What's your company's Apple/Mac situation?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by [KEi]SoVeReIgN, Oct 5, 2017.

1. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Curious to hear from those in the game, especially in big enterprise. Some companies seem to have fully embraced Macs as a supported device, others have tried and failed and some aren't interested at all - What's your situation?

Fully support Macs for particular roles?
    Complete choose your own device program (Ala IBM)?
    BYOD?
    iPhones a standard but no Macs?
    Developers or marketing have them unsupported and no one speaks of it?
    Execs have them and IT hates it?
    Attempted to integrate them and failed?

Common stumbling blocks I've heard having had this discussion with a few people... (but I'm curious to hear more or how common these are.)

- Cost
    - Hardware support from Apple lacking
    - IT skills lacking
    - No enterprise grade deployment tools
    - Not possible to adhere to security policy
    - OS X can't deliver the hardened security environment windows can
    - Too many windows apps in environment
    - Citrix/RDP for aforementioned windows apps is garbage
    - 802.11x integration issues (AD certs, SCEP etc)
    - Network drive/DFS integration issues
    - AD Integration issues

I might be bullish on it, but I think we're heading to a completely device and infrastructure agnostic world and it's only a matter of time before the expectation is people are given whatever device they're most comfortable (read: efficient) on. If companies don't get in-front of it they might be left behind.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  2. Dazatwrk

Dazatwrk Member

Its all a non-issue. Apple's pricing will ensure that IT will never have to deal with Apple on a large scale. When it comes to the business market, anything Apple does can be done cheaper by someone else.

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

eh. Its not so much the pricing thats the problem - its the lifecycle and support of devices.

If I buy 1000 dell's, Dell will look after me, the devices, etc, etc. A Dell tech will come and swap mainboards and whatever - globally - if i require.

If I buy 1000 mac's, I'm a fucken retard. Because I need to buy another 100 just to keep the 1000 happy happs.

From the Software management side - Caspar/JAMF is your go to. But $$$$.

4. kbekus

kbekus Member

I've been hearing this for so long I file it alongside the expectation that we're going paperless any day now.

5. bcann

bcann Member

Haven't seen a MAC in a corporate that i've worked for in a LONG LONG time.

In fact the last time i saw a Mac was in the Crayon Eater Department for a design/print company ... wow easy 7+ years ago.

Admittedly i don't generally do work or have been outsourced for the creative types, but even in areas where i have worked that are graphics heavy (Read CAD/CAM) its always been without exception been a PC Dominated world.

Having said that i can sell you a guaranteed solution to fix any MAC problem for about 50c a round or $1.50 for a slug... It makes a lot of noise and the creative types tend to cry after woods, but its very effective.

Last few times i went to the kids schools, even they don't have so many Macs as when i was a kid.

Read my BYOD thread on the BE & C Thread to see why this will never happen.

6. Gunna

Gunna Member

[QUOTE='[KEi]I might be bullish on it, but I think we're heading to a completely device and infrastructure agnostic world and it's only a matter of time before the expectation is people are given whatever device they're most comfortable (read: efficient) on. If companies don't get in-front of it they might be left behind.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that'll never happen. LoB apps, uniformity, support and reliability will always be the driving force behind this.

You will see users skill sets start to drop though as user are getting used to phones and tablets, then step into a world of desktops and struggle.

7. NSanity

NSanity Member

Agreed.

BYOD is turning around - because people have had a cycle or two of it and realised that you have the same problems, people are still - on average - lazy shitlords, more importantly you have to do with 29438762986 more hardware configurations, most of which cheap pieces of shit, to support people with non business/enterprise grade support arrangements.

If you can do your job from a web browser - sure that's another thing entirely, but most can't.

8. chip

chip Member

Worst thing about working with Apple Macs is that I'm a colossal pedant who is triggered badly when people capitalise the name. It's an abbreviation of Macintosh, not an blasted acronym, and yes, I will interrupt the meeting to point that out.

As for deploying software/OSes, Munki+AutoPkgr and Deploystudio work well enough for it not to be a hassle. For config management, MacOS Server and SCCM are good enough that we don't need to shovel cash onto the Jamf money fire. Lacking AMT puts them behind the Wintel alternatives for managing the fleet hardware when on-premises.

We're relatively comfortable with MacOS security. If an org has that staff to manage the above, then they should be able to sort out security and patching.

This is my experience too, on the hardware purchase cost side of things. Dell & HP will give us machines with equivalent physical and technical specs to MBPs, but more than 20% cheaper once we include 3 year on-site warranty, new dongles/chargers with each new generation of Macbooks etc etc. And that's with Apple's 'special' pricing for our sector. Little things like like Apple patenting magsafe to USB-C adapters and then not selling any are just the icing on the shitcake when you compare it to being able to use 10 year old Dell AC adapters on Skylake-gen laptops.

9. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

4500 Staff

The few people using Mac, only support provided Citrix Remote Desktop.
    All other users can be on local.

Shit goes wrong with Mac reimage....

All other Dells get much better support.

iphone / iPad get PDF exchange information

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  10. OP
    OP
    [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

11. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

As for above, CIT / CTO / COO have been told not to waste time on MAC support.

12. Dr Kildare

Dr Kildare Medic!

Our fleet is now roughly 1/3 MacOS (~300)

Most staff have a choice of a MBA, Surface or X1 inline with refresh every 3 years. Developers / UX are all MBPs

Have been using Jamf Pro (Casper) for a number of years now.

Few challenges early on but overall there are very few applications in our environment that require Windows these days.

13. zeeps

zeeps Member

What about AD/Group Policies etc?

14. Dr Kildare

Dr Kildare Medic!

Where applicable we've aligned the Casper policies / configuration profiles with GPO / SCCM

15. Falkor

Falkor Member

Yeah Casper does a great job managing them.

Our Creative/Marketing department uses Macs, the only issue I have is connectivity for them sucks in terms of docks/monitors on Macbooks.

There are some decent looking docks coming it seems though, but there is nothing Apple makes compared to say a HP Laptop that has a great dock which takes dual monitors etc.

16. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

Where I'm at currently has recently gone through a CEO change (and the obvious restructure that that entails, is currently on-going). As part of this process, some of the new C level people that have been hired have a strict, I'm only using my Mac, personal "rule".

After being explicitly told "no" by the relevant IT management structure, one of the new C positions has made it their first order of business to introduce a new corporate strategy that includes BYOD and full remote work solutions (where-by previously, there was a strict no work offsite policy).

Since the announcement that the rules would be weakened, and the aforementioned C level exec now has their MBP on the guest WiFi with email access and a few other solutions via existing external access solutions, the number of workers that have brought in their own Macs' or sought to buy Mac based hardware has exploded.

I'm watching this thread with interest, as it has been some time since I've had to manage Macs on an internal network, and while we're not there yet, I can see the writing on the wall.

17. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

We have MBPs, but they almost exclusively run windows. Some of the OPS guys use MacOS because they just need a terminal and browser to do work. Dev's / support need Windows to actually do work.

18. decryption

decryption Member

Interesting - why not get something non-Apple to run Windows on?

19. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Someone here likes how macs look, I'm actually pretty sure thats why.

We've only just started getting proper Dell 27" monitors now, thank christ apple stopped making the cinema displays; a truly awful piece of technology. Good riddance.

20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

We had an Apple mad CEO years back that had the standard company phone set as an ipone, still is to this day. Only difference currently is you can also order a samsung galaxy A5 if you want, or just BYOD, we don't care.

Email setup was all through o365 so that worked equally well on ios/android. Now through gmail, same deal. Although for some reason when setting up on android it takes you through a big device security spiel, installs a google device policy app etc. None of that on ios, username/password and you're done. *shrug.

Edit: Other than that we have 10 macs in the whole company, running mission critical software. They're G5's, minimum 13yrs old now I think, being kept alive with spare parts from ebay. There's been some sort of running project to replace them for at least the last 5yrs, to my knowledge no progress has been made, with other 'more immediate' projects always pushing the mac replacement to the rear. One day they'll all shit themselves and the company will grind to a halt.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017