1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

When is consumer 10GbE going to happen?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Smokin Whale, Sep 21, 2014.

1. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

I've been sooooooooo slack on this. So I bought the FlyPro back in January. Today in my office, since it's been a bit warmer in Melbourne the last few days, I couldn't keep my desktop on the network, it'd die for exactly 10 mins at a time while I was working. I checked the switch and I was bouncing over 95 degrees (and it has a kill point @ 95).

I reached into the desk drawer where my FlyPro SFPs were, swapped them with the Mikrotik and spent the 15 seconds it took to do (that's proper laziness) and they've gone from 95 degrees to 60 (about the same as the 34 degree difference you were seeing) and my desktop has been solid since.

Dammit. Now I need to buy more for the switch in the cupboard downstairs which is what I actually bought them for in the first place. That's 100% worth doing.

2. Blinky

Blinky Member

I ordered 4 of these the other day for $81 each delivered. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/383932252626

But these are the two other options, which I probably will order as well. It's funny how you have backup fibre ones but not the ones which are more likely to fail.

At $70.45 each -> https://www.amazon.com.au/ipolex-10GBase-T-Transceiver-SFP-10G-T-S-Supermicro/dp/B01M5LIUK5 ->
    Edit: Buy the two pack for $138 ($69ea) https://www.amazon.com.au/ipolex-10GBase-T-Transceiver-SFP-10G-T-S-Supermicro/dp/B08NW1VBX6

and

The FlyPro ones at $78 each delivered
    -> https://www.amazon.com.au/FLYPROFiber-MikroTik-Copper-10GBase-T-Transceiver/dp/B08FXBFZP8

Yes all of my Mikrotik transceivers run hotter than anything else - which shits me to be honest as they aren't cheap.

Yet another EDIT: Shortcut to that transceiver review;

10GBase-T_Power_Usage.png

Oh and might as well link in my new switch, which is on the back of a high-speed Lama out of Latvia as we speak;
    https://www.eurodk.com/en/products/crs/cloud-router-switch-317-1g-16srm

https://www.servethehome.com/mikrotik-crs317-1g-16s-rm-review/

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  3. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

Nice. I need more fibre gear to justify that unfortunately. The CRS312-4C+8XG-RM is my main switch.

The house was pre-wired before we bought it so it's all copper.. though I might see if the guy who ran a pair of CAT6 from a wardrobe downstairs (which is the core of all the fixed cabling) can also run some fibre into the garage where everything else is.

I ordered 2 more of the FlyPro tonight for $150 delivered (total) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FXBFZP8 which will hopefully fix the temperature of the switch in the same wardrobe which is hovering around 95C on both ports that are active.

As you say none of this is cheap; especially annoying because I think I broke one of the Mikrotik SFPs tonight pulling it from the CRS305-1G-4S+ .. the metal clip came off when I was trying to pull it out. Got it out eventually but I suspect it's a $100 waste now.

Is it cheaper from EuroDK? Most of my stuff I've been buying from Duxtel in Geelong.

4. Blinky

Blinky Member

Well that might work out well in the experiment cuz I went the other way and got 8 kits of the ipolex.

While a very knowledgeable man, he is usually the most expensive. I bought my very first routerboard from him, ooo nearly close to 20 years ago now.

Yes, 99% of the time. The best part about them is the support, really good even after over a year from purchase. I don't know of anyone that offers the extra warranty, it has saved me once.

Money? I'll let you compare, that might be best.

I was in a rush so I paid with PayPal and got slugged in the process.
    It ended up costing me $588 AUD (with everything)

Aetherone has recently bought one too and his was $610 including delivery. When he posts his update it should be good.

5. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

I think that's my biggest problem; when I decide I want something I want it yesterday and at least I can get next day from Duxtel. I also bought a Mikrotik switch from wisp.net.au in January; they were a bit cheaper on 1 switch, Duxtel on the others (at least in this country; cheaper than what I found on Amazon etc anyway).

Waiting for delivery from Latvia sounds painful at the moment :)

I did the same, bought a Routerboard+case from Duxtel .... ~15 years ago. It's still brand new in box, I found it recently :)

All my network is 10G/multi-gig ready, but the takeup of NICs on client devices is painful. To the point where I've considered buying an M1 MAC w/10Gb and running Ubuntu on it. I bought a couple of NUCs recently for a little Proxmox setup; at least they're 2.5G but it's nowhere near the same. At least the NAS' and my desktop are.

6. Blinky

Blinky Member

That's why I paid extra for the courier.

Hold very still and I'll read your mind... It's one of these: https://mikrotik.com/product/rb450gx4

You haven't got any Mellanox cards from eBay? They'll be some up there <points to the trolley rack> for sure.
    I've got 2 x dual port 2.5Gb NICs here that I have never used, just screaming out for someone to buy. It generally helps if I advertised them I guess.

7. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

Haha yes I do believe you're right, an RB450.

The problem is most of my kit doesn't take cards, I have a LOT of mini PCs.. only device (aside from NAS' which are 10G) that accepts a PCI card is my desktop. It's easier to get some stuff from AliExpress or some NUCs for tear down/test environments than build something and I don't want real servers (I have real servers, they're in a colo in Florida).

I do have a number of USB3 -> 5Gb adapters. They're OK, run around 3.5Gb/s (USB limit w/overheads) but they are unreliable at times. And Thunderbolt is expensive..

Yeah I keep thinking I should sell a bunch of crap. I just can't be bothered?

I guess "when is consumer 10Gb going to happen?" is still somewhere in the distance. The kit is .. achievable now, a couple of $K will get you pretty well done on any consumer network, it's certainly not at the point where your NUCs and normal devices carry 10Gb ports. Still, when it comes time to replace my Google wifi mesh at least I'll be able to use 2.5Gb backhaul on a decent kit.

8. Blinky

Blinky Member

Woohoo! now if I could just get that talent to make me money. :rolleyes:

Yup, NUCs and Dell Optiplex Micros here, but I'm coming off the NUCs - just three more to sell. Those 'Plugable' branded 2.5Gb dongles have been good. Unless you are in BSD-land you are pretty safe with RealTek chipsets with modern OS(s).

<hangs head> yeah, yeah it is and I have four of them. Not one of them is in use anymore. But they are there on the rack should I need them, right? :Paranoid:
    Damn, the price has actually gone up over time!

Haha, this is like a therapy session for me. Do you have a membership card for this place too?

It's a hobby that doesn't give you cancer I guess. ;)

9. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

Haha no but I definitely belong there..

I have ..
    Thecus NAS with 5 x 2TB drives
    HP Microserver with 4 x 3TB
    5 bay Synology with 5 x 4TB
    6 bay Synology with 6 x 10TB
    8 bay Synology with 5 x 18TB and 3 slots to fill..

I don't know why. Every time I buy a new NAS because the old one is running out of space and I CBF'd cleaning any up I replace all the drives too so they're new. Most of the NAS' have the 5Gb USB dongles, the 8 bay is getting a 10G card. I really should try to sell some of the old NAS... and my old desktop PCs. And spare monitors. I think I'm just a PC hoarder, not a data hoarder :)

Blinky likes this.
  10. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

Does anybody know much about Intel X520 adapters?

I think that's what it is.. I happened upon some 10G cards from work ages ago which I just found wrapped in some static bags; they're Oracle badged P/N 7051223

Looking into it, they appear to be model E69818 which comes up via various Googlage as Intel X520 dual SFP+ cards.

Anybody know what restrictions, if any, Oracle put on things so they only work in Sun badged hardware? Will they work in a Synology? The compatibility list suggests it will; just not sure, if they're restricted, where you'd find unlocked firmware..

Thanks!

11. Blinky

Blinky Member

The bits have started to arrive, and bang on three business days too. You can't beat those Latvian Alpacas for speed.

10Gtek are putting their transceivers in little metal boxes now, I hope they like heat. ;)

Aetherone have you got your stuff yet?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  12. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Yeah Blinky, imagine if mikrotik got some of their speedy alpaccas to work on actually releasing routeros 7 :p

Blinky likes this.
  13. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

Wanted to buy a CSS326-24G-2S+RM last night. Nobody has them in stock for ages. Then I got distracted and maybe I'll revisit it later.

On the positive side I got the Oracle/Intel X520 working in my desktop PC with the CRS305-1G-4S+IN (used an SFP from the 2nd port in the card in the switch); works beautifully. So my other card can be tested in the Synology now.

14. Blinky

Blinky Member

https://www.eurodk.com/en/products/crs/cloud-smart-switch-326-24g-2srm
    Order with the EU plug as there is 31 in stock.

$163usd (3 Business day delivery included).
    You can pay with PayPal or credit cards.
    PayPal price with fee in aud is $211

Hope that helps.

15. cvidler

cvidler Member

No experience with the Oracle versions specifically , but I've used (literally hundreds of) OEM and Dell/HP/IBM rebadges of the X520's never any problems, they all run stock Intel firmware.

solid cards, good driver support, plenty of offload options (the 82599ES chipset is pretty powerful, and programmable - why I was using them, doing fancy non-standard network stuff with them back in the mid-late 00's).

16. davros123

davros123 Member

Also not Oracle specific, but love 82599 cards.
    Got em all over the house :) and cheap as chips
    upload_2021-10-27_18-46-45.png

17. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Anyone know how they compare to X710 cards? (for Windows 10). Also, heat-wise?

18. cvidler

cvidler Member

one thing to keep in mind, is any server card is expecting (designed for) bulk amounts of air forced over it, they'll get very hot if you try and run them in a silent build PC (or any one where there's not much air flow over the PCIe slots). so consider adding a fan if you want to keep temps down.

Blinky and Gibbon like this.
  19. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Yeah, that's why I'm a bit curious. My case has good airflow (I'm not into the tiny silent PC thing ;) ), but it looks like the only spot I can put a 10Gb card is in the bottom slot, with not a lot of free space down to the PSU shroud. Not ideal. Might have to look at trying to improve the airflow down there somehow.

I did read somewhere that the X710 runs a bit cooler, but I don't know if that's right or not.

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

Gibbon likes this.