When is consumer 10GbE going to happen?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Smokin Whale, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

That's an excellent price for an NBASE-T NIC! I really want to get behind this but the power required to run the NBASE-T switch full time is a full 100W+ over the current one I run.

2. Copie

Copie Member

Not really, you used to be able to get x540's for under 200 on grays.

3. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Except the X540s don't do 2.5G/5G nor do they come with warranty.

4. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

5. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

But they do do 10g really well.
    I'm having 2003 flashbacks of first generation attansic/realtek/Not-Intel "gigabit" nics that would tell you you had a 1Gpbs connection but either fell well short of actually delivering 1Gbps of real throughout or needed far more CPU that you could actually fit inside a chassis at the time.

6. cvidler

cvidler Member

even early on had trouble getting the Intels to line rate, required many hours too and fro with Intel driver engineers.

7. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Happily I missed that. :thumbup:
    As long as you had the I/O & system bandwidth (oh the joy of PCI buses), the cards (pretty sure I started with Pro1000MT's) were happy to shove near line rate.
    Good times :p

8. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

I'll pay that!

That said, I never did too much work with non-Intel NICs with 10G until more recent times (currently playing with a few Mellanox 40G cards in my lab environment).

I suppose the topic of this thread has been addressed; consumer 10GbE is here, at least for the NICs (marketed at gamers).

Wonder how many X299 boards will ship with integrated 10GbE/NBASE-T?

9. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

That's going to be really interesting - with $2000USD CPU's, who will even pause over a $600USD motherboard with 10G LAN built in?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11461...new-highend-desktop-platform-and-x299-chipset

& dammit, my cheap Chinese x540 has gone awol in the post, so still waiting on another from a different source to really give the Asus XG-U2008 a flogging :sick:

That would be hilarious if it wasn't so stupid. Client-side, is there a single game anywhere that uses more than a couple of megabits once the 50GB content download is complete?

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  10. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Its always hard which comes first, the ability to do something or the idea of wanting to do something but limited by the currect tech.

I think the thing that might do it is cloud gaming etc even if its in the same or more the idea of cloud LAN, the idea of setting up a chunky server and playing high end games on thin clients and the gpu/cpu taks are done on the aerver shared, wether or not this is suitable for all games who knows input lag extreme but its been suggested

11. cvidler

cvidler Member

Yes the marketing is stupid (isn't it always). But it's very narrow minded to assume all anyone will do with a PC is game.

There's plenty of good uses for more/bigger/faster <insert spec here>, just because the "no one will need more than 640k" crowd can't think of anything doesn't mean it's worthless. The world has gotten far to consumer minded, forgetting someone somewhere has to create the content they consume.

12. xlot

xlot Member

TP-Link T1700G-28TQ looks like a pretty good option.. its Layer 2

24 port 1Gbe and 4 SFP+ 10G ports for around $400, plus only uses 22W power and is fanless (the Dell layer 3 switch I had for a bit consumed 90W and was noisy-as.. sold to a member here).

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wired/Gigabit-Switches/64719-T1700G-28TQ

I'm in the process of buying up bits to move my server out of a cupboard and into a rack in the garage, and will replace my 9 year old 16-port GBe switch in the process.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  13. xlot

xlot Member

Ok, more digging has turned up this..

Layer 3, 24 port 1Gbe and 2x 10G sfp+ ports, fanless, even lower power consumption.

Microtik - CRS226-24G-2S+RM (rackmount) $460 @ Kogan
    Microtik - CRS226-24G-2S+IM (desktop) $405 @budgetpc

Apparently can also be powered by PoE.

14. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

The only downside is all the 10G is SFP+, so existing Cat6(a) copper infrastructure doesn't work so good with it.

15. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

16. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

As somebody else has pointed out, no good with existing cat5e/6 copper cable, it requires fibre GBICs... which are also $80 each for this model, so add another $320 to the price for that, plus you need fibre for all the targets too.

17. Opticon

Opticon Member

I'm looking at doing an upgrade for my homelab this FY. Has anyone had any got the ubiquity es-16-xg and know if the DAC compatibility issues have been solved?

Trying to keep it under $1k for the switch, any other recommendations for SFP base? I've got a couple of base-T cards prefer to go SFP as the cards are easier to come by

18. emmjawsX

emmjawsX Member

Asus just released a non-pro-mlg-rog-rgb version of an aquantia 10GBase-T NIC. US RRP is USD$99, if a few other manufacturers roll out some competing cards and prices get pushed down just a bit i might go in on 10G finally.

DanglingPointer likes this.
  19. aXi$te

aXi$te Member

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

30 feedback. and he'd be loosing many $ in postage to get it here.

may not be a scam, but definitely dodgy.