1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

When is consumer 10GbE going to happen?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Smokin Whale, Sep 21, 2014.

1. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

What CPUs?

Different NICs support different offloading, and so some will work a CPU much harder.

2. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Intel i7 5960x'es @ 4.0 at both ends. x99 chipset, 40 pcie lanes and 32gb of ram. Ryzen 7 4800U driving the RTL 2.5G.

Not that any of it matters when I can reproduce the issue with 1g copper. 100% upload speed, 50% download.

3. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

OK that certainly rules that out.

4. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

I can if you want.

Blinky likes this.
  5. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

cheers Frank, sending you a PM :thumbup:

6. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Heeeeeeey, they finally got there! :p

Blinky likes this.
  7. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Thanks to frankgobbo, progress at untangling the bullshit has progressed.

With a proper genuine Mikrotik S+RJ10 in the mix, it solves the low-speed downloads issue - for 1g and 2.5g at least and as long as flow control is enabled (it must!) to effectively max the connection in both directions.
    While the S+RJ10 reports a 5G connection as 5G, the performance discrepancy persists exactly as before. Firmware bug in the CRS317-1G-16S+RM perhaps? (wouldn't be their first one!)

So, for me at least, the fs.com copper units are useless. Bugger. I had them running nice and cool too with an old forged copper mosfet heatsink bolted on top.

buggeration.jpg

So to tie together the high and low speed segments of my network, I've dug into the Christmas pudding reserves and snapped up a QNAP QSW-2104-2S. 10G SFP+ from it to the big switch, 4x 2.5g ports which all JUST WORK at wirespeed. It's a dumb switch so there's nothing to configure, just plug stuff in and go. The spare SFP+ port is 10/1 only. Darn.

Technically this leaves me one copper port short, but I reckon the 10Mbps hard-wired electricity monitor IoT thingo can survive just fine in the 1G port of the CRS317-1G-16S+RM. It's raw 1G performance is suboptimal, but it'll do fine for a few kbits of traffic.

Now I think the last thing to do is find a week to rip apart my computing space and rebuild the sucker from the ground up!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  8. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

Nice, glad you got there in the end :)

You've just reminded me with ripping apart.. I installed the CRS326-24G-2S+RM in my kit hanging off the 10G switch via fibre, and have a new (2nd & larger) UPS to go in, so I've decided to re-cable/shuffle around all my stuff in the garage and move a couple of things out to the central cupboard for backups. It's going to be an absolute nightmare. But then, I'm done!!! For now, anyway :)

9. Blinky

Blinky Member

Don’t worry all the boarders are reopening and Covid19++ will be sending us back to the hobby/ computer rooms soon.

10. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

The what what? and the what what? Wait, there's still a world out there?

11. frankgobbo

frankgobbo Member

12. Snoops

Snoops Member

13. Blinky

Blinky Member

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  14. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

QNAP killing it in a space for which "ThErEs No DeMaNd" :thumbup:
    25gig optics are not terribly expensive, fibre is dirt cheap, DACs are not painful, but the cards look like the hiccup at the moment. They seem to be pricey.
    Still, compared to the dollars burnt on 10GbT, 25g doesn't look all that bad, bang-for-buck-wise

elvis likes this.
  15. Blinky

Blinky Member

LoL I just checked out my 25Gb cards on eBay, $610 each! Silicone everywhere is crazy stupid.

16. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Just have to wait for enterprise to decide 50g or 100g is the immediate future and dump all those terrible junky slow 25g cards in fleabay for $60...

Blinky likes this.
  17. Blinky

Blinky Member

LoL let’s be honest, it would be easier just to sell them to you directly! :lol::lol::leet:

Aetherone likes this.
  18. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/networking/switches/92644-usw-flex-xg

Picked one of these up the other day along with a few 2.5Gbe adapters For my DS918+ and Nuc thats pulling docker/plex duties, upgrade was driven by 1Gbe bottlenecking some stuff between those two devices. My Ryzen rig already had 2.5Gbe so onto the switch it goes too.

So far so good working as intended, should see me through the next few years when/if I get 5Gbe/10Gbe capable hardware. I'm already pretty heavily into the UI ecosystem so its a nice upgrade, POE powered to so can't complain.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  19. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

With a few spare 2.5g ports now, I was wondering how I might best utilise them and the 10g backhaul the QNAP QSW-2104-2S has back to the core switch.

So I treated myself to a New Year's Economy stimulator and grabbed these guys off Fleabay

speedybois.jpg

$39ea regularly, but with EOCY codes being thrown around were $75 for the pair expressed.

They arrived today and I'm quite impressed.
    Solid aluminum casing, based on the RTL8156 chipset and deliver ~285MBps up and down. I've been hammering it all day with iperf and it's yet to miss a beat.
    Even under sustained max load, the casing only gets a little pleasantly warm. I'm thinking about grabbing a couple more for the spares box & laptop bag.
    My only concern is the fixed cable. I reckon that'll be the weakpoint that eventually fails.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    Dass Booty, Blinky, Dilbery and 2 others like this.
  20. Blinky

Blinky Member

What you've got there is the chipset designed for motherboards. The next one along, the "RTL8226 is a chip that will end up in routers and switches".
    The RTL8156 is designed for USB dongles over USB 3.1 gen1. I have the RTL8156 in my "Plugable"* & "Sabrent" 2.5Gb USB dongles.

Realtek contributed support for the RTL8153C and RTL8156 Ethernet chipsets to their "r8152" USB network driver for the Linux 5.13 cycle.