What's your favourite airline?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by bueller, Oct 19, 2012.

1. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Member

I booked OZ through USDM, and trying to get the olds on SQ suites using Amex via KF.

Definitely report back on OZ, dude, I'm super super keen!

2. Zee

Zee Member

My Amex spend is nowhere near high enough *LOL* I need more of my big suppliers to take Amex with no surcharge...

Z...

3. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Member

Make your suppliers accept PayPal and pay via that!

Seriously though, with a family spend (4 adults all working full time) its easy enough to rack up the miles quickly.

3x groceries, 2x fuel, pay all taxes via amex, etc etc and the miles keep coming in.

Folks live in the UK, where CC promotions aren't anywhere near as generous as the US, unfortunately :(

4. Zee

Zee Member

OK, so, my thoughts on OZ business...

The downside - from SYD it's an older 777-200, so not th elie flat seats, however they do go to about 60 or 70 degrees, so still perfectly comfy for a good sleep. That's the only downside.

Food and service were excellent. The wine selection was good, with French and Californian whites (I tasted both, and actually found the californian to be much nicer to my taste), and a good selection of reds, cocktails and spirits as well.

They also have icewine as one of their dessert wine options - I can't remember which wineries were represented, but the Icewine was amongst the best I have had, and I am a huge fan.

The flight attendants made me feel as if they genuinely wanted to be there, and nothing was ever a problem, with everything performed with a real smile.

In terms of comparisons, I found them to be up to SQ standards, with the food on OZ on my particular flights a tad better, and miles ahead of United Business, which seems to be on a downward spiral, if that was even possible.

Anyway, Eva Air next, then OZ home from NRT in a few weeks.

Z...

5. stevenx

stevenx Member

They are good but they are having to lower their prices and service standards to compete with Air Asia, while still maintaining their position as a full service carrier.

I like them, particularly when they have their insane sales that include code share flights. Last year I flew from Adelaide to Koh Samui via Kuala Lumpur for $320 one way. The KL to Samui leg is operated by Bangkok Airways, and it's not unusual for them to want $300 for that sector alone.

They're also quite generous with luggage allowance. Economy passengers get 30kg, and 10kg extra for free (at check in, no less!) if you're carrying sporting equipment. I find that very useful as I often travel with a full set of scuba gear (minus tanks).

Their in flight service is pretty good - friendly and attentive cabin crew, reasonable food and drinks, decent in flight entertainment, comfortable seats, and a website that's easy to use.

6. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

They have a good safety record, one of the best in Asia, it seems. But as current events show, their security checks seem to be insufficient.

7. lolitsbigmic

lolitsbigmic Member

I would say that for all flights from Malaysia. Airport security was very low and malaysian attitudes toward security wasn't the best either.

It is a massive port for illegals. there was about 100 waiting at the customs when i landed.....

I am actually flying out from KL to paris in 4 weeks time on the a380 as well.

What is people experience with air asia? im trying out there premium/"buisness class" to KL given that it was the same price as an economy ticket with malaysian airlines.

My experience is most airlines are the same except when you hit buisness class. but all the american airlines a friggin awful. Not looking forward to my AA flight from paris to NY.

8. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

I'll tell you in a few months, scored syd to kl return for $380, though that's no meal and I travel very light, carry on only

9. Hetty

Hetty Member

Singapore. Thai are good too, and Qantas. I like Virgin for domestic. Won't fly Jetstar again.

Worst airline goes to China Southern. Ugh. Never again.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  10. wwwww

wwwww Member

Better do it quick, it's not going to work after June 30.

11. Zee

Zee Member

So, I get to try Etheopian in a few weeks. This should be amusing...

Z...

12. Garido

Garido Member

I wonder if they serve an in flight meal. I've never seen Ethiopian food. Come to think of it they probably haven't either.

13. jjinh

jjinh Member

I once disembarked at the same time as an Ethiopian Airlines flight - those African passengers were really pushy.

14. Nikoy

Nikoy Member

Not bad for an African carrier. Assuming you are flying from a western destination to Addis Ababa. If you are flying intra Africa prepare for the following

- Pushy passengers
    - Disregard for instructions
    - If you are flying in business try to get to your seat quickly least it be occupied by someone else with an economy ticket.
    - seatbelts that don't fit. And I am not a fat guy
    - Seats which move (move like they are not supposed to)

15. Zee

Zee Member

All good, I've flown on budget airlines in the Philippines. Sounds similar!

Luckily, though, I'm flying them from BKK to SIN. Then from SIN I fly SQ to SYD, so only a short hop, on what is probably a very, very old 767...

Z...

16. Zee

Zee Member

So, I had my Ethiopean flight. A very old 767, with old vinyl seat *yuck*. Food was "OK", though the cabin crew were super, super nice and friendly.

It was nice to hop on to an SQ A380 afterwards, though. Reminds me why I love SQ.

Z...

17. Garido

Garido Member

photos of the food? what was it?

18. Zee

Zee Member

No pics, sorry, it didn't get me as excited as seeing "Hello Kitty's" in my food on the way to tOkyo with Eva Air a few weeks back, but it was just a chicken with vegies dish. One of those ones that is not really inspiring, but is not going to be offensive either.

Dessert was a spongecake with coffee cream, also boring, but mostly safe.

Drinks were a bucketload of gin stolen from the first class cabin by the air hostess, handed over with a huge smile and and an offer of more if needed.

It was a pretty good gin!

Z...

19. archie

archie Member

My favourite keeps changing over the years, however my most consistent favourite has been Singapore airlines.

Emirates did replace SQ, and then I had a few crap flights (disgusting toilets, overcrowded Dubai airport and its toilets).

Recent flight (in March) to Frankfurt on Malaysian has made them my current favourite. The Lounge at KL is great too.

20. Gunna

Gunna Member

Air NZ have always been great so I would pick them, but only if you have the works package. If not getting food etc they seem to not want to pay attention.

Emirates would be 2nd, great food for an airline. Service was ok but I was in coach class.

Only flown long haul on Emirates and Virgin. Virgin was ok but felt like any other airline and nothing stood out to make be recommend them.

Virgin Australia for anything domestic.