1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

What's your preference for amplifier sonic characteristics?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by deluxe, Mar 6, 2018.

?

What's your preference?

1. Neutral- the flattest, most transparent response possible- amplifiers should not have a 'sound'

2. Biased- warm, dynamic, (insert adjective); I enjoy amplifiers when textured / flavoured /coloured

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. deluxe

deluxe Member

I'm curious OCAU- indulge me...

2. Hater

Hater Member

Tough one, isn't it, as the ultimate amplifier is going to amplify only and not distort the signal whatsoever... so flat but... I want the biggest dynamic range possible obviously, cheap amps lack depth if that makes sense

Then you get down to your source too, if the source was recorded a bit flat...

Hmm.

3. sebbyreddan

sebbyreddan Member

Transparent/Accurate....with a tonne of headroom, so you have the ability to use the massive dynamic range of modern sources.

4. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

The question should also be at what price point, Your standard "crapie" AVR falls far short of the equation. Really Class D, is also out of the question. Very few Class D designs, would qualify, With possibly Jeff Roland or Mola Mola being the exception
    For very low distortion the only thing worthy of consideration would be "Class A''
    This can then be broken down to Integrated or Monoblock, SS or Tube.

Makes and models, that come to mind would be Gryphon Mephisto, who quote negative feedback with point 0001% distortion. Others would be VTL [tubed], Dan D'Agostino, etc,etc. In the end it all comes down to what your prepaired to spend. Of cause your not about to invest 100k on amplification, when your only running run-of-the-mill Speakers. If on the other hand your running Wilson, Magico, etc, you would already be considering Hi-end Amplification.

5. Hater

Hater Member

Comes down to speakers anyway, as then you know what load you're driving.

Personally I prefer a simple signal path, things I can DIY and tinker with, I have a Leak Stereo 20 currently.

6. pezzy

pezzy Member

the ones that are so pretty that they make me believe they are sonically superior.

7. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Speaker sound quality comes down to the amplification and the source.
    I've heard some very high quality speakers sound terrible simply because the amplification was very sub-standard. In most cases the higher / bigger the wattage output, the better the speaker will sound.

8. Hater

Hater Member

I meant when you're creating a system, start with the speakers so you know what amps to go and look at.

Assuming you're not building a dedicated listening room or something...

9. chook

chook Member

So my head just exploded looking at the price of the brands tossed around in here. I am at a stage in my life where I felt that I have worked hard and deserve to splash out on a good stereo amp and good stereo speakers (no interest in surround as I want to listen to music). Given that I go to a lot of concerts each year and have probably damaged my hearing considerably I thought that spending say $3000 - $4000 on something would get me reasonable quality without buying boasting rights.Now I think my budget is completely unrealistic and I should just put up with the shit I have ntil I can afford to throw away $20000 or more.

10. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Have a look at 2nd hand gear and/or designs for speaker towers you can cut and assemble yourself - good drivers and crossovers are a lot better value DIY.

11. sebbyreddan

sebbyreddan Member

You can still get quality gear within your budget. As fredhoon said keep an eye out for second hand gear, and try to choose components that allow for an upgrade path (i.e Processor/amp with pre-outs, starting with a quality 2 channel setup.)

Also there is a point where you will get the best improvement in sound not by buying a new amp or better speakers, but but fixing up you room acoustics.

12. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Used, Demo gear is the way to go, The deprecation values of new gear is horrific, when you compare new vs old.

Sites to keep an eye on would be AA Mart, http://www.aussieaudiomart.com/

Examples,, Martin Logan Vista speakers new price 6500 sale price 2700
    Emotive XPA2-USP1-XDA1 new 4k used 2k

Another site would be AudiogoN HTTPS://www.audiogon.com/ Sign up for there new listings. E-mail sent weekly, Only problem is most of the USA listing won't freight, But there are listings for the UK and Au. Also check voltage requirements.

Avoid sites like Gray's on Line. Added costs and end of auction dates are a big problem,

13. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Your correct of cause, some of the pricing is horrendous, But there still in business , so someone somewhere is buying there stuff, 5k for as jug lead is considered normal.

Check out the members Gallery, on one of the biggest audio sites out there,
    Site address http://www.whatsbestforum.com/
    Members gallery, http://www.whatsbestforum.com/forumdisplay.php?247-Members-Gallery

14. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Your original budget is certsinly enough if spent wisely

15. srey

srey Member

I feel like anyone who considers that remotely close to "normal", has a pretty skewed idea of normality.

Seems like you'd struggle to go broke betting on the appetite of 'audiophiles' to buy overpriced placebos.

Kurt likes this.
  16. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Trust me, People do pay those sorts of prices and sometimes considerably more, Here's a recent listed example, Note the new price,,

17. nico6

nico6 Member

Pranawire, or PiranhaWire? :lol:

18. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

People are stupid, case closed.

19. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

How so, ?

Some people like nice things and can afford to indulge themselves. Frankly if you can afford something buy it, You can't take it with you. Not everyone buys [insert junk here] in Hardly Normal or JB.

Regardless of what you have be it a nice home, a few cars in the garage, Rolex watches, etc. High-end Hi Fi is no different, Really the only people that criticize extravagant spending, are those who have nothing of substance. And it's far easier to save face and say something's pointless.

20. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Piranha Vagina power cord for $8k, now with extra marketing jargon!