1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

When is consumer 10GbE going to happen?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Smokin Whale, Sep 21, 2014.

1. drint

drint Member

Hi,
    Any suggestions on what my problem is.
    i got combined transceivers + cable (3m) from fs.com
    I have mellanox connectx3 (on server running rhel 7) talking to mikrotic cr309.
    The ifconnect at linux end comes up ok. The links for the cable flashes ok.
    The mikrotic can see the transceiver in it.
    The nic comes up uses dhcp to get an ip address but i can not ping in or out to the rhel nic after that.
    I flashed connectx3's to latest firmware and flashed mikrotic to latest firmware.
    I have another intel unraid box can't talk via same brand cable and transceivers via mikrotic also.

I'm stumped.
    There is not much i can change/screw up on mikrotic in swos mode.

2. cvidler

cvidler Member

that says to me, you've got a software problem. blinken lights + dhcp says physical, drivers, and IP stack are working.

firewall on the rhel server or the other end you're pinging to/from?

does your switch do vlans? one device is in the wrong vlan?

3. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Just my latest rant on this - how is 10Gb or at least 2.5Gb not mainstream already? This feels like the battle of internet "cloud" services where LAN speeds beyond internet are a waste, and the uptake of NAS devices with the speed of modern HDDs and especially SSDs.

Given a single HDD sustained read can saturate a 1Gb link and SSDs are well beyond that, it is such a limiting factor to the benefits of a NAS. I've now moved all of my storage to networked on 10Gb, OS aside, and it is so nice having TBs of storage available with nothing but a relatively small M.2 SSD in the desktops/laptops.

1Gb die already.

TRG.dOinK likes this.
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm seeing a handful of consumer internet router type devices appearing with 2.5GbE lately. Hopefully that's a sign that mass consumer adoption of >1GbE is beginning to happen.

5. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Cost has been the big sticking point. 10g has stubbornly held it's price point for a decade+ longer than 100m or 1g did before it. Then add in the whole power/thermal issues that have gone along with the processing power needed to shove 10g over TP copper.
    5g and 2.5g were slated as the interim/bridging replacements - solving the cabling and power issues but still costing a fair slab as much as the whole 10g enchilada. They're slowly coming down in price, but it's still cheaper to go ex-enterprise 10g fibre - with one problem - ex-enterprise switching is decidedly NOT home office noise friendly.

Thankfully, vendors like QNAP and Mikrotik seems to have finally recognised this little gap in the market.

6. elvis

Makes sense. They (and folks like Synology) are making a killing in the SMB NAS space, and those interim standards are perfect for their customer base.

7. flain

flain Member

A lot of "gaming" motherboards come with 2.5Gbps now so i'm guessing 2.5 might become more common in the near future.

elvis likes this.
  8. cvidler

cvidler Member

this, the vast majority of home users are iThing content consumers, so only want wifi. they also only do youfacetwittokflix so limited by internet download speeds; and they don't know any better, so the cheapest shittiest combo modem/wifi/router box their ISP gives them is perfect (the price is right).

simple fact, there's no demand in the market, it'll never reach saturation point to become a commodity. you're more likely to be able to buy a consumer level motherboard with 1gb+ wifi onboard than 10gb ethernet.

(I've said it all before)

10GE+ is affordable now, has been for years, if you can't afford it you don't really need it. aka if you really needed it you'd find the budget for it. network gear has long lifetimes, it's not out of date next week like a cpu/gpu upgrade. the latest AAA game won't suddenly run crap on it. it's more a long term investment like say a quality UPS.

9. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I deliberately didn't mention them :) Not sure I like their current business practices leanings with branding ram and HDDs and writing firmwares to whinge when using others. Feels very HP/Compaq/Dell crappy.
    QNAP though, they're being all interesting and edgy. They're exploded their switch range recently with some tasty not-ridiculously priced 10g SFP options.

10. elvis

I didn't know this. Dealt with that shit for years from some terrible vendors (Autodesk were the worst, with their "custom" storage that wasn't custom, and just had a 200% markup on drives).

Very much not a fan of this sort of behaviour.

11. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

This made me laugh - my 12 year old APC ups finally died a month ago. It did its job and then some, it was a model designed to take external batteries, and I fed it off 16(!) 55Ah batteries wired in series parallel for 48V for a substantial amount of time. Needless to say, during the occasional power outage, I was the only one using the microwave with the lights on and the PC's running. I'll probably find a similar model, and run it from Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries to reduce the battery footprint.

I have had the painful experience of transferring 19Tb of data from a synology nas to my unraid server. Started friday, finished today. I still have another 8Tb of stuff to copy, but thats on an external thunderbolt 3 drive (yes I scored an 16 Tb lacie in a computer gear haul - set it up as raid 1 for security), which will be way faster than ethernet 1G. I'm planning to move to 10G myself as the synology will become a redundant backup. I would prefer it didn't take a week to copy all my stuff.

Bear in mind that I know unraid is a bit slower than other flavours of nas os due to the way it writes parity on the fly. Still I did NOT have the parity drive enabled. I only turned that on yesterday, and theres still quite a few hours to go for it to build.

So I have two computers to hook up with 10G along with the synology (I'll need to get an upgrade card for it). I'm guessing I'll need:

A 5 Port Microtik switch
    3 SFP to RJ45 cartridges
    A 10Gbe Nic for each computer and the Synology branded one for the synology box
    Quality cable.

I'll keep my old 8 port switch to feed the apple TV, the raspberry pi running pi hole, and the Airport extreme which is reduced to being an AirPlay subwoofer. It'll also be the uplink from the NBN router.

McRutch likes this.
  12. cvidler

cvidler Member

lol I thought I was going overboard, got two old 3000VA SmartUPS running from 8x26AH batteries each.

13. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Yeah 1 3000VA RMI3U running off the 16 batteries. It ran for HOURS (overnight when I last did a battery calibration). Insane :) Hence I could afford to plug the microwave in to heat up some treats during a power outage :p

It was powering everything in the loungeroom too, the TV, amp, subwoofer, router, apple tv, gaming pc, synology box, hp server and the microwave occasionally, along with lights.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  14. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I shoved a $64 Intel x520 and a $62 Mellanox Connect-X 3 into my syno. Both worked perfectly on v6 DSM. Still haven't jumped to 7 to see, but I'm sure someone on Reddit will have.
    The only downside is >1g speed on the Syno needs more memory than stock.

15. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

I already upgraded the ram in mine to 8 gigs, so thats good to know the intel and mellanox cards work :)

16. Blinky

Blinky Member

Yeah ... I'm just wiring up the two 48vdc battery arrays now, at 60kg each 2 volt battery they aren't light. It's hard to find anywhere to hold 2.9 tonnes of batteries :Paranoid:

[​IMG]

Aetherone likes this.
  17. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

No one likes a show off ;) LOL. Off grid setup?

Blinky likes this.
  18. Blinky

Blinky Member

Sorry, I thought it was a pissing comp. :lol:

Yes it was. It was essentially the biggest UPS I have ever owned.
    I'd like to say that I'm enjoying not living off-grid - but I'd be lying. :(

Now that things like the Tesla power-walls are available, you can kinda have the best of both worlds I guess.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  19. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Hmmm, does anyone have any leads on PCI-X (aka 64-bit PCI) 10g cards.
    Having scored a quad-cpu server full of empty PCI-x sluts, I feel like putting a 10g card in for shits'n'giggles...
    I see a bargain Chelsio unit on fleabay, but unsure of drivers for it.

Also, for those that might want 10gig media conversion: https://www.fs.com/au/products/101479.html

20. Blinky

Blinky Member