When is a CE mark, not a CE mark?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by 2xCPU, Dec 11, 2010.

1. 2xCPU

2xCPU Member

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

sneaky.. esp when you rely on the CE mark on devices

3. paulvk

paulvk Member

I pay no attention to the markings on items as its easy to put one on and lets face it every country has their own one. I have seen many examples of things with standards marks that I would not give one to myself one in particular was a power supply in a husky sewing machine where all that the power switch relied on to hold it in place was the solder this of course came loose (dry joints) then arcing took place, burns board, smoke, noise and stufs up computer in machine now we are talking $8000 machine here, big manufacturer so what hope is there!

4. Gecko

Gecko Member

A big issue I see with any compliance is that a "golden sample" is tested, which has no reflection on the actual production... all sorts of dodgy things out there because of that.

5. OP
    OP
    2xCPU

2xCPU Member

paulvk & Gecko,I think you are both missing the point here.
    This is not about a 'golden sample' or device that 'has passed, but shouldn't have'.
    This is about miss-representing items that should not and can not pass any compliance tests.

6. Hive

Hive Member

It's china... what do you expect? they cut corners left/right/center in quality. 2xCPU is right.

7. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

How so, the application of a dodgy logo doesn't mean it should not or cannot pass. Until it is tested it may or may not pass the test.

8. Gecko

Gecko Member

Yes, of course - I was making a different, but related point (I deal with compliance matters nearly every day, gets a bit painful after a while)

9. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

There's a pretty good reason they're putting dodgy marks that look a lot like the real thing on certain products. I'm sure if it could pass they wouldn't bother with this fake junk.

10. paulvk

paulvk Member

The thing I was pointing out is that without one single standard there is really no point in having one, with a world wide economy one single standard needs to be in place not every country doing its own thing.

11. merlin13

merlin13 Member

What do you think CE and ATEX and and and and and all the other internationally recognised Compliance Certifications are trying to fulfill in the first place here, 'paul? :)

12. Hive

Hive Member

Well done sir :thumbdn:

13. paulvk

paulvk Member

Well thats 2 then there is the USA, Australia, all have to go through seperate tests, agree on one standard one set of tests one mark but I know thats not going to happen just be nice if it did.

As for "internationally recognised Compliance Certifications " some one should tell Europe and the USA I get it all the time if its going to the USA its got to have their certification same with Europe they will not accept each others.

14. OP
    OP
    2xCPU

2xCPU Member

True, but if your a high volume manufacturer, the cost of getting something tested is trivial (may be relevant to Geckos point too) .

Don't entirely agree.
    There are plenty of parameters that are only relevant in particular markets / geographic areas. Requiring something made in (say) Aus that is to be used in Aus to comply with requirements only relevant to US and others only relevant the EU is perhaps less than ideal.
    There are probably plenty of examples where compliance to one set of regs makes it unsuitable for use elsewhere.

Edit:
    Aus and NZ have an agreement that recognise each others standards, but that's between very similar markets.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  15. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

Ha! There's one of those on a knockoff phone I bought in China. At the time I bought it, I had a little chuckle over the CE mark but I guess it is correct.

16. paulvk

paulvk Member

There is no reason why the standard can not include things from diffrent areas just has sub parts. Just picked up off the floor a HP power supply its got 10 diffrent standards marks just getting the documentation to read about them would cost $1000s let alone paying to get the certification. I could be wrong but I feel its more about making money out the mark than having a standard.

17. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Thought you'd like that... :)

18. OP
    OP
    2xCPU

2xCPU Member

More than a bit of truth in that I think.

19. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Not really at all simple for say a USA manufacturer.
    My experience was that only a business registered in Australia can get a C-Tick number. The manufacturer in our case at least couldn't get an export permit without showing compliance with regulations in the country he was exporting to so he puts our C-Tick number on his product. Fair enough, he made us his Australian agent.
    At the time there was no relevant Australian standard so we could easily say his product complied. Now other companies start importing the same product with our C-Tick number on it. Not too certain where we stand if something goes wrong, its our number so we're the ones they come after but hey, we didn't import or sell the product.

We were going to import and sell a product that did have to comply. Already had CE certification and the main electronic component in it was UL listed. Test and certification lab told us the CE tests were worhtless, the UL certification was valuable. We kind of gave up and took the Clayton's approach. It was professional not consumer gear and we sell it without a 3 pin plug on it. Not that there's anything dodgy about it just that the costs of testing kind of take the edge off selling very low volume expensive gear with bugger all markup. You have to do that or everyone just buys the cheap gear off eBay.

Pretty certain I've said all of this before :confused:

To me a lot of this smells of backdoor tarrif protection, especially by the EU with their CE mark. I agree with whoever said we need global standards and that goes beyond the test standards. No point having a global standard if we don't have global standards for certification of the testing facilities. Unfortunately that'd take a body like the UN to get sorted.

20. paulvk

paulvk Member

The UN has tried and failed only one thats come close is MIL (military specification).