1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite 3rd/4th gen console?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by abs1nthe, Nov 11, 2010.

?

What's your favorite 3rd/4th gen console?

1. Sega Master System

7.6%
  2. Sega Master System II

11.4%
  3. Sega Mega Drive / Genesis

19.0%
  4. Sega Mega Drive / Genesis II

11.4%
  5. Sega Game Gear

5.7%
  6. Nintendo Entertainment System

17.1%
  7. Super Nintendo Entertainment System

53.3%
  8. Nintendo Gameboy

9.5%
  9. Nintendo Gameboy Pocket

6.7%
  10. TurboGrafx-16

1.0%
  11. Commodore 64

14.3%
  12. Atari 7800

1.0%
  13. Atari Lynx

3.8%
  14. Neo Geo

5.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. abs1nthe

abs1nthe Member

As the title states. Include your reasons/favorite games if you so wish.

Mine would be SNES.

Never owned one as a kid. As the oldest and only male, with about ~15 female cousins, I had no one to play with when I was over at my Aunt's house. Out of the kindness of her heart she bought one just for me to have something to do when I came over.

I would put hours into Super Mario All Stars and Super Mario World when I was around there. Loved the graphics upgrade, as I had a NES at home, and new selection of games I could hire from the video store.

Legend of Zelda : A Link to the Past would be my favorite on the console.

2. DavoRulz

DavoRulz (Banned or Deleted)

SNES +1. Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario World, Secret of Evermore and my Nintendo Scope 6 :leet:

3. OP
    OP
    abs1nthe

abs1nthe Member

The Scope 6 is something I've always wanted but never had the chance of checking out. Hoping to pick one up soon. I have the NES zapper and hoping it is a bit of a BAZOOKA upgrade from that.

4. ZafaZ

ZafaZ Member

Sega Master System

It's the only one on that list I had, way better graphics than a nes :)

Unfortunately not as many games though

5. Garido

Garido Member

SNES for me was awesome but equally as awesome as the GameBoy. Portable gaming like that was AWESOME.

6. gordonfreeman

gordonfreeman (Banned or Deleted)

AWESOME....

7. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Gameboy for me, still got my original beige one and a stack of games :) Also got a 4 player multitap thing but I never used it- the only game I know of that supported more than 2 players was F1 Race and there was rarely that many people with gameboys and the same game in one place :p

I also loved the master system although I never owned one myself, the original sonic is still one of my favourites :D Although some of those games were made much harder by the lack of a save system- like alex kidd and Wonder Boy in monster land. Some of them had passwords but I really don't miss writing those damn things down...

8. TaXy DriVar

TaXy DriVar Member

Sega Megadrive II for me ... it was my upgrade from my Atari 2600 ... and it came with Mortal Kombat! That was EPIC for me at the time, as it was so popular on the arcades .. I couldn't believe that I could play it for free at home as long as I wanted.....

.. Also came with Sonic 2, Columns, and Alex Kidd and the Enchanted Castle.

Later on I acquired titles like Gunstar Heroes, Urban Strike, Micro Machines 2 (played that for 10hrs multiplayer with my brother the first time we hired it from the video store ... later we saved to buy it), Triple Play Gold ....

9. nimmers

nimmers Member

If you are lumping the 16 bit SNES and the 8 bit c64 in the same poll then the Amiga should really be in the poll too... And why split the Megadrive int MD1 and MD2? Seems silly.

10. OP
    OP
    abs1nthe

abs1nthe Member

Judging by the wiki entries for 3rd and 4th Gen consoles Amiga is not listed. There are quite a few other consoles that fall within both gens that I have omitted as to not make a massive poll. There is always the option to make a post saying "Amiga is/was my favorite".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_consoles
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28third_generation%29
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28fourth_generation%29

The Mega Drive has a separate option as some people owned one and not the other. I personally owned a SMD2 but not a SMD1. As indicated at the time of this post, 5 votes for SMD1 and 4 votes for SMD2. I don't see why this would be a problem?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  11. flain

flain Member

I dont think the amiga was classified as a console, it was a computer and cost like $2000

Neo-Geo was by far the best graphically, but the cost was beyond most of us :(

12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Cannot vote, thus I will not vote.

Asking to choose a favourite console would be like asking me to choose which of my children I love the most. Simply an unfathomable concept.

13. OP
    OP
    abs1nthe

abs1nthe Member

Multi votes are enabled. :thumbup:
    I understand your stance tho.

14. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

One reason for the Mega Drive split is the difference in hardware eg sound processor in MD2 was crap compared to MD.

15. xsive

xsive Member

I was tempted to agree with this but if I'm really honest with myself, I love my SNES much more than my MD :p

It's weird as I grew up with the latter; but the SNES is superior in every regard. It also has better games meaning my MD sits and gathers dust most of the time.

16. frizzl

frizzl Member

I'm a SNES man :)

Never had one as a kid, now with a proper job etc, have a few :p

Fond memories of playing Donkey Kong at a mate's house, as well as a few of the Marios. My first introduction to it all was playing the NES at another mate's house, playing Super Mario. Good memories :)

17. dreamcaster

dreamcaster Member

I like them all but out of the options available my two favourite's are the SNES and Mega-drive. I had a MD back in the day & one of my good mates had a SNES. We would hire a couple of games pretty much every weekend for around $2 each so niether of us missed out on the gems from either system. :leet:

18. Phido

Phido Member

Amgia is a console look up CD32

I was at the Australian release many years ago... Out sold the MD CD in many markets..

19. OP
    OP
    abs1nthe

abs1nthe Member

Since you asked me to look it up.

According to wiki :

Amiga CD32:
    Retail availability : UK September 1993
    Discontinued : April 1994
    Units sold : Approx 100,000

Sega Mega-CD:
    Retail availability :
    JP December 12, 1991
    NA October 15, 1992
    EU April 19, 1993
    AUS April 19, 1993
    Units sold : 6 million

20. peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

I miss Alex the Kidd in miracle world on my old Sega Master System 2 :(

I was only 5 years old and never beat level 4 or 5 forget which but my mothers first husband beat the game one day as I watched

our mega drive box had the scissors, paper, rock games answers written on a flap lol then they pawned the console

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellivision

thats the only console I liked more than Master System lol loved dungeons and dragons, burgertime, frogger, shark attack, tron, blackjack or whatever it was called and all the other 50 games we had

i'm only 25 and console was from the last 70's and early 80's but we had 2 working consoles up till my grandmother gave them away a few years ago