1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the shortest holiday you'd have in Europe?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Scarpetta, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

i feel for you mate, its such a damn shame. Would have been a sensational trip - always next year. Assuming things keep moving in the current direction.

I just faced the grim reality of the non-refundable tickets I have for my trip to Vietnam in September. who woulda thought?

2. archie

archie Member

We're still booked for 1st July to Paris.. Haven't cancelled yet as haven't gotten around to it.

Even had business class seats for all 3 of us, including our 3yo

No hopes of still going off course

3. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Everything (less like $800 and our accommodation in Holland ) is in credit, which we're very grateful for. However we have to take the holiday before December 2022, which isn't looking like an option at the moment. So it's hard to get excited about when we can reschedule.

It frustrates me that so many people aren't being flexible in the pandemic. I appreciate they would have massive losses, and still have expenses, but it's not like the choice was even ours to make

We booked through Flight Centre so they've looked after all of that for us. Our main flights have been kept in credit for 760 days, so we're lucky there. Fingers crossed you can get something similar.

4. archie

archie Member

being on points the flights refund will be a piece of cake. I think its US75/person and everything will be refunded in full if cancelling. during covid they might not even charge that fee

pity the airbnb host in paris is being d**k about it. his exact words were "i dont care about covid" we've paid 50% before xmas.
    if we cancel now we lose that deposit.
    waiting for airbnb to extend their cancellation/refund policy now. it was extended a couple of days about to cover bookings till 30th June.
    we're 1st july so i think by end May I can apply for a full refund. fingers crossed.

5. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Yeah, the place we booked through booking.com don't care. They've taken 100% and won't refund. Will credit if travel within a year but that's not going to happen

6. archie

archie Member

I think a lot of people will rethink coming accommodation in the future.

All the hotels if booking with them directly have been excellent throughout this. Full refunds for me, even if I had booked the no refunds/no changes rate

7. Sledge

Sledge Member

We did a 5 week long trip to europe and it wasn't long enough...
    2 months would have been better

hopefully you get this sorted and can take the trip some time soon, and not lose too much

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  8. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

As long as they exist. :( Over the last 20 years, the hotel business in Europe has much developed away from the big chains, responding to demands for more individual accommodation. Many of theses small boutique hotels are already gone, or won't make it another years through the crisis.

9. archie

archie Member

i try and stick to Accor properties as much as I can.
    i know what to expect from the various hotels, i appreciate the consistency.

Frankfurt
    Munich, I'm a regular in regional Bavaria, near Passau. love going there.
    Berlin
    Heidelberg
    Stuttgart
    Hamburg
    and some smaller towns too

about 75% of the stuff I sell here is German made