1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats with driver sizes these days???

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by neon_87, Dec 1, 2008.

1. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

I just went to download the newest nvidia drivers....

70 freaking MB? What the hell do they put in this stuff.... all i want is a driver.... thats what, like 300kb? Whats the rest of the rubbish? I could understand 20-30MB, but this is just insane!

Looking back on my archives...

My 61.77 drivers are like, 12MB
    My 94.24 drivers are like 32MB
    my 175.16 drivers are about 40MB

What on earth have they put in these latest drivers to make them so freaking huge??? (180.48)

Im glad i have a decent connection, but jesus, some of us arent so lucky!

Does anyone else think that drivers are getting too big and bulky these days? I just had a look at the latest CCC and they arent even 40MB...

maybe im just crazy. /end rant.

2. FLB

FLB Member

DX10 support, Open GL2.x, 3.0 support, CUDA 1.x & 2.x support have all added to the size, as well as the number of supported cards has risen, and in recent times PhysX runtimes have been distributed within the driver package as well.

CUDA & PhysX being the biggest culprits I would assume.

3. luke o

luke o Member

I for one would be happy with Nvidia splitting their driver packs into Legacy and Latest.

Legacy being anything prior to the last three generations. So GT2x0/9x00/8x00 would be in the "Latest" pack. Anything older would go in the legacy pack.

Even if it only chopped 20% off the download size it would be nice.

I know what you mean though... my sound card drivers are 110MB. Mobo drivers topping 40MB. Keyboard and mouse drivers on a cd all to themselves...

4. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Optimisations for all supported GPUs, in all of the most important games, at all of the most likely settings. Support for things like CUDA, SLI, and DX10. If you just want a 300KB driver, I'm sure that Nvidia can make you one - but you'll probably have to live without 3D support.

Modern GPUs (and indeed pretty much any GPU) can't handle pure DirectX or OpenGL directly. The DX/OpenGL calls need to be translated by the drivers, optimised to suit the specific system configuration, and fed to the GPU. More optimisation = more speed, and since optimisations are cheap (relatively) all the major companies spend a lot of time working on those. Obviously this increases driver suze substantially.

5. Pugs

Pugs Member

also sometimes they have game demos and tool bars and other junk added in there that yu don't realize till yu run the exe file

6. manic311

manic311 (Banned or Deleted)

I don't get it? It's only 70mb, takes like 50s to download what's the problem? :confused:

7. FLB

FLB Member

No they don't, they might install a (optional mind you) html link to a game demo/freebie game but thats it. I have never had a toolbar installed via NV or ATI drivers.

8. luke o

luke o Member

Sigh. I'd call you an idiot but would be mean, you are just uninformed.

Broadband in this country of ours reaches barely out of town.

For anyone in a rural area on dialup 1MB takes upto 8 minutes. So take your 50MB drivers and...

9. Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

Read my signature. If I lived in the sticks I'd be using usb thumbdrive carrying pidgeons as my ppp

I do agree however that pretty much all driver in general are huge downloads for what they are. I'm looking at you Intel with your 20mb downloads for a proset Nic driver when there's less than 200kb of actual driver I need in the downloaded file.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  10. bigheadache

bigheadache Member

Pfft.. my sound card drivers are 250mb... /shakes fist at auzentech

I agree with you though. I'm not a big fan of unified drivers.

11. Icepic2005

Icepic2005 Member

Whats 70mb for a driver??? when you have 1Tb hdd space....

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've been saying this for a little while now, the sizes are starting to get ridiculous....especially when you have multiple environments and do testing with various driver sets.

13. OP
    OP
    neon_87

neon_87 RIP

i dont really get it... you select your os and your gfx card when you download on the nvidia site, yet it still downloads the entire package... i would have thought you could just download just the 8800GT driver.... ah well..

Its not so much a problem for me. it took about 2 mins, but i remember when i was on dial up... that would have taken the better part of a week to grab.

I have 80gb of downloads, which i use quite happily, but if i was to rebuild my pc... i have about 300mb of drivers to download, then about what, another 400-500mb of windows updates? Im almost tempted to set myself up a wsus server at home, cos i do alot of pc builds for other people... i could easily waste 5gb a month on drivers and updates.

14. g0bbles

g0bbles Member

I agree with the fact that the sizes are rediculous... I have wireless broadband, which I often curse at and ask my Wife to order a new Internet Pigeon to transfer my packets faster...

To update Drivers I have to get a USB Thumbdrive and Download it at work and bring it home... They should have a separate file for each card / combination of cards as opposed to the whole series... This would however mean creating several packages so I can see wh ythey do it in a bulk lot.

15. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

its the whole unified thing.

one package is easier to update/maintain then a million different ones. remember just because you have 8800gt it doesnt mean a separate driver released for 8800gt would work, ie different memory configs, pcb configs, bios, etc would all mean slightly different drivers.

16. chookman

chookman Member

Sounds like Auzentech are getting you with "extra" programs there... My X-fi drivers are only ~20mb its the programs after that that add to it.

Weren't AMD/ATI making the majority of their driver separate now?

17. Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

Why wsus when you can just intergrate drivers servicepacks and hotfixes right into the Windows cd?

18. noboundaries-au

noboundaries-au Member

Heh, the drivers for Linux are only about 10-15 meg, and the driver supports the vast majority of the same stuff the windows one does.

19. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

you update your slipstream every month? now thats a waste of time :)

who needs to wsus or slipstream when you have ctupdate5.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  20. Clippit

Clippit Member

These people don't get it:
    These people get it:
    bricks, to make them stable :)

Even if it is all game optimisations and wrappers, isn't this defeating the point of all our "High Level Shader Language" and "Stream Processor" sophistication? Or is it just the ugly back-end of these developments intended to make graphics processors more "flexible" and "powerful" for programmers?