When is consumer 10GbE going to happen?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Smokin Whale, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Lemme fix that for you: "I wish business grade gear dropped in price as fast as it did in the old days".

There wasn't consumer demand (nor physical capability!) for GbE when they started turning up integrated on consumer motherboards either. That was so long ago that 99.999% of those boards have all blown their caps and been resigned to the junkpile. The rest are deemed so unutterably slow & useless (single core cpu anyone ROFL?), they've been tossed anyway.

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

That has very little to do with it.

Fact is most people can barely push GbE speeds across mixed data (sure anyone can push 108-110MB/sec for Channel BT between devices for storage - copy your windows folder and tell me), people have very little need to do so as well (Full blown 1080p BD is what? 48Mbit? 4K UHD BR is 108Mbit...) - so there is an ocean of headroom there.

Sure SSD's are making some reason to want data that fast - but largely its useless.

And this is speaking as someone who has a 20TB NAS.

As an aside, I'm seeing far more people interested in pushing GbE speeds over wireless (AC) than they are pushing 10G over wired connections.

3. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I think that was my entire point, you've got it 180* backwards :lol:

GbE kit (hell, FE kit at one stage) started out as enterprise kit with pricing to match. Without any real consumer demand and minimal actual capacity to utilise it (remember, we're still using PATA drives), the pricing dropped so staggeringly far in a decade that mobo manufacturers were literally giving them away with boards.

10G IMO is in the same consumer boat, except that the years have passed and the pricing still hasn't fallen anything like the previous generations.

ROFL, cant do 1G over copper, still want to do it over AC-WiFi.

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

Except they can beat the 150-300mbit that 802.11n will do. And it can impact on streaming and various other 'normal people' tasks.

5. bcann

bcann Member

I have wireless AC Kit via ubuqitui AC Pro, shit it rarely reaches 30MB/sec even with decent wireless cards.

I mostly want 10Gbit LAN for moving content around and backups of my server at a decent speed. is it necessary for a majority of the time no, but does it make life a lot easier when i do backup, shit yes.

Personally i'd be happy with an 8 port Base T 10Gbit switch for under $1000. That to me would be the nice break even point for me and the tax man :)

Oh and one that isn't that netgear one, as it is noisy as crap and is in a house.

6. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I personally am holding out for a cheap 4 port 10GBe + 16port gigabit. Few ports for the workstations that need speed and a central server, and the rest can go on standard gigabit. Can daisy chain two if needed in the future too.

7. Renza

Renza Member

I seem to be able to get 500mbps day and night on my wireless setup. Netgear R7000 running Merlin (x-wrt) and a 2012 retina macbook pro with an AC card from a 2015 model. Around 65MB/sec. It does peak higher, around 90MB/s

[​IMG]

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

That is absolutely your kit - because getting 60MB/sec out of my N gear is pretty typical.

Bolded and underlined as to why commercial realities haven't shown up yet.

:p

This exists.

This might not. And they aren't that loud ;P

9. Renza

Renza Member

did you mean AC? 3x3 MIMO 40MHz gives 600mbps at the link layer, so there's no way you could get 60MB/s on N.

10. NSanity

NSanity Member

potentially.

maybe.

I forget.

30MB sounds low though

11. Copie

Copie Member

On single stream on a AC-3200 I can comfortably get 100Mb/s

12. bcann

bcann Member

100Mb < 30MB/sec

13. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

[​IMG]

This thing is TINY!
    The pictures should give it away but I wasn't expecting it to be so small.
    12v 1.5a power brick and damn sexy metal case - that I'm pretty sure is acting as the heat spreader in order to run fanless.
    It gets quite warm (~20°Δ) under sustained 10G load.

I can't quite squeeze 10G out of it, but that's probably more to do with my kit than the switch. Due to a naff 540T, I'm limited to testing with a dual-port until the replacement card arrives. iperf happily shoves 9500-9700mbps across it with three threads or more but I'm also maxing out a single core (iperf runs multiple connections but isn't multi-threaded).

I haven't opened mine up, but apparently its running Marvell’s 88E6190X and 88X3220 PHY transceivers inside.

4+8 would be a more useful configuration (Marvell make a 4x version of the 10G PHY), but this is a big step in the right direction. :thumbup:

Even the front panel indicator LEDs are not stupidly bright. Still too bright IMHO, but far less stupid than they could be.

14. Pugs

Pugs Member

waiting on 2.5 and 5 GbE to roll out i am probably just holding my breath for a pipe dream... these seem a bit more "reasonable" for home / Soho users to see an improvement over 1GbE

and the above switch still only has two ports....

15. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Asus are doing a card that's now 10/100/1000/2500/5000/10000 based on the Tehuti TN9510.
    ROG 10g Express

ROG AREION 10G Express (Aussie seller!)

Frankly, they need to cull the price by 50-70% to make them an attractive proposition. The problem with N-base is its 25/50% of the bandwidth for 95% of the price. Its only going feature is backwards compatibility with older cabling standards.

Just barely enough for my needs, although a third port would sell me on putting a switch at each end of my network and having 10G to the media box.

Guys around here drop $1-2000 on a graphics card that's 3-6% faster than the old one. A $350 switch should (when the new NIC turns up :sick:) boost my network performance by 300-500%. :thumbup:

16. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I'm really just holding out for a switch that is 4x10GBe + 16/24x 1GBe for the $500-$700 mark. Have CAT6a so would like to use that with RJ45 plugs. It'll come.

17. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

The Netgear S3300-28X comes really close. Just mixes 2+2 RJ45/SFP+

So, it turns out the secret to maxing out 10G infra is to use a really big CPU with lots of direct-attach PCIe lanes and lots of cores to match. It's also essential to you run multiple iperf server threads to avoid maxing any one core (and thus limiting throughput). Didn't even have to bother with a Server OS or jumbo packets for this synthetic testing.

[​IMG]

Both ports, maxed out in full duplex with multiple threads of iperf. This little Asus switch isn't half bad.

18. NSanity

NSanity Member

alternative get something with RDMA...

19. bcann

bcann Member

I didn't consider that a bad price personally. now to just get the switching gear to mate it up with.

20. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

wrong, the secret is to understand the entire network stack as we know it is fucked beyond belief and has been for years.

http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/netmap/

FreeBSD has had netmap since 2011, FreeBSD seems to attract so much creative development it's insane.

research and education: http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/papers/20110815-sigcomm-poster.pdf

10gb/s line rate throughput at a single core speed of 1.2Ghz.