What's the worst thing you've done to your computer?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Ninja_Harbinger, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Ninja_Harbinger

Ninja_Harbinger Member

Hey.

I've not seen a thread for this (also did a quick search)

Me personally, dropped one down the stairs, pulled an old iMac DV apart and was too lazy to put it back together, karate kicked a bag with a laptop in it (DESTROYED the screen).

More too come naturally (attempting water soon)

Post your own, I'm up for a laugh right now.

2. Raykay

Raykay Member

Was coming home from a LAN party at a friends place, the computer was very heavy so I decided to open the rear door of the car, rock the case and gain some momentum and throw it in, but I ended up smashing it on a bit of the frame in the car :lol:

Nothing happened to the car, case has a bit of a dent, oh well, gives it some character haha.

3. OP
    OP
    Ninja_Harbinger

Ninja_Harbinger Member

WUHT?! That's smart...:leet:

4. gaspah

gaspah Member

when doom3 came out i had the side panel off my case cas my pc cooked at the OC i had it at. had a open beer on top of the case, bumped it off, it hit a chair next to the case and bounced right inside the case. It came to rest upside down on top of the video card. basically wiped out all my hardware in one swoop.

5. power

power Member

broke the plastic clip on the CPU socket on my BP6, but adhesive Arctic Silver saved the day - that shit holds onto a FOP38 quite well.

6. Pik0

Pik0 Member

Had an argument with Mum when I was at home cause I was on my laptop, she threatened to throw it out the windows so I did it for her. Missed the fern I was aiming for and went into the pond. Opps.

Luckly it was a 3yo netbook with all the files backed up.

7. Linkin

Linkin Member

I forced a stick of DDR2 in the wrong way and booted up. It wasn't fully clipped in, and thus didn't boot. Inspected everything and saw the notch... "shit" I thought. Stick still worked afterwards though. Kit did eventually fail, but not the stick that I forced in the wrong way...

Cat pissed through my computer as well...

8. kazen

kazen (Banned or Deleted)

wasted money on years of watercooling.

9. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

Well it is not so drastic as dropping it or anything but last yeah when i was trying to prep for BF3 i decided to upgrade my cpu from a Q8400 to a Q9650 on an ASUS P5QL-Pro well the cpu ended the motherboard :upset:

had to end up playing on a mac mini i borrowed from work (it did work sort of playing BF:BC2 on a 27 inch screen with everything on low) and saved up and got the current rig (in sig) and made a second pc with a EVGA 980i (i think) motherboard and everything else that was left over from the other one.

10. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

installed windows vista

11. Raykay

Raykay Member

It seemed smart. At the time :leet:

12. gaspah

gaspah Member

Oh you! lol!

but seriously upgrading to Vista x64 from XP x64 was the single biggest leap on OS performace I've done to my PC since upgrading to XP. It made use of the 8GB of ram i had a lot better than XP ever did.

13. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I didn't do it, but when I went to TAFE in 2008, we were pulling apart and reassembling old PCs. I heard a rather loud *BANG*. Turned out one of the groups in class turned on a PC after accidentally switching the voltage switch to 110 on the PSU.

14. Linkin

Linkin Member

My brother pulled that one before. Right after I bought SW:KOTOR from DSE as well (about 6 years ago now)

15. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

My first ever PC mistake. Deleted command.com on a 386SX. It was supposed to delete the a: one but oh well. I think I was 8?

Scratched the tracks off an A7M266 with a flat nose while attempting to remove a Thermoengine cooler. I always removed PSUs after that effort. Oh it wasn't my PC, was some druggies rig so he was cool with it & gave me more cash to buy another & had him sorted that arvo. :p

Something different maybe. Built a decent P5K Deluxe in a 690 with an HX620W. After it all went together swimmingly (prob my 6000th build) I powered it up and saw a blinding white flame connected to the SATA drive. In shock I borked to turn it off, eventually did but the HDD was a goner. Still got the fried cable & drive if anyone wants pics. The rig still works too!

16. g@z

g@z Member

Beat me to it!

Regards,
    g@z.

17. KriiV

KriiV Member

LOL! :thumbup: That's a winner.

18. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

mine: got mountain dew all over a brand new BT mediacentre KB. completely killed it.

some guys: At one of our hosted LANs (back in the day) we had a rule, "you steal anything or get caught cheating, we throw your PC out the door" Had it printed in huge black text on display where you registered attendance, as well on the sign in sheet.

somebody got caught pinching the ram out of someones pc. naturally we picked up his pc.. and pegged it full force out the front door. (followed by his CRT).

suffice to say. that was the only time somebody tried it and we never had a single case of cheating.

19. Rory K

Rory K Member

A long time ago, when I was about 12, I tried to sabotage my old shitty computer so my parents would buy me a new one. It was an old Gigabyte mobo with an AMD CPU (can't remember the models), with a Radeon 9550. I pulled off about 5 caps from the mobo and scratched off a few PCB traces from both the mobo and the graphics card.... and the fucker kept working! :lol: For at least a couple of years, until I bought my own new computer. There were only 2 effects I noticed: 2 rear USB ports stopped working, and the D-Sub output on the GPU had a reddish tinge (but the DVI was fine).

20. lennyc

lennyc Member

Powered up a motherboard without the processor installed. Made a loud pop and died.