When Will Telstra 100mbit start commencing?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Intercept, Apr 3, 2009.

1. OP
    OP
    Intercept

Intercept (Banned or Deleted)

I would like the increased speeds but realistically all i want from telstra atm is to be somewhat competitive with its adsl 2+ rivals. And yeah i know its never going to happen :upset:.

2. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

I would be happy with 30Mbps
    wait 7-8 years for 100mbps
    i get 4mbps

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I don't really mind either way because cheaper adsl prices allow me to bargain discounts with Telstra.

4. Onyx

Onyx Member

5. FiShy

FiShy Member

No, its got nothing to do with that....

HFC will never be wholesaled.

6. round

round (Banned or Deleted)

unless it is sold off, which is the current governments mandate

7. MrSmoke

MrSmoke Member

My Adsl2+

[​IMG]

i think something went wrong :S

[​IMG]
    Thats better, although my upload is faster than that

8. round

speed tests are a scam.

they only test one connection between 2 points, that could have many many points of congestion between them.

there is one true speed test.

go to a few aussie download mirrors, and load up 3-4-5 downloads all at once, and then add up the speed of all of them.

that will give you your total download speed.

as i said above speed tests are a scam. there could be many many reasons why they show invalid data, and all could be totally nothing to do with your isp

1, the speed test server way have 20 people on it testing there speed, so your connection might be fighting for bandwidth.
    2, the speed test servers bandwidth may be on a congested link, so full adsl2+ speeds cant be shown.

3 every hop outside your isp is out of your isp's control

4 gamers shouldn't rely on bandwidth, shore its a factor in lag free gaming, but only one. jitter between hops should be the major sign to look at, and maybe stick to an isp that has its own private national network, it means speading a little more, but worth it.

9. timace

timace Member

Really, does any one of us really need 100Mbps, even 30Mbps? I'm on a 7.5/1Mbps connection and it does me alright. A little faster wouldn't go astray, but most of the time, my download sources can't max out my connection.

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yes, as explained before in every of these threads, yes. I max my 2.5meg/sec connection. I am happy to have an even faster connection to get files even quicker.

11. MrSnuffy

MrSnuffy Member

We've been testing residential FTTP for a few years now.... they're about as competent as a fish trying to walk using stilts though.

This is NOT necessarily true... they have the opportunity to correctly regulate the new entity, and if they do, then everything will go swimingly.

TV, videoconferencing, movie rentals, sharing videos from my HD camcorder with my family.... I really think they should be very careful they don't roll out too much equipment that limits things to 100mbps ... with fibre in the ground, we'll be wanting for 1gbps, or 10gbps soon enough. NB - this is not just "internet"... Imagine if you could share files with your neighbours on a gbps local network.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  12. MrSmoke

MrSmoke Member

well i just downloaded ubuntu off the pacnet mirror...downloaded at 2.4mb/s so thats pretty good

also when i 1st got adsl2 i got some1 to download a file off my ftp...went at 108kb/s so not bad :D

13. round

im not saying they cant show your connection speed.

but your connection is just one piece in the puzzle.

the internet has millions of different paths/end connections and you are only testing one of those paths, which is a invalid way of testing speed.

14. FiShy

FiShy Member

If telstra is is split, im betting the retail arm will keep the HFC network and mobile network.

15. round

im guessing you haven't read what k rudd said, they are going to split wholesale and retail, and force a sell off of HFC and foxtel

16. FiShy

FiShy Member

post link.

17. caspian

caspian Member

they will be part of the network arm - they're hardware.

18. round

cant be bothered finding news paper clippings

http://www.dbcde.gov.au/communicati.../regulatory_reform_for_21st_century_broadband

19. FiShy

FiShy Member

I doubt it will happen, who would be dumb enough to buy the HFC network off Telstra, considering that the NBN will over sahdow any of is capability.

I had a read though the Doco, wow the dbcde make me lol.

20. round

they dont have to sell it,

they can just split it off, and give all its shareholders shares in it, and there shareholders can then decide what to do with it.

and imo, it could be a good investment.

reasons.

HFC will be cheaper then fiber, because 1, it wont be paying off a 43 billion dollar loan, and 2, it wont be servicing 90% of the country(just the most populated 25%)

as long as it isn't over subscribed it will be a good choice to be connected to.