When is consumer 10GbE going to happen?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Smokin Whale, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Although it does demonstrate the stagnation in the subject. Over a year later (nearly SIX! since thread started) and we're still lacking the SOHO affordable 16+4 passive switches.

By this stage in the lifecycles of 100 and 1Gbe, the port cost was so low they were giving them away with every motherboard. Switches were lunchmoney for 8 ports with the cheaper and nastier brands hitting 16 and 24 unmanaged ports for peanuts.

2. cvidler

cvidler Member

just goes to show the demand just isn't there - outside of a handful of nerds on forums.

and I doubt that'll change, with PC sales declining, and all the sheeple perfectly happy with consuming on iThings over wifi.

10GE gear isn't exactly cost prohibitive now, it's more than 1GE sure, but if you need it - it's cheap, if you want it - it's affordable. and if you still think it's expensive, you obviously don't need it much.

Gaidin likes this.
  3. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Yeah, but what if the home user nerd doesn't want enterprise levels of data center noise and the inconvenience of fragile fiber or the expense of long DA cables? Like I said, 10G gear has just stagnated; although your wifi iThings sentiment I agree with. Perhaps 2.5/5GbE will rise to fill the void, although that seems to be a pretty skinny & slow developing market still.

4. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Then you go get a Netgear XS708T or XS708E - 8 ports 10GBaseT. There's a 712T (12 ports) and a 716E 16 ports). Starting about $700.

Or a Mikrotik CRS309-1G-8S+IN (SFP+) or CRS326-24G-2S+IN or various other options with either SFP+ or 10GBaseT, starting around $300 if you can find a suitable AU vendor (there are some, I just didn't see if they actually offered pricing info).

Or perhaps a DLink DXS1210 but they're targeted at business so RRP is 2x the Netgear.

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

This. Nobody here on OCAU is the average consumer. Hell, take a look at every ad on TV at the moment where they call household internet access "WiFi".

Home wired connections are going the way of the dodo. The future will be everything on wireless at home, and only enterprise will bother with pesky cables.

Ditto for consumer level backup. Local storage is too annoying for most households, and everything is in the cloud.

At best there might be some prosumer mobs who dabble in faster networked storage for amateur video folk, but for the rest of us, we're doomed to relying on enterprises throwing old gear out via eBay to get the performance we want.

caspian likes this.
  6. cvidler

cvidler Member

you're sprouting ancient myths.

you can get switches without fans in them. no data centre noise. have been able to for many years.
    fibre is not as fragile as people make it out to be. treat it the same as cat5/6/whatever and it'll survive just fine (i.e. don't tie it in a knot, and don't roll your chair wheels over it every day).

2.5/5GE is a waste of time it has the same intrinsic costs of 10GE (i.e. you need new NICs, new switches, and possibly new cables), for less benefit. may as well just go 10GE and do it right first time.

bcann likes this.
  7. cvidler

cvidler Member

and not even everyone on OCAU is going to want or need 10GE.
    it really is a tiny market - thus one that's not catered for widely.

elvis and caspian like this.
  8. jakes

jakes Member

a bunch of the qnaps already do, if that helps

9. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Yeah, 10g switches. With more than two 10GBaseT ports. I'd really honestly appreciate being pointed in a direction if I've completely missed their existence.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on fibre. My experience is that it's a lot less tolerant of mishandling than copper. Especially when you routinely drag it out & over to a mates place for a LAN.

On that we agree. :thumbup:

I'm just bummed 10G hasn't remotely followed the same trajectory as 1G and 100Meg before it. I bought into GbE early on, when pricing for unmanaged ports dropped below $100/port (woo 8 ports for under a grand!). Six-odd years later I replaced it with a 24 port unit with management that cost a bit over half as much - so per port cost had dropped about 80%.

Comparing to DavidRa's cheapest option up there - the Netgear XS708E. Sure, it's $700-ish now (if you can find it, having reached EOL). That model is SIX years old and still 80+% of it's new cost. That's some pretty impressive value holding. Nor has it been superseeded by something that's half the cost, half the power and with 4x the port count. Bummer :(

jakes likes this.
  10. karun

karun Member

The problem is most consumers are interested mostly only in Wifi, and fewer laptops even have ethernet without an adapter.

wwwww likes this.
  11. koopz

koopz Member

Nobody here at OCAU is the average consumer.

*Australian - not American

Either grow or find a councillor to help you move on.

The national economy is still locking up atm - you are either a part of the problem or part of the solution tomorrow.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Pugs likes this.
  12. ikonz0r

ikonz0r Member

Or a search activist. ;):D

13. Luke212

Luke212 Member

those huge prices show the problem. We all know the 10gbe failed in a big way. Where is the $100 8 port option?

I have many different 100gbs/200gbs eg Mellanox cards and they are 5 years old and pennies now. Just the switches that’s the main missing link.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  14. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Out with your soldering iron then, show them how it's done :p

15. connico

connico Member

Ubiquiti US-XG-6POE gives you 2*10gbe ports. What are you all complaining about... It's silent, you can get it for a grand and has enough ports for a NAS and a direct attached PC....

Otherwise get a used cisco or hpe switch and be done with it...

16. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Just quietly there's a 10GbE switch on the forums for $150 right now lol... and given how hilariously cheap sfp+ modules are on ebay who cares that it's sfp+

17. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

I picked up a HPe 6600-24G-4XG from evilbay for $250. Bloody noisy and only HP SFP's seem to be compatible with it. Overall it cost me about $500 by the time I replaced the fans and got the right SFP's for it.

Apart from those annoyances it works great. The NAS and our two workstations are on 10gig, really notice the difference when editing photos off the NAS.

18. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I have an EdgeSwitch 16-XG, I bought it a couple years ago when it was a few hundred dollars less than it is now (~800 - https://pricehipster.com/?q=16-XG). I have a dual sfp+ to my server via DAC, all 1Gb links (internet, AP's, etc) are using cheapo RJ45 transceivers, then I use the 4 ports for RJ45 Cat7 to my PC's with consumer nic's (or onboard) ~ 20 metres. It can make a bit of noise when it gets hot (utilisation+summer) but I keep it in a ventilated cabinet with some audio sound deadening, making it inaudible from within the same room.

It cost a fair bit to set up for sure (partial tax write off) and could definitely be achieved cheaper (especially with less PC's), but wowee I wouldn't like to go back, there is more of a difference from 1Gb that I certainly expected, it's not just raw throughput (though that is lovely) but even just file level access response. I have made a fair few adjustments to my nic configs though in favor of reducing access latency and compatibility rather than throughput. I get around 800MB/s (no jumbo frames) between PC's.

I use it for large file storage w/quick file management/transfers/encoding but also share my steam library between pc's (I have a 4TB SSD in one PC and just mount that to my other PC's) which is fast and effective, really can't tell the difference to local storage.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    jakes likes this.
  19. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

You'll get 3x Asus 8+2's for that kind of money. When it dropped, they were showing off a 12+4 version of the chipset, but AFIK it's never seen the light of day.

20. Blinky

Blinky Member

I’m just pricing up 10GBE now. Is anybody running the mikrotik crs305? I can’t seem to find a better solution for 10GB Ethernet. I only need 4 ports of 10G.
    The apartment is fairly new running cat6a so I will go with that. Otherwise it looks like fiber is not as expensive as it was years ago.