Whats the best way to add more sata slots these days?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Rusty X5, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Hi, just wondering what the current and most effective way to add more satas to a motherboard. Currently i've got a HBA on pcie which seems to be running fine I think (got random BSODs other day copying between hdds and such).

Is there any other current solution available such as M2 sata expanders or really anything else new?. Just wondering as i'll be getting a x570 when they come out and just incase my HBA is busted.

2. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Not really viable outside of HBA's and preferably SAS ones which I strongly recommend you swap over to as I'm guessing you may have a crappy SATA one. One of the reasons I got several X79S-UP5-Wifi motherboards was because it has 2 SATA3 connectors. 4 SATA2 connectors, and 8 SAS connectors on board so generally my usage of motherboards as they age and get slower is gaming machine > workhorse machine > NAS, however, with the release of cheap multicore Xeons like the $100 E5-2670 I'm still using this board for all three purposes. It also helps that all I7 CPU's for my X79 boards have 40 PCI-e lanes but the most 3.5" drives I can stuff into a full tower for my NAS is 10 plus an SSD boot drive and a DVD-ROM so I haven't even needed to plug in a SAS card yet as I can run 14 drives just off the motherboard. Sadly now since the introduction of S2066 Intel has prohibited the use of Xeons in consumer motherboards so you need something like a 9900X CPU or thereabouts to get the full 40 lanes otherwise you could put in any Xeon CPU you want as all the CPU's in that range have the full amount of PCI-e lanes available, but in most cases people don't need that many lanes but if you have some other type of S2011(-3) or S2066 motherboard and then put in say a SAS card for drives and a FC card for an LTO tape drive and maybe a 10Gbe network card then a large number of lanes is generally a good thing to have. If you already have a SAS card then an expander card to go with it is another option but generally people only need less than another 8 ports so its just simpler and easier to add a second SAS card unless your intending to run 20-40 drives in a rack or something similar.

3. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

What is your current hba? Get a proper LSI based one for stability.

4. OP
    OP
    Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Thanks for replies, my HBA currently is a LSI based one with sas. It has 2 ports so I run connecters that have 4 satas each so it gives me 8 satas in total. I'm surprised why mobos always seem to be limited to 6-8 satas, didn't realise there some board with onboard sas..thats awesome. Is that popular? Is there many other boards like that?. Looking at the X570 when they come out, any chance even if some of the hi end boards come with that?

5. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Intel HEDT chipsets (X99, X299) support 10 SATA ports. Every SATA port requires a HSIO/pcie lane, chipsets have limited lanes.

Denverton Intel Atom SOCs support 16 SATA ports. They're actually beasts, 16 cores, and can also do 16 USB3 ports, quad gigabit, 10 gigabit, all native. You can find these on a few ITX boards jammed full of IO.

No point wasting 8 chipset lanes on a SAS controller for a consumer board. You'll find them in some higher end workstation and prosumer server boards, but it's way cheaper to just buy a pcie card and slot it in.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  6. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Don't care about performance? No pci slots? Or just want dirt cheap?

Port multiplier.

1x sata port becomes 5

7. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

But you'll still want a SIL based SATA controller to run one of those. Intel, ASM, JMC don't really work.

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

Common on server/workstation grade boards, rare as rocking horse poop on consumer boards.

Since you already have a LSI based HBA. I'd look to another problem rather than a problem with the HBA - they're pretty rock solid.

- SATA cables are a prime culprit, cheapies can simply be poorly made, or even if not poorly made, may not be properly/well shielded so may work individually, but one you have a heap of them in a case electromagnetic noise gets to them.
    - Software/driver issues. Don't know what you're doing here, but update drivers, don't use Windows if you want reliable storage systems (waits for fanbois whinging - hint, you don't find Windows running any enterprise storage arrays - all linux/BSD based).