1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

When is consumer 10GbE going to happen?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Smokin Whale, Sep 21, 2014.

1. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

I'd love to get fibre run through the place, but I think it's just too damn hard without massive damage. It's a 3 storey townhouse. As existing cabling is all bundled together and tied inside the walls I can't simply use the existing links to pull new cables through etc.. I think I'd just have to rip open walls. I have no idea where the connection between floors goes etc; I got the plans from the council but it's nowhere near that detailed. Maybe if we ever renovate. edit: With that said, if I was getting the place cabled from scratch I'd 100% run fibre alongside copper so then I can choose best solution for each space.

My CRS326 arrives tomorrow so anything in the garage that's 1G can be moved onto that, and all the 10G/multigig can stay on the CRS312, and then I think my network is complete.. until I replace the next thing :)

So far I've hit things with 1TB of data in iperf, hasn't dropped a ping. So either I managed to damage the uplink cable for the switch when I swapped my desktop PC's connection to fibre the other day or I was right on the edge that the Mikrotik SFP would accept but the FlyPro wouldn't at that length. Maybe that was part of the reason for the insane temperature.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  2. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

And terminations.

Whilst I never got around to getting my structured cabling credentials I did offside for registered cablers quite a few times when I was an apprentice, and did hundreds, if not thousands of terminations on Cat5 and Cat5e. It was during the period when 1Gbe was starting to become mainstream so we had to test to 1Gb/s and can remember how much of a pain in the arse it was as even though the cable would say Cat5e on the box the quality certainly did vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. You would fit off two cables that ran from the same point A to point B, brand X would pass and brand Y wouldn't. Same would happen if you had a Panduit patch panel and a Clipsal one, one would pass the other didn't, even though they were both certified to 1Gbe.

Drove us all nuts until the manufacturers QA matured to the point where it just didn't seem to happen anymore.

3. bcann

bcann Member

Its people still trying to wring that last bit of performance out of cat 5/5e. Its why i always say, throw the highest cat whatever cable of the day you can afford to put in your house (assuming new build, or a complete rip and replace) because realistically, that cable is gonna never get upgraded until that house is pulled down. Its also why these other BS standards like 2.5/5 have muddied the waters, and why most people go fuck it, and just throw in wireless, which never meets its supposed link speeds.

I threw in Cat 6a, into my new build, and at worst, the longest run would be under 30M, so it supposedly would support 10Gbit @ 100M lengths. and maybe 40Gbit at very short lengths.

4. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

While the S+RJ10 is known to run pretty damn warm, perhaps it's configured to blast signal down the cable, wattage be damned.
    I'd be interested in the results of keeping the new copper and swapping the MKT's back in :D

Update for me: fibres onboard with the courier today woo.
    Asus finally responded to confirm I'd done a fresh windows on the test bed and were using their driver. Yes and yes as per my first communication to them. I can tell they're going to be really helpful...

5. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

I might do that one day, though that's only for the office link. Garage link was brand new cabling I got put in after we moved in, all cat6a and only ~10m from end to end and it was only a degree or two different (though on the css610-8g-2s+in the SFP ports are right next to each other and A could've affected B).

When I get the electrician who ran it back in I might ask if he can run me a pair of fibres too.

6. Blinky

Blinky Member

I've had the weirdest problem this afternoon with the 10Gb section of the network, it was timing itself out, to cool off - I shit you not.

I finally tracked it down to just one transceiver at the trunk bridge from copper to fibre, guess which one it was, yep a genuine Mikrotik S+RJ10 one! The condition would repeat once you restarted the data flow again. One of the interesting signs was that that transceiver was reporting as a 5Gb connection, along with the 88*c temp. So anyway, I got desperate and put a heatsink on the transceiver and moved the 1Gb transceiver over one cage to be next to the 10Gb fibre transceiver. The temp is still high fluxing 87-89*c and it is still cutting out every now and then so I might have to get a fan for it. :confused::(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    macktheknife likes this.
  7. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Is that one of those cheap & cheerful "cat 7" flat cables?
    My experience with that style of cable over the years has been decidedly crappy - from cat6 1gbps version from MSY that don't to 10g cat7 ebay versions that can't. I'm not able to find it now but there was a YouTube some years ago where the presenter put these kinds of cables over a high end analyser. They all failed. Some by a little, some miserably.

8. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

That's exactly what I replaced (10m flat cat7) with a 3m cat6a where the link started flapping when I replaced the remote end's S+RJ10 w/FlyPro (edit: I specifically bought it not for 10G capabilities, but because I needed to run it under a rug at a previous place; so it fit that bill perfectly)

Blinky I whole heartedly can recommend the FlyPro copper SFPs to replace the S+RJ10. Mine have stabilized around 50C down from 92C. As I've said I don't actually trust the temperatures on any of them (and I also had an identical GPU heatsink like yours on them) however mine went from too hot to touch the S+RJ10 to .. hot, but "comfortable" so I'm inclined to believe it (and in the same switch that you have). Mine started cutting out a couple of weeks ago as the weather got warmer, and it was bouncing off its heat cap; that's why I swapped my actual desktop PC from copper to fibre (the Intel/Oracle NIC a few pages back).

Also some Oracle badged (report as Avago in switch) fibre SFPs I borrowed from work report in at 45C and they don't feel a great deal hotter cooler than the FlyPro.

Aetherone likes this.
  9. Blinky

Blinky Member

Yes it was the only one but is gone now. I now know why it was there too, because trying to change it pushes the 77 oled which must have been why I had left it. Anyway, all Cat6 or above now, even in the walls and the tv is still standing.

Aetherone likes this.
  10. Blinky

Blinky Member

Well there is $1100 of whatever I said I ordered coming from Amazon, so I'll see what they are later on - cheers.

Do your FLYPROs report as fibre when they are copper ones?
    Like this:
    https://ibb.co/rynYnxZ

11. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

Yes they do; they show as LC connected fibre (850nm). I reckon they do it that way to trick some switches that wouldn't take a copper 10G SFP.

12. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

fs.com copper SFPs also report as fibre. They feel very hot to touch - not hot enough to burn when handling but also not comfortable to hold, but they don't report temp so not actually sure how hot they're getting. No reliability issues (that's the 30m variety).

I do wonder how many issues may actually be the switch they're in struggling to deal with the heat rather than the SFP itself.

13. Blinky

Blinky Member

I think I might stick with my order of 16 x Ipolex Transceivers. They come up as OEM and don't report and power details or temperatures which would normally be a strike against them, but because my new Mikrotik switch ramps up the fans once the transceiver temps get over 40*c (props to Aetherone for that info) it might actually work in their favour.

14. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Bloody ebay morons. Order a batch of Intel optics, get Intel optics. They all test out as working great so awesome.
    Order a second batch of Intel, get sent Finisar instead.
    Now OCD won't let me have mismatching gear; and the Finisar do work just fine at 10g but they also won't neg to 1g on my legacy gear like the Intel do.
    FFFFFFffffffffff

15. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Just get your money back and they'll prob not even ask for them to be returned

16. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Yeah, they wanted them back. Return post to China was a bit porky so we just settled on a partial refund for the missing features.

Anyone wanna buy some Finisar 10g optics? :D

17. Phido

Phido Member

Its happening people!

TL-SX105 - 5 port 10/5/2.5/1/.1 Switch is on backorder.

1 x NAS - 10GB ethernet
    2 x Desktops ITX with 2.5Gb
    1 x 2.5GB to a Asus RT-AX86U with Wifi6 then on its 1gb ports (4k TV + Chromecast)
    1 x NBN modem with Wifi for up the other end of the House.

I like this switch because it will do all speed grades out of the box. With the Mitx desktops, I will have to live with 2.5GbE until an upgrade. I could have cheaped out with a
    TL-SG105-M2 with 5 x 2.5Gb ports, but seems to limit future expansion

Blinky, Aetherone and macktheknife like this.
  18. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Nice.
    I just burned this months toyfund on a QNAP QNA-UC5G1T (1/2.5/5). Need to grab the big switch out of the spare room but keen to see how it goes. 5Gb is probably a bit ambitious for a USB3.1 device...

19. Blinky

Blinky Member

I have 2 of the TL-SG108-M2 here, one of them is still in the plastic. I'm not sure why I order 2 of them now - dementia??? :Paranoid:

20. Blinky

Blinky Member

I think Frank said they were good for 3.5ish. It will be interesting to see what speed you get and if it falls over after a bit of load. My 2.5Gb ones get a bit warm under load.