1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your 2020 photography resolution?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Aratama_Bashi, Jan 2, 2020.

?

What's your main photography 2020 resolution?

1. Learn something completely new, eg. lighting techniques

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Get some stones and shoot in manual mode full time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Buy even more gear

6.9%
  4. Try a new style that you haven't touch before, eg. portraits

3.4%
  5. Actually get off your ass and shoot more

69.0%
  6. Something else

13.8%
  7. Take more photos of candy

6.9%
  1. Xang

Xang Member

The 35/55/85 f/1.8 primes are a tight travel kit that cover a lot of ground. If you want longer than 85, go to 200-300mm. The 135GM is a perfect lens but it's big, heavy and not noticeably longer than 85 for travel.

nisstrust likes this.
  2. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Missing poll option: "16mp, just like every year since I moved to m43" ;)

3. Hater

Hater Member

"Take photos of candy" seems ultra creepy.

4. Maddog06

Maddog06 Member

Very good discussion post. My partner and I just moved out to Melbourne from Perth. We've been here about 5mths. Now that we are settled in, I'm starting to feel the itch to get out and shoot. My life-work balance has been very poor but I need to place a priority on changing that. I love landscape photography and Victoria has a lot to offer. Unlike WA, you guys have a lot of waterfalls, I would love to get out and start discovering these. Need to practice some waterfall composition, long exposure and stacking.

Totally agree here. I would hate to add the costs of all the photography gear I've bought and sold in the last 10yrs lol! Also, definitely get printing! It feels satisfying watching your own progression, from camera > post processing > prints on your wall and at family and friends' homes. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

I think with setting goals you need to make them small enough they motivate you, especially if you are having trouble with hitting that goal for various reasons (busy schedule, lack of creativity etc.). I have lacked creativity (a plethora of reasons) for a good 6-8mths now and it's frustrating. I too said to myself "ok I can't seem to get out weekly for photos, I'll do once a month". Never happened. Even if your goal is so small that it just involves making a list of places you want to photograph and cleaning and getting your gear ready, that’s a step in the right direction.

What sort of photos do you like to take? I did a photography trip to Iceland a coupe years back. Cost a bit of cash, but the experience was worth it! Totally recommend it. I would love to do a photo trip to NZ and Patagonia, but the costs are holding me back. Maybe just local trips for the time being.

It's tough, I know the feeling.

I’ve made it a mission to not walk into a camera store. I now walk fast past any camera store to even avoid the contemplation of walking in haha.

5. boneburner

boneburner Member

Noticed a few people wishing they could get out more - then weirdly, this popped up in my tube recommend - where the start segment addresses this very issue and a simple method to regain some of your phojo

6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I think my resolution is always get out and shoot more, and that's where I put my vote. But I think honestly my main resolution right now is to wait for the release of the R5, sell my 80d and 5d4, offload my apsc lenses and hope that covers enough of the cost.. I'm not getting the use out of 2 bodies that I thought I would and it'd be nice not having to shuffle gear around depending on what I'm doing where. But who am I kidding, I'll just buy more gear when I can afford it and end up shuffling again anyway.

Maddog06 likes this.
  7. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Did the same a few years ago now, I've been in Melbourne for almost 9 years now after moving over from Perth - actual waterfalls in rainforest no less too! Heaps of waterfalls that are within an hour or so drive from the city as well, and of course if you want to go further afield there are some nice ones down in the Otways too and a few other spots.

8. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

My resolution has been to concentrate on quality over quantity, which just means saying "No" more often. I am shooting less, but liking the shoots I do a lot more.