What's your favourite airline?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by bueller, Oct 19, 2012.

1. bueller

bueller Member

At the moment my favourite is Air New Zealand, flew them earlier in the year and they were brilliant. Good food, plenty of in-flight entertainment, comfortable seats and really pleasant flight attendants.

Least favourite would have to be Virgin, on the way to Sydney earlier this year they were delayed by 3 hours which nearly made me miss my connecting flight. Seats were uncomfortable and the cabins looked like they were falling apart. Got on a newer plane for the return flight only to find that they had no in-flight entertainment of any kind. Luckily I had a book to read however the girl next to me didn't so I had to put up with chatty Cathy all damn flight. Never again.

Will be flying Cathay Pacific in a fornight, anyone had any experiences with them?

2. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

I have flown Emirates, Qantas, Virgin, Jetstar, Garuda.

1. Emirates - by far
    2. Garuda
    3. Qantas
    4. Virgin
    7829: Jetsar

3. OP
    OP
    bueller

bueller Member

Funny you should mention Jetstar actually, my boss has had a hell of a time with them lately. After seeing what he's been put through I've vowed never to book another flight with them.

4. maev

maev Member

I was going to say, I would fly anyone but jetstar.

I'm going to say virgin, though that's only been domestic.

5. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

Domestic: Qantas > Virgin > Jetstar

6. spludgey

spludgey Member

Domestic: Qantas > Virgin > Jetstar >> Tiger

7. OP
    OP
    bueller

bueller Member

People fly Tiger? :D

I've always avoided them like the plague, every person I've ever known that has flown them has had nothing but bad things to say.

8. Krossceeper

Krossceeper Member

Favorite - Korean Air (amazing food, service etc)
    Runner ups - Cathay pacific, Qantas.

Worst - China airlines (horrible food which made me very very sick)
    Runner ups - Jetstar.

To be honest though I expected as much with jetstar, it wasnt that 'bad' as such. They have cheap flights for a reason.

9. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

Good to hear, I'll be flying with them later this year.

Best Int'l: SIA
    Best Domestic: Virgin

10. Falkor

Falkor Member

Man so many people like Qantas, I think they are terrible international. Domestic they are the best but their international I find terrible and I've been delayed/had issues everytime I've flown them.

Singapore by far are the best.

Also depends where you are flying, within Australia Virgin are good but only a budget carrier. However within the US Virgin America is top notch.

11. Nikoy

Nikoy Member

Singapore
    Emirates
    Qantas
    Malyasian
    Lufthansa

12. Sandez

Sandez Member

People actually enjoy flying Qantas domestically? I guess you all love your frequent flyer points. The amount of inconvenience, last minute cancellations and other things that Qantas cause myself and my clients mean I only go with them because I have to. I've personally dealt with rude, inattentive cabin staff, uncomfortable seats and innumerable delays for no reason. Their staff are also only willing to help 5% of the time (as both a member of the general public and someone in the industry), and transfer you around the rest of the time. :rolleyes: Unfortunately as this is a public forum I can't express my true opinions but what I have written is pretty much standard knowledge.

Every few weeks they reschedule a few of their key WA routes 5 minutes either side, then swap it back, just to fuck with the agents and passengers. They also will make changes to flights, pushing them back an hour without any reason, which inconveniences hundreds of people and fucks with the buses carrying my clients to site. :p

My favourite domestically would have to be Virgin based on the numerous flights I've taken with them, which have all been fantastic. They are also doing a huge push to increase their routes domestically which will allow them to hopefully decimate the complacent Qantas (who would be dead in the water without corporate flyers). They are also always willing to fix problems and go above and beyond the call of duty which is always an asset. Having flown them to NZ too I can't rate the experience highly enough. They are doing a massive push to improve their public image and will be becoming a full service carrier in January which will result in a much better trip for all involved. If anyone has any negative experience on Virgin please send me a PM and I will pass it onto their sales team as they are always willing to listen.

Internationally, I would say Singapore Airlines or Emirates. My least favourite is Garuda based on a trip I took domestically within Indonesia several years ago. I hear they have improved immensely in the last couple of years though. Qantas also have the dubious honour of sharing bottom spot based on an absolutely woeful Sydney to Singapore flight I took a while back.

13. Raykay

Raykay Member

I was young when I flew with Singapore AL, but it seems to bring back better memories than Malaysian AL, who I've used more often in recent years.

14. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Singapore Airlines fo sho.

IMO no good domestic ones, they all have issues. Would choose Virgin though. Qantas isn't worth the price.

15. OP
    OP
    bueller

bueller Member

Actually you make a pretty good point, I said I wouldn't fly Virgin again after last time but thinking about it there's not really much option as Qantas are too pricey and I wouldn't touch Jetstar or Tiger with a ten foot clown pole.

16. Sandez

Sandez Member

You should give them another chance, they've come a long way from even a year ago. And yours is honestly the worst feedback I've heard out of the hundreds of times I've put folks on them for domestic flights. Schedule changes are often unavoidable though.

17. Concept CBF

Concept CBF Member

I fly Jetstar domestic purely because the seats are comfier than the others.
    They are all pretty much identical in service. Qantas just costs 2-5x what you expect to pay for a flight for the same service.

International i have only really flown qantas, seems to be varied greatly with service (all due to FF points of parents pretty much)

18. switchblade327

switchblade327 Member

1. Singapore - all round brilliant experience (PPS Solitaire member here :))
    2. Garuda - clean planes, good food and entertainment, ontime service
    3. Air Asia - best sky candy, premium seats @ $20-100 more are brilliant
    4. Air NZ - wish the did domestic AU routes
    100. Qantas - tragedy
    :
    :
    9999998. Aeroflot
    9999999. Jetstar

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I don't really have enough to compare but I must be an easy going customer or just never run into any bad service. Over the many flights I've had I've not had an issue. Flying United to the US was a breeze (plus internal flights)....Qantas/Air NZ to NZ several times, no problems. Plenty of internal flights to every state, Virgin, Jetstar, REX, Qantas, Tiger....never a problem.

Will be watching this thread with interest as I have a UK trip planned for mid next year.

20. _slappy_dn

_slappy_dn Member

1 - QATAR
    2 - Thai
    3 - Etihad
    4 - Virgin Australia
    5 - Air France
    6 - China Southern
    7- Delta
    8 - Jetstar
    9 - Qantas