When is consumer 10GbE going to happen?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Smokin Whale, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Some 10GbE optics will run at 1G as well - I've seen some Intel ones that do (their official SR, LR do). Otherwise, you can get SFP (not SFP+, SFP+ is 10G capable) 1G optics and these MAY work. I've had success with third party (Cisco) optics in Intel X520s before (under Windows, with official drivers) - SX, LX and 1000baseT but not all 10G cards will also operate with 1G SFP modules. If you're using 10G optics, you *require* genuine Intel or Intel coded SFP+ optics, but I haven't had issues with third party 1G.

2. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Unfortunately the ConnectX-2 doesn't support 1G operation; only 10G data rates are supported. I've actually seen some decent deals on 10G SFP+ switches (be prepared for a little noise, though).

3. bcann

bcann Member

So has anyone seen anything decent in this space come out at a decent price or are we still waiting for 2018 to bring us something?

4. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

depends what you deem reasonable:
    US‑16‑XG

can't stack them so i'm not interested, Netgear has the M7100, again not interested.

5. bcann

bcann Member

When i look at consumer land, I'm thinking 2-4 10 Gb ports (Base T as its consumer land) and 12-16 1 Gb ports for <=$500, that to me would be the sweet spot i think for us Tech folk for new hardware pricing. Yes i am aware you can scoop some old cisco gear with SFP's and whatnot for less, but i'm more interested in Base T. Once that hardware hits i can then justify it + $250 odd for a used Intel 540 T2.

6. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Only "2-4 10 Gb ports for <$500"? When Mellanox deprecated their QDR 40 Gb's Infiniband gear last year I bought a used 18 port switch for just under $300 (price new was 6K in $USD), seven lots of 2 metre copper QSFP cables for $200 (given most people's NAS's are usually nearby in the same room as they are) and an assortment of mostly HP 592520-B21 cards (same as Mellanox Connect-X2 MHQH29B) for between $50 - $100 each that can run as either 40 Gb's Infiniband or 10 Gb's Ethernet. Even if I had to connect a remote PC that was at the other end of the house say 15 metres away from the switch using a 20m $300 QSFP optical cable it would still be a reasonable total cost and I'm a bit bemused as to what it is you find is so special about 10 Base T in your suggested proposed setup that you immediately rule out SFP+ or QSFP.

We've been waiting quite some time for this stuff and I'd say its probably going to be readily available and also at a cheap price in one tenth of the time a working nuclear fusion reactor is going to be built, which if anyone doesn't know is about 50 years from the time someone asks that question so my prediction is for 10 Base T also in about 5 years time.

7. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

8. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

I don't think so because it only has two of the high speed ports in which case you could just go point to point with 2 high speed cards and bypass this router altogether and the other 8 ports are just your regular standard gig ports so I'd describe this router as basically useless unless your thinking that one or both of the high speed ports are plugged into a file server/NAS/SAN or similar and the other 8 people on the gig links are say downloading at full gig speeds simultaneously but that doesn't exactly fit my idea of "Consumer 10GbE" as your still individually limited to gig speeds same as you are on a regular gig router. This is my opinion unless I'm missing something really obvious to everybody else.

If it had all ten links at 'Multi Gigabit' (BASE-T!) and even if the price was something higher like USD$499 and cards were USD$100-200 then that would then fit my definition of "Consumer" because (1) the standard method of connection and cabling, (2) the still reasonable pricing all up, and finally (3) everyone plugged in having access to 10GbE speeds. Anything less than all of this I don't consider "Consumer 10GbE".

9. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

Was only thinking that for homes with a NAS capable of data transfers well over gigabit speeds and a 10GbE port, and possibly one workstation able to pull that kind of data, it is useful as at least the rest of the posts can pull gigabit as well, otherwise the downlink from the NAS only running a gigabit shared with everyone.

Got to say for 2 ports in a home solution under $300 it seems to be breaking a new pricepoint and hopefully it drives things forward.

10. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

11. Copie

Copie Member

Those x540s are fake copys

12. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Sort-of! Netgear have released their SX10 switches which integrate with their Nighthawk platform and provide 2xNBASE-T ports with speeds up to 10GbE and 8 ports of gigabit... and RGB LEDs...

http://www.netgear.com/npg/sx10/

13. flain

flain Member

Ive been running one of these for many years now https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XS708E.aspx (8 port 10Gbase-T switch). They go for about $750 new. The 8 ports is plenty to cover my 4 PCs that can actually do 10G then the rest of my devices patch into a low power/energy saver 1G switch that is up-linked into it. In terms of reliability - it seems to have issues and needs reboots if you plug something in that can only do 100mbps (like old adsl routers, older model raspberry pi's etc) - problem solved by getting a second switch.

For actual NICs I picked most up off ebay, learn which chipsets you want (my advice is make sure its fan-less) and keep checking. Every once in a while someone sells old server gear, i got lucky and picked up a bunch of 10Gbase-T NICs for $110 each a few years ago. I replaced my older ones that had fans (fans on 10Gbase-T gear are noisy).

14. ae00711

ae00711 Member

15. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

17. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Looks very consumer

I do love how tech is swinging back to high throughput layer 2 switching when it was routing/MPLS for so long.

And why does everything need to be labeled SDN, all it needs is interface that supports m2m and even then there are controllers that can SDN anything and handle the stupid clis that some devices have anyway.

Also does anyone really use Qsfps in 4x10g seams like a good way to create a cabling clusterfuck

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  18. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

I have going into devices that support lacp but only have SFP+ ports.

What you need to do is 2x4x10g back to back and splay the links so there is a mesh across the 4 QSFP ports for complete mind and cabling cluster fuck :)

19. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Im using some arista 7160s atm
    48 x 25g ports
    6 x 100g which can also do 10x10g

Not even enough space on the front to put a label! But we are using them for 100g anyway but imagine fully populated...

I do love breaking into bash shell on them thou

20. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

32 ports of 40GbE QSFP+ ethernet doesn't sound all that exciting as for that sort of price you could have had something like that in QDR infiniband like a Mellanox IS5025 a couple of years ago and that technology was introduced way back in 2007, or is there some sort of special use for it that you have that isn't obvious to me?