What's your favourite airline?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by bueller, Oct 19, 2012.

1. doug81

doug81 Member

1. Singapore Air
    2. Air New Zealand
    3. Malaysian Air
    4. LAN
    5. TAM
    6. Virgin
    7. Qantas
    8. Air Asia
    9. Lao Airlines
    10. Vietnam Airlines
    11. Aerolineas Argentinas
    12. Tiger Asia
    13. China Southern
    14. Sichuan Airlines
    15. Jetstar Australia
    16. Tiger Australia
    A few big ones I haven't travelled on, but figured I'd at least list the ones I have

2. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

Domestic. Virgin by a mile.
    International. Ethiad going west.. Air New Zealand going east.

3. spectre257

spectre257 Member

Mainly flown domestic
    Qantas then Virgin.

I've had great service from Qantas we were late for a flight and our cousin had wandered off the staff at Qantas bent over backwards accommodating us putting my sister on an earlier flight, the baggage and my cousin on a later flight.

My last experience with Virgin left a sour taste in my mouth - when I was heading down to Melbourne to attend PMA last year one of the flight attendants completely ignored me, I asked for service and she just glared at me with the expression of "What the fuck do you want?".:thumbdn:

The flight back was fine and the rest of the crew were great but that event seriously marred my experience...

4. brettmo86

brettmo86 Member

Flown domestic with Jetstar and Tiger. Haven't had issues. Both seemed as good as each other. Have also flown Jetstar Gold Coast to Christchurch, again no issues.

Flown from Bris to Heathrow and back with Korean Air. Absolutely fantastic food and service. Hot hostesses also ;) Highly recommended.

Flown AirAsia from Gold Coast to Thailand and back. It was OK, wasn't expecting much for the money I paid. Food (which I had to pay extra for) was ordinary and their terminal in KL is pretty lame. Long walks to planes, long wait in line while getting checked in and out because they don't have enough staff on etc.

5. vec

vec (Taking a Break)

A cheaper way would be to grab the most inexpensive flight possible to the states then spend approx 2k on AA, for the same outcome.

6. munka

munka Member

I've flown more than most people. At least 25 airlines under the belt. I agree air new Zealand are excellent. But my all time favourite is air Asia.

Best and hottest flight attendants, cheap upgrade to business equivalent seats and by far the best on time record of any airline I've flown.

Other than that all major Asian airlines come in a tied second. I can't differentiate Thai Korean Singapore Cathay etc. New Zealand fit in that bucket too

Then Qantas and virgin

Then any major European carrier

Them any us carrier (ugh)

Then Ryan air and easy jet

And then last of all my flights with jet star have consistently been late, messed me around and when they change my schedule they refuse to put me on anything other than their cheapest alternative.

I am not fussy when on the plane but the Hassel on the ground makes a huge difference. If you delay me I expect to be put on the most convenient alternative for me, not for them.

7. decayingcorpse

decayingcorpse Member

i've only ever flown with the three domestics...

we like virgin business class. because its not quaintarse and not dodgystar. tiger? ew.

8. Fists Up

Fists Up Member

I've done lots of flying but mainly stick to ones I already know are good when trying to book. I also find its pretty easy to get through a flight that only lasts a few hours as I usually avoid whatever food and stuff they serve anyway.

I also find the mood you are in decides how much you will enjoy the flight. I can't remember much of the Icelandair plane at all because I was enjoying the fact I was going to Iceland.

Long Flights (Over 5 hours) - Best to Worst

Singapore Airlines
    Qantas
    Cathay Pacific
    Thai Airways
    British Airways
    Malaysia Airlines
    Air Canada
    China Airlines
    United (Worst planes and flight attendants ever)

Short Flights (Under 5 hours) - Best to Worst

American Airlines (The fact I had new and near empty planes every time has helped)
    EVA Air
    Air Asia
    Virgin
    Icelandair
    Lufthansa
    Delta
    Jetstar
    Hong Kong Airlines

Flown the Australian carriers the most by far. I really enjoy Qantas. I think everyone being Australian helps a little. Plus I think the food is quite good.

9. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Thai airways any good? I like sitting at the back of 747s for the noise during takeoff and for watching the flaps and spoilers on landing, also love some hostess eye candy
    Planning a trip from syd to bkg

10. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Member

Flying Thai J/F at the end of the year, will report back.

11. UPKA

UPKA Member

they just refurbed their 747s, so the interior is up to int'l standard now. everything else was average.

if you want hot stewardess, try Air Asia and Singapore. ;)

12. Chief Pirate

Chief Pirate Member

As a current driver of aluminium in the atmosphere, (that means Pilot) the above statement is typical of crap I often hear from SLF (Self Loading Freight). That means people for those who don't comprehend.

The in flight conditions can vary markedly thus giving the average punter a completely different ride home as opposed to the flight earlier that day.

The jocks up the front, irrespective of their allegiance to VB/QF/JQ will nearly always try their best to find smooth air.

13. Garido

Garido Member

yeah pretty good from my experience, cheap too.

14. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I've only ever flown with...

• Ansett (before its closure)
    • Air Canada
    • Cathay Pacific

all of which i find to be decent enough with service and their aircraft.

15. Zee

Zee Member

I fly Thai 2-3 times/year, generally pretty good, but if you want eye candy...

Air Asia
    Lion Air
    Adria

Adria *may* top that list, actually...

Z...

16. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Thanks guys

$630 return with air asia compared to $1100 with thai is tempting even if i have to go via KL, they fly A333s and 320s

booked mum on a emirates flight recently, syd-akl, she flies abit and loves seafood dishes so i selected her the seafood meal option, she reckons it was great and the best food she has had on an airline, so if any of you like seafood dishes..

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  17. MorgzMods

MorgzMods Member

I've flown Cathay Pacific (INT'L), Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin all domestic.

Cathay was fantastic, as my first INT'L flight I didn't realise how great it was until some longer domestic flights with other carriers.

Will be experiencing Jetstar's Business cabin on an A330 within a few weeks!

18. UPKA

UPKA Member

not the overnight type that they reheat in microwaves on the plane....:sick:

19. Garido

Garido Member

Emirates in most major centres will use the same caterer as Singapore IIRC.

EDIT: This is a good thing as SA is actually decent.

20. rap

rap Member

My fiance and I are flying Emirates to Dubai for our honeymoon.

After years of flying Tiger/Jetstar/Virgin/Air Asia for our trips, we're pumped! Hopefully it's as good as everyone says it is. The hostesses always look great at the airport too... :D