1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the shortest holiday you'd have in Europe?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Scarpetta, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

A friend is getting married in Europe. It's at a time when we wouldn't normal go, so everything we want to do, or see, is at another time of year.

I'm trying to gauge is if it's worth going given we'd probably only go for the wedding if we were.

What's the shortest holiday you'd take if you were going to Europe? A week? A month?

2. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I'd take whatever I could manage to take... would prefer a month.

JSmith

3. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

With how much travel is involved in just getting there, I'd want a good 3 weeks. Maybe 2 if you're only going to one country.

My biggest regret from my trip to USA last year was spending too little time in each location and trying to fit too many locations into one trip.

Zee and mAJORD like this.
  4. 2SHY

2SHY Member

It depends if you feel you need a break from work or can afford to go to a destination wedding.

Totally up to you though. 3 Weeks so it isn't wasted imho.

5. Daveros

Daveros Member

Actually getting to places, ie flying, is no longer the budget bottleneck. It’s usually everything else, like hotels and time off work, that do me in.

I see nothing wrong with going to Europe for a week. But shit, if you can do longer, I say go for it.

6. Zee

Zee Member

If I'm gonna cough up like $2k for an airline ticket, it had better be at least 3 weeks. You normally waste your first few days getting your body clock sorted.

Z...

7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

wife went to Italy for 3 days, left on Friday and came back Monday morning.. was probably in the air for longer than she was there

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

Work sent me to Poland for 3 days on the ground, was 4 days of travel time, including a sleep over in DBX.

If you want to actually do/see anything, and not be a jet lagged zombie you'll need minimum of a fortnight, preferably more.

9. Hater

Hater Member

i did the reverse to see a friend get married in australia then hightailed it back to the UK

so in my case it's 2 days

*shrug*

10. archie

archie Member

shortest I've done was 4 days on the ground at Frankfurt.
    though I did go over in business and back in first...all on points
    no way I could do that in economy :p minimum 2-3wks to make it worthwhile

11. luke o

luke o Member

One month..

12. doug81

doug81 Member

1 day per hour of flight (one way) is a decent yardstick for most trips, but EU is a big place. 3-4 days per destination will give you a good experience. Going for 4 weeks but visiting 12 cities is going to be very exhausting, and you'll waste tons of time just getting your bearings in each new place. Having said that, if you're just going to fly there, go to 1 additional place, and then fly back, 2 weeks is fine. Just remember, you can always go back later if you want, no point spending a trip in utter desperation to squeeze in one more stop...

Tinian and clonex like this.
  13. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

The Japanese do Europe in 1 week, which is crazy. As most here I would recommend at least 1 month.

14. clonex

clonex Member

no issue going there, its only coming back that stuffs you up imho.

far easier to just stay up late the first day and wake up dandy the following morning.

i just did 3 weeks in one country, originally was 2 but ended up extending my stay.

15. Zee

Zee Member

Yeah, good point, coming back is usually the killer for me too.

Z...

16. clonex

clonex Member

No harm in looking on momondo etc for cheap flight somewhere as well while there for a quick 1 or 2 night trip.

I looked daily for norway and iceland but nothing came up cheap

17. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

If I had a week - i'd definitely still go, plus weddings rule.. but i'd stay in the 1 location and just enjoy locally. travelling anywhere kills up to a day.

the_fuzz likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

We're thinking of push it out to three weeks. A 16 day tour, plus a few nights here and there.

When booking tours, and the associated flights, are any travel agents better than any other or are they all pretty much on par?

And if we found a tour company how do we know which travel agency can book through them?

19. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

As with everything these days you can do basically everything online yourself. If you're starved for time then you could use a travel agent, just remember they're out to make some money same as everyone else.

They might get a good deal here or there but by and large you're going to find yourself better off going direct on many things.

Flights - use a search engine like:
    https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ (google's)
    https://adioso.com/
    https://www.kayak.com.au/

Hotels:
    https://www.agoda.com/en-au/
    https://www.booking.com/
    Always check the hotel site directly to see if it's cheaper to cut out the middle man... often you don't save money but you might get some free extras since Booking/Agoda force them to sign deals that they'll get the best price on a room but they take a big cut. Otherwise Booking/Agoda price match is easy.

Tours:
    Find a tour company you like the concept of that has a tour you like the look of. No point in getting a bargain on a Contiki tour if you're not in to spending your time with drunk 18 year olds (probably exaggerated but you get it).
    Only one I've used was Intrepid which was good, but there are probably lots more out there. Ours had a mix of 30 somethings, a few retired folks, all round good group and good guide. Only catch was it was almost all Aussies (had hoped for a more diverse crowd), but that wasn't a big deal. The accommodation isn't as good as if you book it yourself, but it is so much easier and keeps you entertained rather than spending time deciding what to do all the time.

Scarpetta likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

It looks like the tour company can organise the flights and accommodation before and after, and we could tack on our own flights and accommodation for anything extra.

Last time we went to Europe there was a strike, and our travel agent organised new flights for us. Is that something the airline would arrange for us if we booked directly with them?

I mean, I'd happily pay a bit more if it meant all of the liability was on someone else should something bad happen. Or is that literally what insurance is for ?