1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

When is consumer 10GbE going to happen?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Smokin Whale, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Good catch. Why oh why do they put 5 & 6 so close together on my keyboard? :D
    Still a solid performer despite my fat fingers. Runs a helluva lot cooler than the QNAP UC5G1T doing 2.5Gbps.

I also discovered that if you stick a 3 meter loop of cat6 UTP around the brick for the QSW-2104-2S; you'll only autoneg a 100m connection. Must be some serious EM noise at the wrong freq.
    Not dropping the loop of excess UTP or looping STP instead solves the problem. Only took me an hour to twig to the fault.

2. Blinky

Blinky Member

Huh? I don't get it? You've told me the correct chipset number right? cuz I have ordered one to get that chip 8125!

3. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Nope, I fat finger brainfart slipped when making the original post - I've just double checked and it's definitely the RTL8156 chipset inside these dongles.

Were you hoping to get the 8125 for non-windows driver support?

4. Blinky

Blinky Member

Ah fuck! I've just ordered them for the desktop chipset! No it's not for that, Linux has perfect support for them.

5. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Bugger, sorry.
    I've got both here and they both just work at full speed with [so far] no stuffing around (amazing for the Crab(tm) I know).

6. Blinky

Blinky Member

It's OK now, he cancelled it and refunded me, phew. I didn't need another 8156, I have four of them already. I think the old N40L has a dual 8125 based one in it, I'll have to check it one day.

Aetherone likes this.
  7. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Woo, new toys arrived to complete the new network rollout.
    3x HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 546SFP+ Adapter (779793-B21). Made an offer to the seller, landed them on my door from the US in 19 calendar days for $81 each.
    They're Mellanox ConnectX-3 PRO ENs (MCX312B-XCCT) with HP branded firmware and stickers. Flashing the first one to current MLX firmware was an absolute doddle with flint plus "-allow_psid_change". The other two are still in their bags. They look totally unused.
    I was just going to add a couple more single port 3's but for $10 extra to go PRO! and dual port was hard to resist. :D

macktheknife, frankgobbo and Blinky like this.
  8. GoofyHSK

GoofyHSK Bracket Mastah

Aetherone am I reading right that you've used the QNAP QSW-2104-2S?
    If so could you summarise the SFP you've tried with it

9. Snoops

Snoops Member

Anyone looking for a little more serious 10G switch.. Track down a Ruckus ICX 7250.. Just got mine shipped from the US for about $600AUD landed. 48x1G-POE + 8x10G SFP, full layer 3. They only pull ~55watt@220v idle (unloaded) and the fans are temp controlled - I wouldn't put it next to me but a few feet away they are ok noise wise.

Edit: Secondhand! - these are ~$7000 AUD "retail" switches new...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    davros123 and macktheknife like this.
  10. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Not just used, but using it as the bridge between the low speed segment and the slightly less low speed segments :)
    Currently hooked & transmitting this post over a generic FS.com DAC. Have also used it with various Finisar OEMed optical modules - Mellanox, Intel and Finisar labelled. AFIK, QNAP has gone for brand agnostic SFP cages in their gear so anything should work.

My FS.com 10G-BaseT adapters worked, but being a passive switch they run fucking hot so that's a hard no from me.

11. Blinky

Blinky Member

8 x 10G SFP+ ;)

12. Snoops

Snoops Member

Find me a non '+' SFP port that can do 10G...

Anyways..

13. Blinky

Blinky Member

Apparently you had LoL!:lol::p

MrSnuffy likes this.
  14. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Looks like we have pricing now - around $2k AUD for it.
    That's a lot of switch for the dollars, especially since one only needs another $220 to fully populate it with 10g modules.

In other news, the LAN rejigger has gone exceedingly well. Almost can't believe it took 20 months from first doing the numbers on fibre, to durability testing, to actually acquiring bits, to build out ... with a few hiccups and restarts along the way. Summer proved no real challenge for the Noctua modded CRS317-1G-16S+RM, the main HSF peaked around 45C with the modules running within a couple of degrees of that. While this year was very mild in terms of ambient temperatures, I'm confident there's enough headroom for a repeat of Summer 2019 without issues.

Everything pretty much just works - I'm even still using the fibre I tortured wayyyyyy back in January '21. Despite gross mistreatment it JUST. WONT. DIE! :D
    shibby2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    juzz86, Blinky and davros123 like this.
  15. cvidler

cvidler Member

yeah it's amazingly resilient for a microscopically thin bit of glass.

I've found two ways to easily kill it however.

- stretching it (potentially an issue when pulling it through ducts - if it get stuck, don't just pull harder)
    - rolling an office chair wheel over it a number of times. (if in an office environment, ensure the fibre is kept off of the floor)

Blinky and Aetherone like this.
  16. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Huh. I did exactly this to mine. 120kg me plus office chair plus hard chair mat on thin carpet** over and over and over ... for about 10 minutes until I got bored. It felt incredibly bad but the full duplex iperf never missed a beat :shock:
    Now I did order the thicker 3mm jacket stuff so maybe that's it? Cheap, fast, low power, durable. What was the downside again?

** I also do know from practical experience that the same combo needed just one roll to maim a cat6a STP :upset:

17. cvidler

cvidler Member

maybe the thicker jacket was the go.

I know from looking after patching in a large office environments, damaged patch leads was not exactly common, but when they happened, it was usually some form of crush damage. the learning was use the shortest possible patch lead that wasn't taught - keep it off of the floor..

and the stretching incident was me personally. I was actually pulling a cat6 through a conduit with existing fibre pairs - armoured cable actually. what I didn't know when the cat6 got stuck was it was caught up in a tangle with one of the armoured fibre cables - gave it a yank, and it came free, so I kept pulling. all good, so I thought. until the alarms for a down connection on a fail over pair came through.

I'll have to find the picture when I get home.

Blinky and Aetherone like this.
  18. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

If you tie a knot in it, pulling harder is easier with extra grip!

fibre_knot.jpg

Why yes, that iperf is going through that knot :leet:

PabloEscobar and Blinky like this.
  19. Blinky

Blinky Member

That's great mate, but eh, we need to have a private talk about your "Pablo Picasso approach" to structured cabling! :lol:

Structured_Something.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    Aetherone likes this.
  20. cvidler

cvidler Member

Found it.
    [​IMG]

the kevlar and stainless steel armouring isn't indestructible.
    the cat6 was ruined too.

I did a great job.

fredhoon, davros123, Ck21 and 2 others like this.