When is consumer 10GbE going to happen?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Smokin Whale, Sep 21, 2014.

1. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Standards are interesting.

10G BASE-T should support 100m over cat6a/cat7 yet this says up to 30m on cat6a/cat7

I'd guess they have lowered the power to fit it into the power budget of the sfp+ port

2. Hive

Hive Member

Exactly that i'm sure of, SFP+ doesn't have much power to offer and 10GBASE-T chews it.

3. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Could be a typo (10G is 30m over cat6) but I'm betting its power envelope too.
    Very interesting. Wonder what the retail $ is?

4. Jazper

Jazper Member

A quick look on ebay is showing me it's circa $650 per module, but I'd bet that's only initial pricing and it'll go down soon

5. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

:shock:
    So much for "cheap" 10GSFP to RJ45 conversion. Cheaper to buy a new Intel Pro10 card than outfit an old one with these.
    Its even questionable economics for switching crossgrades.

It'll need to go down a helluva lot to make any kind of sense.

6. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

begs where is the cost in a 10G port on a switch/NIC ?

the physical interface (so the SFP? optics/lasers/copper drivers etc.)
    or
    the MAC interface? the 10Gbps 'pipe' to the SFP.

i.e. is making a cheaper SFP going to actually be cheaper overall or are you simply saving $20 on a SFP but the switch port still costs you $100/port.

Or is a switch port 'cheap' and the SFP's the real $.

$ figures made up. but say

10G SFP = $100
    5G SFP = $80
    2.5G SFP = $50

Great money to be saved, but it appears 10G SFP ports (the switch) are ~ $100/port

so it'll still cost you 75%-90% ($150-$180) the current cost to use a port.

or (another option) manufacturers are they going to make 5G or 2.5G switches? sounds wasteful/inefficient/expensive.

8. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Keen on seeing some more info about this one. I wouldn't expect anyone to ship an NBASE-T switch that doesn't do 10G.

9. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Totally unlike this one from August? :Paranoid:

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

and what is the point? per port cost is ~same as a 12-port 10GE switch.

using 5 seconds of google-fu to Amazon, both NetGear devices. no checking for best prices etc.

$1100US $110/port 8x2.5G + 2x10G ports
    https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-8x2-5G-Aggregation-Deployment-GSM4210P/dp/B01CU4DFQO

$1460US $121/port 12x10G ports
    https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-12-Port-10GBase-T-XS712T-100NES/dp/B00BWBLL6S

or for what we actually care about: bandwidth.
    40G $27/G
    vs
    120G $12/G!

it's a white elephant technology - hope it dies quickly.

the only point I can see for the 8x2.5G ports on the first switch, is for the use case they specify is running 8 AP's from it, using the POE. Great, but that's not a consumer use case (point of this thread). And everyone hear says they can fill 10GE, so wouldn't want 2.5G at all.

or how about this one, 16x10G ports, $1300US
    $81/port or $8/G
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ELW0QY2

11. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

That's pretty much what I said in later discussion. An interesting product but far too niche & expensive.

I think that at the right price-point when compared to 10G it could be a persuasive argument. I wonder how much the POE adds to the base cost of the switch.

12. Luke212

Luke212 Member

13. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

is it?

the fact that 2.5 and 5 over copper has come to market is indicative in of itself.

802.11ac wave 2 has pushed the needs of 2.5 and 5 copper switching.

802.11ad & ax will push the need to beyond 5gbps back hauls, people aren't going to pay to put MMF in their houses, maybe in this backwater over legislated data cabling hell but globally people pull their own cable.

considering there is so much CAT6 that has and will continue to be put in shows the path to copper 10g is near guaranteed.

as to component breakdown and silicon costs, it would be great for someone like ltd73 to weigh in.
    Code:
    Last Activity: 4th April 2013 2:33 PM

14. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Getting more than 1Gbit/sec in the air, combined, from a wave 2 AP is something that we're only seeing today under *exceptional* circumstances - but that's today - and we'll see a lot more of that over the next year - especially given that MU-MIMO will quadruple the client count on a given AP.

The biggest benefit for us is building uplinks to building distribution - otherwise, we'd have to re-run cable. Plus, once our site surveys are solid for 802.11ac APs, the wave2 upgrade will hopefully be a simple swap, which represents a huge cost saving.

15. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Because I've got to pay someone for cable pulling and terminations anyway, It's almost cost effective for me to wire my house with Fibre now... Stupid Australia... Oh Noes, an ethernet cable in the roof will kill someone, but that same cable, stabled to the inside of the roof... that's fine.

/Sadface

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

beta
    hd-dvd
    memory stick

Lots of white elephants make the market. doesn't mean they're the right solution.

and with it being more expensive than 10G copper is now, there's zero point.

if it came out and wow. I can buy a 8-port 1G switch for $80 or this 5G switch for $100 yeah it could be a go-er.

But not it's $1400 for a 8 port 2.5G switch. and same for a 8-port 10G. it's madness.

17. Hive

Hive Member

It's a conspiracy to keep the silent majority of poor nerdy LAN party goers from ever leaching too much copyrighted content from 1000tb+ networks by pricing them out of reach, forcing them to Gb nics.

18. cvidler

cvidler Member

if you've got that much space, you can shell out for 100GE gear.

I remember LANs. only place I was good at quake, crummy internet connection killed my skill.

19. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

With WiGig (802.11ad) having now launched a certification program, and peaking at 6756.75 mb/s with 64-QAM. POE access points wont be using MMF so 10G is a goer.

20. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

I'm pretty sure Luke212 just needs to arrange the backchannel with his relative in the UK, then we'll have it here.