What's the worst thing you've fried with an accidental ESD during a build?

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by Crewcut, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Crewcut

Crewcut Member

Hi all,
    as a newbie to builds - I'm interested in your horror stories.

2. philquad

philquad Member

bent fingers\pins on intel boards
    im the king, once wrecked 2 brand new boards in 1 day!

3. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut Member

OUCH! Was this at work or home?
    Like - did you wreck the board on the weekend, rush out, by another one, drive home, open up the second box that day, only to wreck it again?
    That sounds like the setup to a very specific kind of payoff!
    (I would not cope!) :Paranoid: :lol:

4. philquad

philquad Member

na was just doing a home build, it wouldnt post so send mobo back & they sent me a pic of bent mobo pins, so i bought another, same thing, this time i sent it to msi aus who nicely replaced it for freee.
    ended up it was my mate causing it as i was getting him to put cpu's in.

5. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Bent pins both AMD & Intel, forgetting to connect watercooling pump to power for 2 hours (set up my whole pc before realising), screwing up front panel connectors (all the damn time :mad:), forgetting thermal paste, forgetting power or data on something, usual drives, putting RAM stick in backwards, amazingly the pc booted, fried the stick and slot though, used that board for a few years afterwards as well :leet:... Actually I think I'm still using that board, cant remember. I've also burn out CPUs, modems etc. From thrashing the crap out of them and or overclocking (current FritzBox modem is on it's way out, gets to hot and hardly turn it off or restart it), ruined a few SSDs by heat (stupid M.2 under the damn GPU), worn out and or broke more than a few mouse switches.

Think that's everything. Not really that much considering I've been messing with and building computers for 12 - 13 years.

Never fried anything with ESD, don't know anyone who has tbh. It's very rare these days, most people I know, myself included never bother with wrist straps either.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  6. ozz

ozz Member

bullshit, it wont go in backwards ,because it has a cutout in the ram stick for the lug in the ram slot, and no way it booted mate

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  7. RogerWiIco

RogerWiIco Member

Most times you actually don't know its esd, try power it on and its dead.. send it back under warranty

adicakes and Lord Belial like this.
  8. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Doesn't have to fully go in for it to damage the stick, slot and still boot which is what it did.

elvis likes this.
  9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Can confirm, I've put a RAM stick in backwards. Powered up and saw the magic smoke. Luckily it was old (but not retro) cheap crap. But still, very stupid on my behalf.

Never too old to re-learn the lesson of why rushing things is a bad idea.

10. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I was half asleep when I did it :lol:, server RAM and board, fun.

elvis likes this.
  11. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Never fried anything with ESD. Only horror story I have was my system crashing hard while I was playing War Thunder, then it wouldn't boot, so I remounted the GPU. When I went to turn it on the PCI-E power cables caught on fire.

I shut it down. I RMA'd the power supply and the GPU (980) and impulse replaced them with a 1050w PSU and SLI 980ti's lol that I used until this week when I replaced them in my 3080 refresh build.

Oh and was once doing some volunteer work refurbishing old business PC's for people who didn't have access to a computer for their kids and one of them came back with cockroaches and spiders infested in it. Ended up yeeting it into the rubbish bin.

12. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I haven't managed to kill anything with ESD and I take no particular care with my builds. I also have open air bench setups that just sit on a box or my desk and have components swapped out regularly. I think you have to go out of your way to build your setup in a bad environment or just get super unlucky to have any issues with that.

Bent pins, dropped components, fingers in high speed fans - well, they are some other stories :)

13. shane41

shane41 Member

Not esd. Sure though I killed an expensive DDR3 mem stick. Removing it from motherboard when it was not completely drained of power.

Edit. Add video for the lol's. Don't make him angry ever :Paranoid: Start 2:30

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  14. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut Member

Tell me more about how to avoid this one - anyone got a diagram or image of how far apart they should be? I'm hoping to do my first ever build soonish.

15. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut Member

WOW!

Nice - how does the 3080 drive?

16. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut Member

Yeah - that's the point where I feel the universe laughing at me and my fragile psychiatric defences start to crumble and the world implodes....

BTW - a bit further on he starts a rebuild and I'm not quite sure what he said about nitrogen to do a quick test?
    Also, what's that Zenith thing with the readout he's testing the board with before it's all assembled?

17. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

As others have said, thousands of people have no issue, it's very rare to have that happen. Good airflow and a cool ambient should avoid it but in general the vast majority of electronics don't like sustained heat, the more heat and the more time exposed to that heat the more chance of something failing.

My particular set up is kinda crap, hot room especially in summer, hot cards and kinda crappy air flow. I can also play games literally all day, from 8am till 8 or 9pm so a 70c GPU all day over a kinda sensitive M.2... It's gong to get hot and degrade it's life no matter what protection the drive has internally. Add to that 35 - 40c ambient in summer, my PC hates me lol.

18. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

It's amazing.

19. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

You can validate this with Aetherone here, but my party trick at LANs was to take my s370 Celerons out, comb my hair, put them back in, boot them without the HSF, pretend I just remembered them, and install the HSF while it was running, fire up q3 or something and then pretend I forgot to plug the fan in.

In the era of crushed/burnt Athlon/duron cores the looks on peoples faces were priceless.

Closest I came to ESD was walking across carpet, touching a GF3, hearing/feeling an audible zap, which corrupted the colours. Reboot no worries.

ESD may not be a myth, but it does seem grossly exaggerated.

20. OP
    OP
    Crewcut

Crewcut Member

Sounds like fun.
    I'm too much of an anxious perfectionist these days.