1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

When is consumer 10GbE going to happen?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Smokin Whale, Sep 21, 2014.

1. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

I'd be surprised that they would even make them given that bandwidth for PCI-X is I believe only 64 MB's which even Gbe could easily handle.

2. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

https://www.optcore.net/product/25938/ may or may not end up slightly cheaper depending on shipping (didn't look too hard earlier, the "update" mail came through and I was curious myself)

3. Snoops

Snoops Member

Depending on the clock around 1GB sec max (before overhead).. Even a bog standard 32bit pci bus can handle >200MB/sec..

4. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

More likely the whole half-duplex thing will hurt the most
    32-bit at 33 MHz: 133 MB/s (the standard desktop configuration - just barely enough for GbE with overheads and the bus to itself)
    32-bit at 66 MHz: 266 MB/s
    64-bit at 33 MHz: 266 MB/s (PCI-x ver 1.0)
    64-bit at 66 MHz: 533 MB/s (PCI-x ver 1.0)
    64-bit at 133MHz: 1064 MB/s (PCI-x ver 1.0)
    64-bit at 266MHz: 2,132 MB/s (PCI-x ver 2.0)
    64-bit at 533MHz: 4,266 MB/s (PCI-x ver 2.0)

FWIW, my experience with FS has been absolutely stellar. I'd buy from them again in a heartbeat. Can I borrow yer CC? :p

5. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Oh boy, I might have done something a little silly... How backlogged is Australia post these days?

6. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

How silly?

I've not had much in the way of delays other than items coming from China and I order a LOT. However I'm in an area of the country without COVID so if it is local parcel delivery delays then it would differ across the country.

7. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Shipping from CN silly :) They'll probably land it in Melb's just to annoy me.

8. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Ahhh, a switch from fs.com

Expect a few weeks at least.

9. Blinky

Blinky Member

If it's FS.com remote warehouse, like phreeky82 said it takes a while.

What did you buy?

10. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

To expand on that, my recent switch order was ~5wk wait. About 4wk of that was it getting to Melb.

I don't know if they do bulk shipments and so it is just lucky/unlucky timing on where your order fits in their cycle, or they're individual items shipped and just slow. The items they had in stock in Melb reached me in a few days.

11. Blinky

Blinky Member

America is apparently snowed under parcel flow wise, due to massive local expenditure of the government’s stimulus measures, so don’t buy there either.

12. grrrr

grrrr Member

13. Blinky

Blinky Member

Does anybody know of good pricing on 10gbase-t transceivers at the moment?

14. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I bought a new toy :)

upload_2021-10-22_16-55-44.png

USG-Pro 4
    USW-Aggregation
    2 x USW-Pro-24-PoE

Now I just need to upgrade my NAS to one that I can put a card into .... and get some fibre run to the 2 PCs I want 10Gb to. Happy days.

So .. basically, no benefit yet :)

Aetherone and TheWedgie like this.
  15. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Interesting toy. Is the casing 65 or 75% empty space?
    Not especially. Simply for the level of support I just hit up FS for mine. 10GTek is an option, but doesn't save much by the time I factor in shipping and currency conversion (pretty much the same for the Wiitek unit from Amazon). The FS is supposed to be a multi-gig unit and so far doesn't seem to be excessively hot.

16. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Which is new? All of them?

That's extreme, you need three 10G switches at home?

I just run a single central switch. Most on 1G, the few devices that need it on 10G via copper (inc desktop ~10m run). I'm glad I went with a switch with sufficient ports of both 1G and 10G for my needs.

By feel? My fs.com transceiver doesn't report temperature.

17. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Heh, probably - I haven't opened it up, though it is surprisingly heavy for something that's only 44mm deep.

Only the USW-Aggregation is new. The other two are 1Gb switches, but have 2 x SFP+ ports. I've had them for a while (connected together with a DAC cable)
    I'll have three, maybe four 10Gb devices, so couldn't connect them all as well as connect the the two switches together at 10Gb with what I had.

My main work PC is somewhere between 45 and 50m as the cable goes (rack is upstairs at one end of the house, my office is downstairs, at the other end of the house ...) - the main reason why I've decided to go SFP+ and fibre.

This'll work perfectly :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  18. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

My Mikrotik switch says they do. At some point I'll have to give them a real proper workout, but I sold off almost all my 10g copper gear to fund 10g fibre gear.

19. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

My switch says DDM not supported which matches the spec sheet but also shows it at 38.5c. Removing it though it feels about twice that by touch.

20. Blinky

Blinky Member

Hmmm well, there are 3 x 10Gb here. 1 at the mdf, 1 at the media wall, 2 at the office/workstations (soon to be replaced by a bigger one.)
    When you don't or can't have enough outlets in the walls sometimes you have to go the long way round.

Yup my FS transceivers do too.