What's your favourite airline?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by bueller, Oct 19, 2012.

1. wwwww

wwwww Member

Where are you headed? If you're going to BKK, Malaysian Airlines is cheaper (albeit via KL), you also get One World miles (you get more actually) and it'll make Jetstar's "business" feel like a premium economy cabin with bogans and awkward entertainment units.

2. redslert

redslert Member

I have flown Air Koryo before.
    Beijing to Pyongyang.

It's not that bad, the plane was old but it had the older seat designs that were wider and more leg room than modern day flights.
    It had edible food.

No complaints...

3. Kie

Kie Member

Me and the missus both love Singapore Airlines; always great service and worth the price. Their business class is amazing.

4. Raraku

Raraku Member

Not a troll but I rate Jetstar higher than SIA.

I've had the displeasure of flying these clowns at least 8 times now (mostly BNE or SYD to SIN) and hated it every single time. I'd get the shittiest seat in the plane, they would either run out of food or just say 'here's whats left chump' and that was it.

Crap airport, crap carrier and crappier service. I've had flights cancelled for 8 hours and then got told 'you can sleep in the airport'.

I've flown Jetstar to/from Japan 5 times, 1 time in Star Class, nothing to write home about and I've flown them to Hawaii - no complaints, biggest delay was 45 mins.

For me my top international are

1 - Emirates (flown at least 20 times with these guys, awesome)
    2 - QANTAS
    3 - Ethiad

Domestic (AUS)

1 - Virgin
    2 - Qantas
    3 - Jetstar
    4 - Tiger (only flown once, spent 4 hours on the tarmac in the cabin while their ticketing system shit itself)

Other good mentions for overseas airlines

Bangkok Airways
    AirAsia (suprisingly good for a budget airline)
    Southwest - USA

5. Kie

Kie Member

Guess it just comes down to personal experience. I've had most of that happen to me with JetStar but never SIA ;)

6. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

I've only flown a few times. Air NZ, Qantas, and Emirates.

Although I didn't have any real problems with any of them, Air NZ and Emirates were light years ahead of Qantas with their cabin service and manner. Infact next time I travel it'l i'll endeavour to fly Emirates.

7. Zee

Zee Member

Without wanted to sound like a Troll...

That kind of sounds like an inexperienced flyer mistake.

Pick your seat when booking - problem solved.

Jetstar was the most annoying international experience I have ever had. Being charged $5 for a can of Coke (from SIN to SYD) just because we are on an AU bound flight is just down right a slap in the face, considering all other flights out of SIN to any other destination charge about $1 for the same thing.

Anyway, I'll take SQ, thanks.

Z...

8. Raraku

Raraku Member

You could assume that, but you'd be wrong. Over 250k QF Frequent Flyer points and enough Emirates Skywards to fly return to London in business.

Seats were selected well before the flight - when I get to the airport I find out I've been relocated due to operational requirements. My preference is usually for a window and every time with SIA I've ended up in the middle. When questioned 'Sorry we're full'.

Each to their own - I go onto a Jetstar flight knowing I'll have to pay $5 for a can of coke, that's the expectation on getting a cheap airfare. When flying with SIA I'd also go in with the expectation of outstanding food, service and comfort, got none of those.

9. hectic3

hectic3 Member

Haha, I flew with them too but the other way around. I took a relatively new Tupolev-154 and it was actually quite clean. I sat right in front so had heaps of legroom and definitely vouch for the 'edible' food which comprised of one spartan hamburger which was ok and probably had more calories than the average North Korean would eat in a day

10. trickma

trickma Member

Yes they are great.

11. Eradicate'

Eradicate' Member

How do people rate Malaysia Airlines?

Looks like ill be flying them to London (A380) via KL in May

12. Matt P

Matt P Member

I've flown
    Air Pacific
    Qantas
    LAN
    Virgin
    Jetstar
    Tiger
    Singapore
    Air NZ
    US Airways
    Southwest
    British Airways
    AA

I still love Qantas, i've probably put on 300 sectors with them in the last 4-5 year and very rarely come across a surly hostie/any kind of delays/issues. I barely make gold each year (as most of my sectors are 15 SCs) and i always get 13D each and every flight on pre-flight seat allocations.

Southwest were a great surprise. Any airline that keeps cherry coke in the air is a friend of mine.

SQ were a massive disappointment. I just did SYD-SIN-LAX-NRT-SIN-SYD with them in Business class and i generally was unimpressed. First they devalued points on their FF program so it cost significantly more points to complete my holiday, but the food was average, booze was average and cabins all felt dated weather i was on an A380 or aging A340.

Virgin seems to get a good rap from all and i must admit in recent years they've improved out of sight, but i'd still much rather QF. They do keep better beer in the Lounge though.

Air Pacific the hosties just wanted to get everyone drunk haha. In a 4 hour flight i think i saw a hostie with a bottle of wine about 15 times.

LAN business class was impressive. Cheap too, $280 one way from AKL-SYD

13. Garido

Garido Member

^ thanks for the tip on LAN. It costs me 150ish to go SYD to ADE at a reasonable time with Qantas. May end up going for a holiday to NZ some day.

14. hectic3

hectic3 Member

They're pretty good. I like the service and entertainment more so than Qantas. I'm sure you'll have a great time flying with them.

As for KLIA, I haven't been there in a while as I have flown into the LCCT section via Air Asia as of late. I know it definitely has free wifi which is more than what is offered at most Australian airports.

15. Zee

Zee Member

I'll be giving Asiana and Eva Air business a test run in about 2 weeks. First time on Eva Air, and first time on OZ in business....

Z...

16. joerandom

joerandom Member

Air Asia is awesome, flown it a lot lately.
    I know it's a low cost carrier but $120 KL <-> Gold Coast each way. Fucking brilliant and then once your in Malaysia you can get anywhere for under $50.

The beer is cheaper on there too then most other budget airlines. Like Scoot who wanted $7 a piece. :(

Australian airlines suck, flew business class on a 767 Qantas to Auckland once, was no better then Economy apart from leg room and a free coke. meh.

17. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Member

Flown OZ's suites?

We are on OZ F on a 747 out of LAX early 2015 - which is looking to be switched out to a A380 in 2nd Q, so here's hoping :D

18. Talisman

Talisman Member

Malev (Hungaran Airlines)..

Total surprise. Bloody awesome.

19. vec

vec (Taking a Break)

20. Zee

Zee Member

Nope - not sure how I'll ever scam myself a Suite berth... I'd love to try SQ or OZ product, but I don't think that can be booked on miles, and I suspect I'll never be able to justify that much cash for a flight!

I've heard good things about OZ premium classes though, so looking forward to it.

Z...