What's the shortest holiday you'd have in Europe?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Scarpetta, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

They probably can, but it would be worth doing a quick sanity check on cost for those flights directly vs the tour company.

Insurance, but again shop around and check the Terms and Conditions as many things you expect to be covered may not be! You might have a better "concierge" style service with a travel agent if things go wrong.

Personally I've travelled on the complementary insurance that you get when you book return tickets on the BankWest card I mentioned earlier, and having read the T&C it seemed to be about the same as the Covermore plan that Flight Centre wanted to charge us $800 for (for a 7 week europe+japan trip). That said, you may find differences, or things that you need which are excluded. For example check car hire, motor bike riding, activities whilst intoxicated, hospital cover past a limit, pre-existing conditions, etc.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Scarpetta likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Just booked 5 weeks and a half weeks, and 12 countries :lol::lol: (15 if you break up the UK)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    BAK, archie and Daveros like this.
  3. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Done a few trips. One 7 weeks (far too long), then 4 weeks and a few days (planned a stop over on the way back to break it up, probably wouldn't again).

Last one was 3 weeks + 2 days and arrived home on the Friday to reset the clock before Monday. This hit the spot.

Don't do frantic country crossing thing. Pick 3 destinations and do them over a week each.
    Spent 4 weeks in Spain and still missed stuff we need to go back for.

Maelstrom likes this.
  4. swatson

swatson Member

jet lag isn't that bad on the way back i am not sure what the fuss is about. I flew out of london about 10:00p, took a tablet, slept until dubai, stayed awake the 2ish hours in dubai, watched three movies & ate on the plan, took a tablet slept until Melbourne. Arrived 6:00am Melbourne time, spent day with the kids went to bed at about 9:00 that night.

Shortest time in europe for me was 23 hours, was in Boston, needed something for work in london, arrived at 11:00p, was out on the 10:00p flight described above the next day.

If you plan out sleeping/meals/etc... get a tablet from your doctor and a lighter one for the first night or two you can basically arrive functioning, shortest i would do as a single trip just to europe would be maybe 6 days if it was my money.

5. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I am not a medicator, so I won't be popping any pills for force my body to sleep. I find that to be really dangerous, especially on a flying piece of metal that if there was an emergency you'd want to be alert for.

I'd rather deal with jet lag, it's kinda a normal process that occurs when you change your body clock - it's okay to experience it.

archie likes this.
  6. Tinian

Tinian Member

I understand the sentiment, but it's such an unlikely event. I sleep on overnight flights either from exhaustion or I get loaded. Either way I tend to sleep because once you've taken off, that's half the problem dealt with and once you come into land, you tend to be awake and rested anyway. That way my body clock is somewhat aligned, not that I suffer badly from jet lag.

7. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Ignoring the unlikely event that something bad will go wrong, I'm just not someone who medicates to get rid of slight discomfort. Our bodies tell us things, and without sounding all hippy, I'm okay with being a little put out because my body is responding to what's happened to it.
    I've done a few long haul flights and while sleeping the majority of the way is ideal, if it doesn't happen I'll survive. Not to mention - medicated sleep isn't real sleep.

archie likes this.
  8. clonex

clonex Member

another handy thing is book flights based on departure and arrival times

9. swatson

swatson Member

I fly for work and i agree medicated sleep isn't real sleep, however its the difference between flying during the day into HK rather than over night and losing 2 days (1 either end) with my kids or getting home and smashing myself for 3-4 days while my body recoils from the sudden change in timezone.

Being able to switch time zones at the pace we do isn't natural, i personally think jetlag exists because we never evolved to need to be able to switch time zones as we couldn't travel that fast. I think the solution isn't natural either but its a way of functioning and with a careful GP and discipline to only have it on the flights i think you are minimising the risk.

10. archie

archie Member

HK is only 2-3 hours though, shouldn't even feel it on day flights

Its definitely less for me now as I travel in business on points now. Boy that makes a difference going to Europe or Canada

11. clonex

clonex Member

hong kong time difference is like flying to WA from east coast?

Ill say it again but going backwards in time is easy :D

12. swatson

swatson Member

I will fly the overnight to HK, work, sleep, work, fly overnight home. Sleeping on a plane is too hit and miss for me with out assistance, so the same two days would need day flights turning it into 4 away from home.

Very few work places fly business to single city Asia trips. I am lucky enough to get premium economy as it is. And you don't get upgrade notification until the day before when using points.

13. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

aaaaaannndddd the wedding got cancelled/postponed.

Lucky we made a holiday out of it, or else we'd be spewing right now :lol:

archie likes this.
  14. spookware

spookware Member

2 weeks in Netherlands. Best holiday I have had in a long time.

15. Dan N

Dan N Member

I know someone from Indonesia but he is successful in businesses and he only had one week to holidaying in Europe because he has to come back home to check everything to ensure all is good.

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

how successful can you really be if you can't let it run itself for more than a week?

17. Dan N

Dan N Member

If you know about Indonesian people, then you might understand better. He have a lot of businesses to run.He's very respectful in where he live because all locals know him for proving employments.

18. Revenge

Revenge Member

Off in May to spend a week in Hungary and a few days in Germany...
    The primary purpose of the trip is the week in Hungary... it's on someone else coin and I just don't have enough leave up in my new job to take any more than the bare minimum amount of leave...
    I would, if I had the time, aim for minimum 6 weeks to cover most of mainland Europe

19. doug81

doug81 Member

So I still stand by my 1 day per hour of flight to the destination as a good guide, but ended up going to Madrid and Paris for a week each and absolutely loved it! This was part of a relocation from Santiago to Saigon, and was one of the few routes that allowed our chihuahua to fly in the cabin on all flights and no quarantine period (Iberia Airlines from Santiago to Madrid then to Paris, and then Vietnam Airlines to Saigon). Probably could have added a third destination during the 2 weeks, but the pace was great and got to see heaps without feeling rushed. There was a metro strike in Paris that started when we landed, so it turned out well to have the extra time as we couldn't zip around the city as easily...

20. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

We'd be leaving today :(

Really bummed and annoyed.