What's your favourite airline?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by bueller, Oct 19, 2012.

1. R3d Baron

R3d Baron Member

Easyjet (for anything under 4 hours).
    United business for long haul (because they are cheap)

I fly a lot for business; Emirates, Malaysia, Singapore, KLM, Qantas, Lufthansa, United, AirNZ, SAS, American Airlines...and probably a few more I can't recall just now.

Its so refreshing to fly low cost carriers even when I always fly business class for work. The lack of nonsensical movies of kids running through fields of dandelions and other crap, or "Spirit of whatever..." - just turn up at the gate with a bag that fits inside this measuring frame, we'll get on the plane and get going with minimum fuss and then get the plane and out of each others lives ASAP. Fantastic. And for a fraction of the price.

Air travel ceased to be adventurous and romantic a long time ago. Its just another form of transport.

2. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

I've flown a few more airlines now, so I dug up this thread.

The airlines I have flown from best to worst: (although I haven't had a really bad experience with any airline.)

International:
    Air New Zealand
    Singapore Airlines
    Qatar
    Etihad

Domestic:
    Southwest Airlines
    Virgin Australia
    Scandinavian Airlines
    Finnair
    United
    American Airways

For international, Air New Zealand is head and shoulders above the rest, I think. Very nice planes, great food, great entertainment and I just love their awesome safety videos!

Qatar was very nice, I think I would rank them and Singapore equally. Great service - drinks were being offered all the time, even through the night.

Etihad was pretty good, but they cram an extra seat into each row on their 777s in economy. 3-4-3 instead of 3-3-3. That made it a bit cramped. Food, service and entertainment was good though.

Southwest was hands down the best domestic airline I have flown with. Best service ever. We got to the airport about 30 minutes before the flight due to a late train and slow taxi. The guy at the bag drop counter told everyone else, 'I'll be right back,' pushed us into the front of the check in counter, said, 'security is that way, run!' We got to the plane just as the last people were getting on and our bags made it too. Many other airlines would have told us we were too late (Tiger, I am looking at you!). The only downside was that you don't get assigned seats.

American Airways was pretty bad, but that is not an accurate measure as I have only done one flight with them. Got the back row on an MD-80, which means a jet engine about 6 feet from each ear and a panoramic view of said jet engines out the window.

Scandinavian and Finnair domestic were great. They are pretty much busses with wings. Cheap and non-fancy, just as short haul should be.

Virgin Australia is very good, I think. Choose a flight on an Embraer 190 if you can. Seating arrangement is 2-2 and the seats are very roomy. I like their A330s too, good entertainment and good food. I just love their veggie ravioli, which they have had on the menu for ages. Several times I have asked for a second helping!

3. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Suprised etihad would do that, i dont have much problem with AAX's 3-3-3 arrangement on their airbus 330s but its something you expect air asia to do

4. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Recently flying long-haul from Asia to Europe, using for the first time Austrian airlines. I guess this is not exactly a well known airline in Australia, but highly, highly recommended. In business they offer 1-seat configuration, the food is outstanding, they have a real chef on board, and the biggest screen for the entertainment system I have seen for any airline :eek:

On the other hand, the worst experience lately was with Air China flying from Tokyo to Beijing. Horrible food, old plane, outdated movies, bad overall service, flight attended with pimples and hairy armpits, and zero hospitality at the airport in Beijing despite a cancelled connection flight.

5. Gunna

Gunna Member

I am yet to hear a good experience from any Western person on Air China to be honest

6. archie

archie Member

Don't think Austrian comes to AU anymore :confused:
    I did fly Sydey to Vienna in 2004 with them (with a fuel stop in KL from memory)

Air China... grr flew once (in 2011) and that was once too much... never again!
    Flight out of SYD was 3-4hrs late, missed connection to Munich in Beijing, forced halt of ~36 hours!!! they put us in half finished hotels and compulsory sharing of rooms for accommodation! luckily i was travelling with a friend

7. Gunna

Gunna Member

Yeah i'd be blowing up about that. Each itinerary should be treated separately when it comes to rooms, be damned if i'm sharing with a random

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think you would have legitimate grounds to refuse to share based on concerns of personal and possessions safety. That's just BS quite frankly.

9. archie

archie Member

barely anyone spoke a word of english, no one to blow up at :p

by the time we landed in Beijing it was pretty much only the cleaner there and 2 people at the baggage services counter..

10. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

3 weeks ago on way from Tokyo to Vienna, via Beijing. Due to storm the Air China plane was diverted to a some small airport. We landed. Nothing happened, after 1 hour or so, the passengers were offered to stay over night, or wait in the plane for a possible continuation of the flight to Beijing. An old China hand sitting beside me told don't leave the plane, they do not offer accommodation, you will have to sleep at the floor in this shithole of airport. After 2 more hours the plane took off again. Arrival in Bejing 2 am. In Bejing all connections flight were gone. No accommodation offered, Air China counter opened at 5 am, with 2 "friendly" barley English speaking staff. Meanwhile several hundred people were lining up to get a their connections flights re-booked. Fist fights among the Chinese customers broke out. They still don't know how to line.

NEVER EVER again Air China, and I will avoid any stopover in China.

11. Skramit

Skramit Member

LOL poor bastard. Good story though!

12. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Lol, so not anything like this then? :D

13. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Not even remotely. They were quite young, that's the best I can say.

14. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Digging up this thread again. What do people think about China Southern? They have some really good deals on at the moment.

15. timsarg

timsarg Member

china southern is a typical chinese airline . You have to ask for everything , drinks are served at room temp so if that's a shock don't expect a cold coke . They will give you a cup and not the can . Cabin temps are very warm . From all my flights to shenyang from perth well if i could fly another airline for the same time in the air i would but i only have a 90 min stopover in guangzhou so it works .

would i rate china southern as a great carrier no , but i have good flights to shenyang so i make do .

Also 3-4-3 in economy on the dreamline is a bitch for tall people

16. Zee

Zee Member

I flew Air China in 1st (miles perk), and it was.. Well, it was a nice seat on a very new plane :)

Flew 1st as part of the same trip with Thai, and despite the dated 747, it was an excellent experience. Literally champagne and Caviar from the get go, food was good, and excellent service.

Done a few business flights, and Asiana and Singapore are both quite nice, United was... A nice seat... Eva Air was cool, as I was on the Hello Kitty plane, and everything was very hello kitty. I'd had quite big night in Taipei (no sleep), and did not realise until I got served my Asian meal - and was bemused at the fact that some of the food looked like Hello Kitty. Then I noticed my pillow, then the rest of the business cabin.. And upon exiting the plane - the plane itself. I regret not nicking off a pillow now...

I'll also chalk up a plus for Air China, as it was the only time I have ever been in a plane struck by lightning - quite interesting, a bright flash and a very dull thud, and that was that, most people did not even notice.

Though, in regular economy, which is the cabin I actually pay for, I'll pick Singapore and Asiana, and hopefully will experience ANA shortly...

Have not tried China Southern...

Z...

17. archie

archie Member

Been travelling the last 2wks, nearing the end now.
    Munich, Jakarta, Colombo, Singapore.

Singapore airlines all the way, got to fly in the new a350 as well.

Also tried premium economy from Sydney to Munich, slept so well on the long 12hr leg! Will definitely go P.E again as business is too much extra, being self employed and all :p

Should be Gold on krisflyer by the time I get home :D

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  18. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Premium economy seems the way to go now. I anyway don not need the slightly better food and beverages in business. I hope you had a nice stay in Munich. Oktoberfest maybe?

19. archie

archie Member

Unfortunately this time I didn't spend any time in Munich, I go nearly every year so have seen most things there.

Was on a train straight to Passau, however did see heaps of people heading to the beer halls in their authentic Bavarian outfits.

Weather was also perfect with mid 20s and bright sunshine.

20. Diode

Diode Member

For International I've always enjoyed Air NZ. Good food for an economy flight and good service. That's comparing it and thinking back to economy flights I've had with with Virgin, Qantas, Etihad, Vietnam, Cathay, Air Berlin.

For Domestic I like Virgin. Good value on the points required to get a business class flight and also decent for just regular economy. I like their style too.
    Qantas cabins by comparison feel a bit drab and boring, I don't feel they offer anything substantially more to warrant the extra price. By all means happy with Qantas if price is equal or cheaper than a Virgin flight.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016