damn that is an amazing price....

4. fnq

fnq Member

@mxlaser - would you also mind scanning or taking picture of your receipts? You seem to get good deals on your purchase.....

5. mxlaser

mxlaser Member

No probs, wil take pics of them later... Obviously now only have the Pana one as others returned...

I get good prices as i have worked with nearly all retail stores etc and know a LOT of staff members all over Melb from my work.

But nonetheless will take pic of Pana at $2500 may still have the Teac about as well for $1798. However both are quite easy to achieve at the moment, so don't seem that special.

However 25% off of a plasma thats only just been introduced and is under the cost of what Teac sales wholesale for, that was just a killer buy from GoSam... Maybe because its Darwin and not Syd/Mel maybe... :s

6. OP
    OP
    Bigtosser

Bigtosser Member

WELL I'VE PUT MYSELF OUT OF MY MISERY, AND BOUGHT A TEAC.
    and a Teac HD STB DV-B800.

I signed up fro a Myer source CC and got it for $1619.10 with 6 mths interest free.
    I paid $345.50 for the STB 6 mths interest free.

I'm about to order a 3M DVI-D cable from Selby.

This I think was a great deal, you get 10% off what ever sale price it is on your first purchase. so $1799 less 10% $1619.

I'm so glad it's all over, picking up tomorrow.

7. mxlaser

mxlaser Member

Escellent mate!! Well done. You better have something good to pick it up with... :) bloody big box :)

Well done mate.

8. 0O0

0O0 Member

Congrats dude, i must say thought it aint over yet, its only the begining of many expenses!

Also guys I personally bought a panasonic th42pa50a (sd 42 inch) for 2500 too from GG at blacktown

9. chargin

chargin Member

Yeah, that Teac is much bigger than any other 42" Ive seen before. Theyve got a large black frame around the screen, when I first spotted it from a distance I thought it was a 50 incher!

10. PogiPinoy

PogiPinoy Member

heh..looks can be deceiving...it almost fooled me too but the big chassis of the panel juss makes it look big

i dont like big chassis tho..esp if it says HD compatible

11. glee

glee Member

We just got the Panasonic 50a at Myers using the Myer's 10% discount and 10% Myer's CC voucher for $2429. We decided to get 3 year warranty for $299 since the 5 year was $599. So all up it was $2728.
    Should we have gotten the 5 year warranty? It didn't seem worth it at the time..

We also got a cheapo Sansui SD STB. The manual says it only does SCART output to composite or RGB. Since the plasma doesn't have a SCART (I don't think), can anyone with a Panasonic 50a tell me if we can use a SCART to RGB, or SCART to component cable to connect it up?

12. civi_joe

civi_joe Member

I just saw the hotpoint plasma for $1599 at WOW. Anyone know anything about the hotpoint?

13. Tragic_Calais

Tragic_Calais (Banned or Deleted)

Anyone know where i can get a really good price on the TCL 42" in centralish sydney. I was going to go for the pana but the lack of DVI turned me away as I use DVI alot. I know I could turn to the comercial panel but they are hard to find and I didn't like the non detachable speakers on the Sonique

14. B00G3r

B00G3r Member

yeh i just got me a teac 42 as well from Myer for 1619 with the 2 discounts...

thanks to those in the discussion which alerted me to this option

I asked JB to match it but they didnt have it in stock and laughed at the suggestion of getting it in, matching the price and losing money on it ;O..saying it costs them 1750 :/

15. OP
    OP
    Bigtosser

Bigtosser Member

Booger,Welcome to the TEAC club, yes tis a great price, and I'm enamored with the pic quality.
    I returned my Teac HDB-800, And got the replacement HDB-820 for $340 from GG's
    I've ordered from Selby a gold ferrite 3M DVI-D cable for it, $24.95.
    and a 3M scart to composite $20 for my Dreambox, so can't wait for these to arrive.

THERE ARE SOME ABSOLUTE JOKE PRICES FOR CABLES IN SOME RETAILERS. CLIVE PETERS CARSELDINE WANTED $349 FOR A MONSTER 5M DVI-D CABLE, NO THIS IS NOT A MISPRINT. :Paranoid:

I think cables must be one of the most highly marked up accessories, this is where particularly the JB HiFi boffins will try to close a sale with the sweetener of some free overmarked up cables.
    I reckon your better off with the best $$$ price and sort your own cables out.

16. StOo_Burger

StOo_Burger Ex-Admin

You can get adaptors that allow you to go from SCART -> S-Video + Composite for ~$20 (They're $7 cost). I've got one on my Foxtel box using S-Video and it's not too bad. The good ones will allow you to switch from output to input depending on application.

Cables are always marked up, eg. Most 3m S-Video cables will cost ~$20 - $25 cost, but retail at ~$60.

17. glee

glee Member

My Sansui STB has two SCART output modes you can switch between: Composite and RGB.
    I'm not sure it'll work if I get a SCART to component cable to plug the STB into the plasma, and use the RGB output mode on my STB. Any ideas? I don't really want to buy a SCART to component cable if it's not going to work.

18. mxlaser

mxlaser Member

LOL... knowing these stores and some of their mark ups on these cables, your dead right.

Give you an idea, a salesperson may make about $50 commision form a $5000 Pana HD and 5yr warranty from HN. Add in the $400 monster HDMI, and a of course maybe a component cable $300 and the will make about $150 commision! :)

The Belkin Pure AV HDMI 3m cable was selling for $249. Cost is somewhere around $40 for them.... Its their "icing" as it were :)

19. B00G3r

B00G3r Member

crazy...can't beleive they sell any at that price :/

silly rich people

I thought it was interesting Myer gave me a 2.5 k credit card without proof of employment or anything..just a drivers license.. maybe I am just behind the times

20. glee

glee Member

mxlaser - you've got a Pana 50a right? Does it have any SCART inputs?