Wheely great case!!! check it out

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by toasti0, Mar 21, 2010.

1. toasti0

toasti0 Member

Check out my custom modded case. This is my first case mod ever and after having a black box with fans in it for so many years I decided to try something different mix it up and I figured the coolest way to make a pc stand out is to put it inside of a 18'' Alloy wheel. This isn't an entirely original idea they have made small nvidia inside a wheel and i've seen a couple of other custom wheels but non as cool as this one.

Specs are i7 920 @ 4.0 ghz+ (1.231v D0 stepping) , 6 gig 1600 mhz xmp memory 1 x 360mm and 1 x 120mm radiator 4 120mm smart fans. GTX 480 + koolance water block. Raid 0 2 x Samsung f3 spinpoints. It also now has white phat boy tubing from dd

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. tgluak

tgluak Member

Thats cool, I like it
    Edit: Should of put the res in the centre

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    toasti0

toasti0 Member

Updates

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. brayway

brayway Member

WOW that's awesome!

5. OP
    OP
    toasti0

toasti0 Member

6. brayway

brayway Member

Looks fantastic! how long did it take you to do?

7. Sneaky Beaver

Sneaky Beaver (Banned or Deleted)

Very nice, These types of mods are always really interesting to see... kinda makes me sad i got an obsidian as I've been looking into these kinds of mods.

And if you ever got sick of it you could just roll it down a hill :D

8. Little Man

Little Man Member

Just make sure it doesn't...roll away :lol:

Looks insane man! love the rim to :D

9. OP
    OP
    toasti0

toasti0 Member

I planed for a while and had to wait for the parts. It took 2 weeks to build the main part of it than another couple of weeks to get it upto the stage it is now mostly just working on it on weekends. Best part about the case is the wheel is a good size of the build so the rest is just cosmetic and tinkering. Havn't had a downside yet except the size is huge lol its not highly portable at the moment till i build a good base and handle. The best part about it is cooling is phenomenal there is no obstruction for air flow

10. OP
    OP
    toasti0

toasti0 Member

Its a holden/ford Alloy I have seen quiet a few v8's driving around with them attached. Funny enough its hard to get 1 alloy wheel to buy, everyone wants to sell you a whole set lol.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  11. Little Man

Little Man Member

all the more reason to build another 3 :D

12. OP
    OP
    toasti0

toasti0 Member

Lol It's a good case to build it takes a bit of added shelving but I would build another for a friend or if someone wanted one. This is the version 1 at the moment it would be easier to improve the looks on later builds.

13. OP
    OP
    toasti0

toasti0 Member

That was my original idea but it didn't fit and made it to tight around the board as well. This way worked out much better for cooling as it's now a fan that sucks air directly were i want it on the board.

14. OP
    OP
    toasti0

toasti0 Member

You probably get this a lot little man but whats the go with your sig?

15. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

that is awesome, very imaginative.

you know what would be cool, if the wheel had a brand new rubber on it, just for the hell of it. and it would be great in the wet, incase your water cooling leaks. :)

16. MikeCheck

MikeCheck Member

very very imaginative and well done.

Can we get a few more pics of how it all goes together? I'm very, very interested! Got a mate really into cars so I might end up doing something like this for his birthday or something.

M.

17. OsiC

OsiC Member

looks stunning, would be great to see a mini work log of how you got everything to fit and stick in there.

18. OP
    OP
    toasti0

toasti0 Member

I unfortunately didn't take photos of this build in process as it was my first build and was just excited to put it together. It took about 4 weekends worth to get to were it is now.

Note:- Buy a decent size rim this one is 18'' but also note the depth of the rim as it will be very important when filling up the system you could get away with 17'' but I wouldn't recommend anything smaller plus it just looks like a datsun wheel if its under 17''. If you have a huge ass air cooler this will affect the depth.

Note:- When buying the rim make sure you have enough room to get your hands inside when needed, this will help with tinkering phase don't buy a completely closed rim otherwise you will be very frustrated(especially with water cooling pipes).

note:- location of board is usually based on where your gfx cards will fit so leave enough room for your gfx cards and dvi cables to protrude from the board.

note:- rims are metal avoid any cables being able to liven it up easily usually back board/motherboard mount is wood/plastic for best results. Can mount a metal motherboard plate off existing square box if its easier or if you have access to one.

First i bought the back board from bunnings and placed the wheel on the board traced out the shape and than cut out the shape. Than i put the motherboard on the board in the center and rotated it so it looked like a diamond than traced out were the motherboard would sit and also circled holes were the board fixes(note gfx cards are huge and need lots of space). I mounted the normal motherboard holders to the board and also used a couple of short screws later on which were directly screwed into the board(through the normal holes into the back board). Only do this for wood back boards.
    Also Before mounting the board you should spray it whatever colour you want and maybe clear coat it to make it look nice.

I carved out the writing and used hole saws to cut the cable/water tube holes this takes a bit of planning depending on were your power supply goes(can buy cable extenders later anyway). I didn't want any cables cluttering up inside of the rim so the psu is mounted on the back.

I designed the spacing for the 2 shelves that hold the water radiators and than I cut holes in the shelves so the air could flow freely through the shelving and than sprayed with the same colour as the board. There just basic shelves 140mm x 140mm wide with 120mm holes for air flow and 2 triangle pieces on either side to hold against the back board. I used liquid nails to hold them on its a bit messy you may be able to find other ways to do it. Screws splinter it and nails will be to long and may protrude through.

Mounting the board to the actually rim is tough I suggest drilling holes through the rim at a downward angle and than through the board and using a screw and lock nut to secure the board to the rim probably in a circular fashion so with at least 5 screw and lock nuts around the outer side of the board and rim (don't make them to close to the outside of the board as they may break the board when tightened). You may find other ways to secure the board to the rim.

A bottom board is required to hold the psu,hdds and will need to be attached to the rim(If you don't have water radiators you could use the shelves to mount hdds and psu therefore not needing a bottom board. Also a handle is required secured on top in order to move the computer easily I haven't done this part yet and will have to design a system for it. I'd imagine the handle would be attached via screws after drilling 2 holes in the top of the rim.

once all your boards and mounts are ready and sprayed with colour, you can now attach your motherboard, situate your psu hdds and cooling systems and than start tinkering with your cables and tubes.

Tinkering phase takes the longest and getting everything into position, if you have a good idea of where its all going before you build your shelves this may help when putting it together later on.

19. OP
    OP
    toasti0

toasti0 Member

Problems that will occur.

GFX- Your graphics cards will sag if you note in the video or photo there is a green glowing tube that holds the graphics card up-write this is attached with a basic double sided sticky tab the weight of the card and the angle allows it to stay up write which is why the board is on a diamond shape angle. . I recommend building one out of wood or metal shaping it to the right length and than creating a more solid screw or lock nut system for more stability.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  20. OP
    OP
    toasti0

toasti0 Member

Got my switches for my lighting this week so will have to install them on the build over the weekend! There Silver toggle switches that will change the lighting inside the case!