1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

When is consumer 10GbE going to happen?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Smokin Whale, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Blinky

Blinky Member

How many things need to hit the NAS faster than 1Gbps at your place? I had just assumed your workstation, that might be my bad.

If you want to go 10, go for it. :)

Gibbon likes this.
  2. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

No, you're right, it's only one that I'd really like to upgrade to 10Gb, and one other PC that I'd like to if possible, but not really that important.

I'm trying to talk myself into putting in some fibre, so don't come up with other practical options :lol::lol:

3. Blinky

Blinky Member

Oh for sure! :)

The way to do it is to cost it out. Seriously, pretend you are buying it right now.

Get some secondhand NICs from one of us or eBay - I'm looking at you Aetherone.
    Transceivers (apparently also from eBay) else FS.com https://www.fs.com/au/products/74668.html
    Was it 30 meters of spag you needed, cheaper than $30 a link if you can get the connectors through the walls. https://www.fs.com/au/products/41733.html

Want to go copper, no dacs at that length, but transceivers. https://www.fs.com/au/products/75322.html

Switches are going to hurt, best to say what you are looking for.

Switch related, if you only need four 10Gb ports, you could find out where Davros got his two crs-305 from, cuz they're cheap.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  4. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Hehe, cheers :)

Switch is easy, I already have a Ubiquiti 48 port switch that has 4 x SFP+ ports. Upgrading the NAS is really the thing that's stopping me at the moment ... but not for long I suspect :)

5. Blinky

Blinky Member

Oh well, you are technically breaking boy code there. Some camshafts and bigger tyres and we'll have it doing 10's down the quarter... What? oh sorry, wrong thread.
    Seriously though, nice switch. I just bought two ER-4 for the collection myself.

Gees pre-built NAS are so expensive. A friend just dropped $1400 on a Synology, ouch.

6. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Yeah, very true. Work expense for me, so that helps a bit, but still :(
    Shame I like Synology so much :)

7. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

That they are, although trying to build anything which matches the noise/heat/power footprint ends up costing about that anyway. It's a shame nobody makes an ITX board with a SFP+ on it...

8. Blinky

Blinky Member

I haven’t searched it but from memory a couple of the Supermicro do.

9. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

All I want for christmas is an arm server board, with eight or so decent cores, plenty of ram slots, a whole bunch of pcie-16x slots, oh and could they pretty please also price it at povspec budget :p

10. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Perfect for my Syno homebuild!
    https://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-X10SDV-12C-TLN4F-Motherboard/dp/B06XP6ZZJY
    $2000 AUD WTF

Both Supermicro and AsrockRack make some nice server ITX boards with 10G (copper euw) onboard. None of them are cheap options :upset:
    Some bugger needs to design a SFX psu'ed mATX case with 8x 3.5" drive slots.

11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

To be fair, they're more of a business product than a personal one. Much of what you're paying for is not only support but also a user interface made for knobhead staff who don't know how to use computers properly.

You can build exactly the same thing with a bit of Linux, ZFS/BtrFS, and some other bits and bobs. But then you need a non-knobhead to run it, and businesses would rather spend dollars on gizmos than people.

12. jtir

jtir Member

I've taken a different approach and have avoided the consumer 10Gbe.

A lot of old/second hand stuff is now within reach of regular consumers, which can provide 10Gbe routing and switching throughput.

Core of my setup (all second or eBay sourced):
    1. Quanta LB6M 24-port 10Gbe SFP switch - approx $750 on ebay. I have reflashed it with the Brocade TurboIron firmware
    2. Found cheap Intel X710-DA2 and Intel X520-SR2 card. I am not using DAC cables, just cheap OM3 MMF fibre. Dual port cards configured with LACP.
    3. SFPs - the cheapest I could find. All are 10Gbe SR. I then found cheap 1Gbe copper SFPs for everything else.
    4. Unifi 16-port and Ubiquiti 8-port 1Gbe POE switches for access layer
    5. Took a gamble with multi-gig wiitek SFPs (Nbase-T/802.3bz), and confirmed working at 2.5Gbe with my Access Point and Intel I225-V NIC (Windows only drivers, none for FreeBSD)

[​IMG]

SKITZ0_000 likes this.
  13. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Great for the passive gear like the SFP optics, but hows the noise level on that Quanta LB6M?

14. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

130w at idle (apparently) will make it quite loud I'd imagine.

15. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Why would it need to be a mATX sized board because if you're wanting about 8 drive slots you've already talking about a case that probably could take a full sized ATX board? I agree with you about the high prices though because I think if you want a NAS you really should skip consumer gear and go with an enterprise board if you can find a reasonably good one that's not ridiculously expensive.

16. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Ouch. That'd be the other reason cheap ex-enterprise gear is suboptimal in the home.
    There's a couple of ITX based 8-bay chassis with NAS dimensions out in the wild, but a 10g equipped ITX board is big bikkies.

Jump up to mATX and now you've got four possible expansion ports, so two left over after you drop in the sas controller and SFP+ card.
    I recently snapped up a b450 mATX am4 board for $60. Two physical x16 slots, one of which supports 4x NVMe adaptor cards.

Synology/Qnap seem expensive until you try to roll your own in the same thermal/power/volume/noise footprint.

Also on the plus side (and on topic!) both big vendors natively support the cheap ex-enterprise SFP+ cards. $60 Intel/Mellanox 10g upgrade.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  17. Blinky

Blinky Member

18. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

SONOFFABIATCH

19. Blinky

Blinky Member

What?

20. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Guess what I just bought?