When is consumer 10GbE going to happen?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Smokin Whale, Sep 21, 2014.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm a BtrFS user at work (multi-site, multiple PBs of BtrFS storage) and home. I'm also a passionate Linux user and sysadmin/architect for over 20 years. That doesn't change the fact that BtrFS's RAID5 implementation isn't stable (nothing to do with the write hole - the code itself hasn't yet been deemed stable by its developers), nor is this a "flame-fanboy" war. Read the docs on the BtrFS website, it's written there in black and white (and red).

Screenshot_2019-01-26_143919.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  2. DanglingPointer

DanglingPointer Member

I think I hear Tarzan!... Someone is beating his chest and yelling!... Wow such huge image! LoL :D

This is OCAU with OC meaning "Overclockers"! What % of production you reckon use overclocked chips at datacentres? Or on that note, how many would be coming to "Overclockers" Australia for advise for production purposes?
    Did I mention anywhere I'm using BTRFS RAID5 for production or advised anyone to it??? Read my posts. You basically responded to 338 where all I did is narrate "my experience". And you proceeded to tell your advise to everyone in the "authoritative manner"! Thus condescending to my post.
    LoL You mentioned... "Everyone else reading this:..." (roll eyes) because everyone else would be idiots right (sarcasm)? No one considering BTRFS RAID56 will see "this" when they start going through the motions. (see a link does it, no need for huge images)

If this wasn't a flame war, why the large huge image? I think you want to be heard and you get off it because you have been a linux sysadmin for "20" years, you want to assert authority? You don't earn respect by belittling others, no matter how long you've been in the game. Look at Trump, how long has he been in the game, who respects him?

I don't want to beat my chest like and you, just to let you know though you don't know who I am, but I've been in the industry just as long as you and I'm still in it.

You're in the wrong forum for the last 19 years mate if you want to beat everyone into nice stable zero-risk kernel 3.10 production stuff! Go hide in your RHEL or CentOS or whatever rock-steady place keeps you calm. This is Overclockers Australia where we push the boundaries mate, frontier stuff!

This will be the last I will be responding to you and I bet anything you are dying to respond to this! Go for it! And let the world know Mr 20 year sysadmin/arhictect thinks he knows better than DanglingPointer mystery man! Have the last word, I bow out.

My next comment on this thread is when I get the new mobo for my second Asus XG-C1001C. Looking forward to seeing the backups and file transfers between BTRFS RAID0 and RAID5 over NFS async in my lab speed up. Looking forward to see how much faster it will be!

Cheerio

3. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

So who touched you in the wrong place and can you show the court where on this doll?

NSanity, blankpaper and elvis like this.
  4. DanglingPointer

DanglingPointer Member

Oh I seriously considered the seriously cheap mellanox x2's but then decided on the Asus XG-C1001C for these reasons... that it is less work for me due to these:
    • In Linux kernel support out of the box (no need to download or compile drivers, modules)
    • Compatible with all other consumer cheap unmanaged switches cables etc. (copper RJ45, plan is crossover but they are for lab and research so they get move, tested and unplugged a lot from time to time.)
    Perhaps you already know, the bad thing about copper 10gbe RJ45 is increased latency and cable length compared to SFP+. But the convenience for me outweighs it.
    According to Asus for 10Gbps:
    CAT6a - 100m
    CAT6 - 56m
    CAT5e - 30m

I've got the servers 4 metres away from each other and have a lot of spare short CAT5e and CAT6 cables.
    I got the cards for $149 each at MSY.

5. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

You may want to check out the next gen FS thread, I posted a while back on a btrfs scrub bug found that may interest you, they found that raid 5 scrub was writing corrupt data.

If you're not compiling your own kernel, which I think you've advised you aren't, it might be best to track against something like the Ubuntu or equivalent testing build to leverage mainline fixes as early as possible.

6. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

So it turns out that these guys just happily uneventfully chug along until you get a day where you set maximum temperature records. Once the room hits around 35°C, the switch will have heated up the sound insulated 6RU mini cabinet to ~45°C and itself be running at 50° or more. I say running, but I really mean dropping packets, resetting connections and just overall being flaky.
    Open the door, slap in a low speed 120mm fan pointed kind of in its direction and the switch temperature quickly drops to 38°C and it resumes normal function.

7. ae00711

ae00711 Member

which one is that again?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  8. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Asus XG-U2008

Admittedly, by the time the switch is getting flaky, the room is hot enough that the squishy keyboard monkey is getting flaky too.

ae00711 likes this.
  9. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Example,

12-Port Gigabit Industrial Smart Managed PoE Switch with 10 1000BASE-T (8 PoE+) ports and 2 SFP ports

D-Link want 2,600 on their website. My ideal comms location gets very warm in summer so quality silicon is a must.

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

tried adding a little airflow?

my 'comms cupboard', got very warm even in cooler months, cut of hole and added a 120mm fan exhausting into the roof space, keeps things under control all year round.

DanglingPointer likes this.
  11. Jazper

Jazper Member

I still have a chelsio dual SFP+ (420T2-SO from memory) with lamps if anyone needs one..

12. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

It's not exactly consumer now is it?

13. bucket23

bucket23 Member

Asus is wrong, only Cat6A is garunteed to work for 10g base-t. Both cat5 and cat6 could work upto 100m but they also could fail at 1m.
    Keep it to normal length patch leads and you are most likely good to go.

14. ae00711

ae00711 Member

never seen the point of only 2 10Gb ports.. may as well just directly connect the two PCs :/

15. DanglingPointer

DanglingPointer Member

Yeah I'm on 4.20 ubuntu mainline. I'm part of the BTRFS mailing list so aware what's happening. Thanks for the heads up though.

16. DanglingPointer

DanglingPointer Member

Cool, will give the box of cables that I've got accumulated for the last 2 decades a shot. Well until I loose patience I suppose and end up buying a 4m CAT6a or CAT7 cable

17. DanglingPointer

DanglingPointer Member

For larger than home/small office networks where you jerry rig a router --> switch --> switch; with each switch hooked up to computers/devices/PoS/etc.

18. bucket23

bucket23 Member

Why not cat8.1 or cat8.2?

19. DanglingPointer

DanglingPointer Member

Haven't considered those, to be honest wasn't aware of those! Will check them out!

20. Luke212

Luke212 Member

technically, why does copper have increased latency over fibre (SFP)? is it the speed of electrons over copper vs photon in glass? or something in the tranceivers?